Hello from Klaymen

Klaymen

Hi there.

My alter-ego is Klaymen.  I am non-LDS and would consider myself a Christian.  If you wanted me to describe that further, I would say "Charistmatic". 

I work as an actuary and my interests are puzzles and competitive duplicate bridge.

I'm in my late 40's, have been married since 1996, and have two young adult kids.

I look forward to talking with you all.

1 hour ago, Klaymen said:

Hi there.

My alter-ego is Klaymen.  I am non-LDS and would consider myself a Christian.  If you wanted me to describe that further, I would say "Charistmatic". 

I work as an actuary and my interests are puzzles and competitive duplicate bridge.

I'm in my late 40's, have been married since 1996, and have two young adult kids.

Charismatic Christianity (also known as Spirit-filled Christianity) is a form of Christianity that emphasizes the work of the Holy Spirit, spiritual gifts, and modern-day miracles as an everyday part of a believer's life. Practitioners are often called Charismatic Christians or Renewalists.

By that definition, I'm one too.  Welcome.

4 hours ago, Klaymen said:

Hi there.

Do you then go to a phone booth and become Superman?  Because... that would be super cool!  :)

So, charismatic... I know that to be Roman Catholic.  Is that the one?

19 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Do you then go to a phone booth and become Superman?  Because... that would be super cool!  :)

So, charismatic... I know that to be Roman Catholic.  Is that the one?

No quite on the other end of the spectrum ... we believe in speaking in tongues and that all the gifts of the spirit can operate today (not a cessationist).

23 minutes ago, Klaymen said:

No quite on the other end of the spectrum ... we believe in speaking in tongues and that all the gifts of the spirit can operate today (not a cessationist).

Hmm... I'm interested in knowing more.  So, this is basically non-denominational?

6 hours ago, Klaymen said:

Your posts so far make it pretty clear you don't think much of our Church, our prophets, our scriptures, and our beliefs, so what's the point?  Why are you here?  And yes, I'm sincerely hoping for a serious and truthful answer - my question is not rhetorical.

• Are you hoping to set us straight?
  • Are you hoping to leave behind some "proofs" (for future readers) of how wrong Latter-day Saints are in their beliefs?
  • Do you just enjoy arguing and are hoping the folks here will engage with you in said contention?
  • Something else?

I see no evidence of a desire or effort to understand what we believe or why we believe it (as every statement anyone here makes about what / why we believe is responded to with your assertion that it's wrong).  So there must be some other reason for someone not of our faith to come to a forum explicitly for members and in support of the Church, and I'm dying of curiosity to find out what it is.

And once you've answered that, for my own curiosity, will you try to explain why?  Because, as the other posters here will tell you, I'm reasonably certain I ended up on the wrong planet - it's possible I'm an android - whatever it is, you humans make no sense to me whatsoever.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why you all do the things you do.

(And yes, I'm sincere in all that (except maybe the alien/android bit) - I really want to know what's up and why.)

Edited by zil

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, zil said:

Your posts so far make it pretty clear you don't think much of our Church, our prophets, our scriptures, and our beliefs, so what's the point?  Why are you here?  And yes, I'm sincerely hoping for a serious and truthful answer - my question is not rhetorical.

It's the same as every. other. troll. To pester us, show us how smart he is and how stupid we LDS are. What each one fails to comprehend is that we've seen it all before, and we'll see it again. 

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

It's the same as every. other. troll. To pester us, show us how smart he is and how stupid we LDS are. What each one fails to comprehend is that we've seen it all before, and we'll see it again.

If that's true, I hope he'll say so (though if it's true, it's highly unlikely that he would).  But I think if you're gonna be a troll, you ought to own your trollishness. :)

Guest MormonGator
Just now, zil said:

If that's true, I hope he'll say so (though if it's true, it's highly unlikely that he would).  But I think if you're gonna be a troll, you ought to own your trollishness. :)

The antis think they are so intelligent, so witty, so insightful. There is nothing they've got that we haven't heard before. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

The antis think they are so intelligent, so witty, so insightful. There is nothing they've got that we haven't heard before. 

Yes, I know.  Sigh.  It would just be so refreshing if they owned it, ya know:

"Hi, I'm Bob.  You people are so wrong it'd be funny, except hell ain't funny!  So I'm here to set you aright, cuz you've been bamboozled right on outta heaven!"

1 minute ago, zil said:

"Hi, I'm Bob.  You people are so wrong it'd be funny, except hell ain't funny!  So I'm here to set you aright, cuz you've been bamboozled right on outta heaven!"

Such an approach would be, I don't know, refreshing. I could respect such open honesty. (Except, of course, such an openly antagonistic attitude would run afoul of the site rules.)

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, zil said:

They remind me of hack road comedians who get cheap laughs by saying things like "I'm in New York City? Boo Red Sox!" "What? I'm in Gainesville? Boo FSU!" Instead of being original or telling us something fresh and interesting. 

50 minutes ago, zil said:

Did you seriously just use the word "bamboozled" without starting the rant with "look at yourselves."