Another Star Trek Rant (Sort of)

unixknight

26 minutes ago, unixknight said:

I'm pretty sure this is satire, folks.  (Either that, or Fether is channeling Rian Johnson.)

Full disclosure:

1) I really did love last Jedi

2) I freely admit that if you slap the title “Starwars” on anything, there is a 99.99% I will love it. 

3) I only made these comments because I know @anatess2 hated it.

4) Starwars 4 and 1 are my two least favorite Starwars episodes.

3 hours ago, Fether said:

Full disclosure:

1) I really did love last Jedi

2) I freely admit that if you slap the title “Starwars” on anything, there is a 99.99% I will love it. 

3) I only made these comments because I know @anatess2 hated it.

4) Starwars 4 and 1 are my two least favorite Starwars episodes.

One of my kids absolutely ADORES Star Wars.

He liked The Last Jedi.

Of course, he also liked My Little Pony and later on Pokémon stuff...so his taste may be wanting somewhat...

As per him, there were some things that diminished his liking of it.  He thinks Luke acts differently.

When he dragged me to go see it, it was a decent movie.  There was no really bad items that would be completely offensive, which is something that is all too prevalent in movies today.  That at least makes it worthwhile.  A tad too violent at spots though.  There was no need to show them cutting someone in half and other rather graphic things.  Looking back at it, there are some things that just really didn't make sense.

For example, they are in space, which has more than 2 dimensions.  Why didn't the enemy guys just go to lightspeed and jump around the Rebels and do a pincer movement?  It also appeared like they were going to have some large and major battle, but all that happened were a few ground vehicles travelled towards the bad guys and then peeled off without ever firing a shot, and a bunch of spaceships went through some caves.  There wasn't really any battle after the build up!

Finally, Luke said he was going to teach Rey three lessons, but I only ever counted two.  Where was the third lesson.  And why did he vanish like he did at the end?

I also though the humor is going to be incredibly DATED.  Will you hold?  Holding?  Really?

And throwing away the lightsaber at the beginning, people laughed, I thought some of that stuff was actually quite cringeworthy.

HOWEVER, as it was relatively clean, I'm not going to say it was a BAD movie.  It's a LOT better than many other movies out there today that are rated PG or higher.

36 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

As per him, there were some things that diminished his liking of it.  He thinks Luke acts differently.

That is THE MAJOR unforgiveable sin of TLJ.

When you're a self-proclaimed Star Wars Fan, you would be someone who followed the Luke Skywalker Saga.  With the Star Wars Expanded Universe slashed out of existence, you're left with these 3 major installments in Luke's saga:

1.)  Episode IV - The farmer turned trainee.  Luke went from the humble beginnings of an ambitious moisture farmer to becoming a stumbling, bumbling padawan learner catapulted into a galaxy controlled by ginormous forces he barely knows anything about.  He is faced with Darth Vader who kills his master.

2.)  Episode V -The Jedi apprentice.  Luke trains to be a Jedi, fails in his training because of his main character flaw of loyalty and compassion for his friends as well as his impulsiveness and lack of patience and so he goes to a battle against Darth Vader unprepared and ends up losing his hand and forced to mature as a result... oh, and he finds out he is Vader's son.

3.)  Episode VI - The Jedi.  Luke is shown to have somewhat overcome his character flaw of impulsiveness and impatience as he becomes a Jedi.  He still has his savior complex weakness that the Sith takes advantage of.  But this weakness ends up being his strength that prevented him from succumbing to the dark side like his father did before him and such loyalty causes Vader to finally break out of the dark side and go through his path of redemption.

So, what you would expect next out of this story arc is... The beloved hero Luke Skywalker finally fulfilling his destiny as the Great Jedi MASTER, being the torch bearer for the light side and passing on the torch to a Jedi apprentice thereby completing the full cycle of the life of a Jedi.

Instead, we got this:

4.)  Episode VII - Luke is gone and his apprentice turned to the dark side.  Okay, we can accept that.  It makes for a tighter, more intense tension as we await (years and years or real life) for the fulfillment of the Luke Skywalker Saga... with the added tension of a failed apprentice in Kylo and an introduction of a possible torch-bearer in Rey.  Two apprentices from the Great Luke Skywalker - one light, one dark... ooooh... exciting.... to the point that we can forgive the stupidity of an untrained force-user being able to defeat a Jedi apprentice with a lifetime of training.

5.)  Episode VIII - And.... we got crap.  Instead of this Great Jedi Master, we got an old, tired, fearful hermit drinking milk from space cows.  And we find out he thought of killing Kylo... hello... this is the guy whose main character flaw that became his strength is his loyalty to his friends and family, even triggering a Vader redemption... and he thought of killing Kylo???  And then refusing to train Rey... and then he dies.  WHAT A MESS.

There's nothing Episode IX can do to save this franchise.  NOTHING.

Edited by anatess2

46 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

That is THE MAJOR unforgiveable sin of TLJ.

When you're a self-proclaimed Star Wars Fan, you would be someone who followed the Luke Skywalker Saga.  With the Star Wars Expanded Universe slashed out of existence, you're left with these 3 major installments in Luke's saga:

1.)  Episode IV - The farmer turned trainee.  Luke went from the humble beginnings of an ambitious moisture farmer to becoming a stumbling, bumbling padawan learner catapulted into a galaxy controlled by ginormous forces he barely knows anything about.  He is faced with Darth Vader who kills his master.

2.)  Episode V -The Jedi apprentice.  Luke trains to be a Jedi, fails in his training because of his main character flaw of loyalty and compassion for his friends as well as his impulsiveness and lack of patience and so he goes to a battle against Darth Vader unprepared and ends up losing his hand and forced to mature as a result... oh, and he finds out he is Vader's son.

3.)  Episode VI - The Jedi.  Luke is shown to have somewhat overcome his character flaw of impulsiveness and impatience as he becomes a Jedi.  He still has his savior complex weakness that the Sith takes advantage of.  But this weakness ends up being his strength that prevented him from succumbing to the dark side like his father did before him and such loyalty causes Vader to finally break out of the dark side and go through his path of redemption.

So, what you would expect next out of this story arc is... The beloved hero Luke Skywalker finally fulfilling his destiny as the Great Jedi MASTER, being the torch bearer for the light side and passing on the torch to a Jedi apprentice thereby completing the full cycle of the life of a Jedi.

Instead, we got this:

4.)  Episode VII - Luke is gone and his apprentice turned to the dark side.  Okay, we can accept that.  It makes for a tighter, more intense tension as we await (years and years or real life) for the fulfillment of the Luke Skywalker Saga... with the added tension of a failed apprentice in Kylo and an introduction of a possible torch-bearer in Rey.  Two apprentices from the Great Luke Skywalker - one light, one dark... ooooh... exciting.... to the point that we can forgive the stupidity of an untrained force-user being able to defeat a Jedi apprentice with a lifetime of training.

5.)  Episode VIII - And.... we got crap.  Instead of this Great Jedi Master, we got an old, tired, fearful hermit drinking milk from space cows.  And we find out he thought of killing Kylo... hello... this is the guy whose main character flaw that became his strength is his loyalty to his friends and family, even triggering a Vader redemption... and he thought of killing Kylo???  And then refusing to train Rey... and then he dies.  WHAT A MESS.

There's nothing Episode IX can do to save this franchise.  NOTHING.

Loved the reply, except that it should have gone in the Episode 8 thread ;)

• 2 months later...
On 12/4/2018 at 7:32 AM, JohnsonJones said:

I like Bonanza!

Not that it has anything to do with the thread.

Neither does Star Wars and adventure time.

Speaking of Battlestar Galactica, I love when Six removes the inhibitor device from the Cylon Centurions making them self aware and Cavil yells, “Say What!”

15 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Neither does Star Wars and adventure time.

Speaking of Battlestar Galactica, I love when Six removes the inhibitor device from the Cylon Centurions making them self aware and Cavil yells, “Say What!”

Nobody, and I mean NO ONE DEAD OR ALIVE can ever equal the famous "Starbuck".  They tried replacing him with a woman.  Nuh uh.  Does not happen, cannot happen, never will he be equaled!