Joy to the World!?

zil

6 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

1) Click into the quoted post.
2) Place your cursor at the end of the line that you wish to address.
3) Hit "Enter" twice. 

As long as there is a carriage return both before and after the cursor, it will split the quote automatically.  This means you may have to hit "Enter", backspace to the previous paragraph, then hit enter twice.  You'll have to try it to see what I mean. 

Oh.  I didn't know that.  E.g.:

• Put your cursor after "3) Hit "Enter" twice."
  • Hit "Enter"
  • Move your cursor back to after "3) Hit "Enter" twice."
  • Hit "Enter" twice and you'll get this:

3) Hit "Enter" twice. 

As long as there is a carriage return both before and after the cursor, it will split the quote automatically.  This means you may have to hit "Enter", backspace to the previous paragraph, then hit enter twice.  You'll have to try it to see what I mean. 

Sometimes hitting enter twice in a row splits the quote.  Sometimes it puts in multiple hard returns.  If it puts in multiple hard returns, moving the cursor back to the end of the line where you started hitting enter, and doing it twice more will definitely split the quote.

If I get more time, I may try to figure out why hitting enter twice doesn't always do the same thing.

2 minutes ago, zil said:

Oh.  I didn't know that.  E.g.:

• Put your cursor after "3) Hit "Enter" twice."
  • Hit "Enter"
  • Move your cursor back to after "3) Hit "Enter" twice."
  • Hit "Enter" twice and you'll get this:

Yes.  Then you can type a bit between the two portions of a post to respond to a single statement or paragraph.

1 minute ago, zil said:

Sometimes hitting enter twice in a row splits the quote.  Sometimes it puts in multiple hard returns.  If it puts in multiple hard returns, moving the cursor back to the end of the line where you started hitting enter, and doing it twice more will definitely split the quote.

If I get more time, I may try to figure out why hitting enter twice doesn't always do the same thing.

If there is text sitting in front of the cursor, that's the thing that prevents it from splitting the quote.

Just now, Carborendum said:

Yes.  Then you can type a bit between the two portions of a post to respond to a single statement or paragraph.

I've always just selected the bit, quoted it, typed; selected the next bit, quoted it, typed; etc.  Now I'll do this when I want to respond "in-line" to a large block of text.

4 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

Interesting

So, that's how it's done...

Never knew about this.

Great!  Now I have two people doing it.  Too bad Scott hasn't learned this trick yet.  It would save him a lot of work.

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

OK.  Again, just in case you don't know.  The "+" sign next to "Quote" at the bottom is the multi-quote function.  Give it a whirl.  I think you'll find it easier to use than what you've been doing.

And when you want to split up a long post into multiple ones:

3) Hit "Enter" twice. 

Dang. Who knew?

3 hours ago, Carborendum said:

4) Then you can repeat this for every segment of the post you want to separate.

5 hours ago, Carborendum said:

OK.  Again, just in case you don't know.  The "+" sign next to "Quote" at the bottom is the multi-quote function.  Give it a whirl.  I think you'll find it easier to use than what you've been doing.

OK, got it.   Old habits die hard though; I'll try to remember to use this.

5 hours ago, Carborendum said:

On 12/4/2018 at 11:00 AM, Carborendum said:

3) Hit "Enter" twice. 

I've never done this before either - had to give it a try.

On 12/4/2018 at 11:00 AM, Carborendum said:

Thanks for sharing your forum super powers

"Joy to the world, the Lord is come;".  sounds Christmas to me.

"Let earth receive her King!"  Sounds Christmas to me.

"Let ev’ry heart prepare him room,".      Ditto

"And (Heaven) Saints and (nature) angels sing",      ditto
"And (Heaven) Saints and (nature) angels sing,"      ditto
And (Heaven) Saints, and (nature) Saints and angels sing"       ditto to the fourth.

I understand the discussions about Christmas vs Second Coming.

But my two cents is that the very first verse of the song is what I hear most often sang during the Christmas season.

The Lord has been born! Let us receive Him..... our King! Let us all bring Him into our hearts and join Heaven and the entire world in singing our joy and love for Him!

I will sing Joy to the World as a Christmas song, and will be happy to join Heaven, nature, saints and angels at His Second Coming too! :-) 

• 2 weeks later...

I see the first verse as being a hopeful description of His birth and His second coming - dual meaning.  And thus we revere it as a Christmas anthem in the same way that we revere the song We Thank Thee O God For a Prophet as a tribute to our living prophet.  You may have already noticed that the only reference to a prophet in that hymn is found in the first few words.  Yet it still inspires gratitude for a prophet.  

• pam unfeatured this topic