So, in New Jersey, teachers are required to tell their students

Vort

that little girls can become little boys just by deciding to, and vice versa. But teachers will be fired if they dare tell the truth about Santa Claus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46462356

Lies are truth and truths are lies. Welcome to hell, in the form of 2018 New Jersey.

9 hours ago, SilentOne said:

This was a first-grade class. How common is it for first-graders to be on Twitter?

You'll be surprised at the multitude of things first-graders learn from their older siblings.  And you'll be surprised at how older siblings can twist things to mess with the first-graders...

Edited by anatess2

10 hours ago, Vort said:

that little girls can become little boys just by deciding to, and vice versa. But teachers will be fired if they dare tell the truth about Santa Claus.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46462356

Lies are truth and truths are lies. Welcome to hell, in the form of 2018 New Jersey.

Parenting 101:  Teach your children not to believe everything teachers say.

Forget "gender fluidity" - we're now getting into the realms of "age fluidity".

On TV this morning there was a 69 year-old man who just lost a court battle to identify as a 49-year old.

This is an earlier interview with the same guy on YouTube: 

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Parenting 101:  Teach your children not to believe everything teachers say.

Not enough.  What do you do if disagreeing with your teacher could cost you the scholarship you needed to go to the college you wanted?  And if you fail to put the "teacher's answer" on the test answer sheet, then you lose it all.

Here's a fairly innocuous example.  But just extrapolate it to the current topic.

I had an English teacher who insisted that the difference between "number" and "amount" was that you can count things that have a number, but you can't count things that have an amount.

That alone seemed ok (though not really explicative).  But she used as an example: There are so many stars in the sky, you can't count them.  So, it's "amount of stars" in the sky.

I objected pointing out the correct meaning of "counting" in this context.  She disagreed.  We simply moved on to the rest of the class time.

A week later, we were given a test.  Guess what example was on the test?

I got everything else right.  But I answered "number".

I failed the whole test because she was angry with me.

Now, substitute the transgender thing into a final exam.  (And, yes, you can bet that children will be required to say it or write it or something or else they won't be allowed to pass).  What do you do then?

Edited by Guest

I almost failed my medical school psych rotation.  

I refused to call homosexuality a normal variant.

And I butted heads with one of the professors that was instrumental in coming up with the diagnosis and treatments of ADHD.

Diagnostic criteria for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

These criteria are obsolete.

DSM Criteria  DSM IV - TR

A. Either (1) or (2): 

(1) inattention: six (or more) of the following symptoms of inattention have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level: 

(a) often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities 
(b) often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities 
(c) often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly 
(d) often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish school work, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions) 
(e) often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities 
(f) often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework) 
(g) often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools) 
(h) is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli 
(i) is often forgetful in daily activities 

(2) hyperactivity-impulsivity: six (or more) of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level:

Hyperactivity 

(a) often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat 
(b) often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected 
(c) often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to subjective feelings of restlessness) 
(d) often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly 
(e) is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor" 
(f) often talks excessively

Impulsivity

(g) often blurts out answers before questions have been completed 
(h) often has difficulty awaiting turn 
(i) often interrupts or intrudes on others

I argued that these criteria basically describe normal children.  

I ‘m pretty sure that she hated me and at one moment during an argument she blurted out “You have ADHD!”

I laughed and took the C.

Edited by mikbone

10 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Now, substitute the transgender thing into a final exam.  (And, yes, you can bet that children will be required to say it or write it or something or else they won't be allowed to pass).  What do you do then?

Everybody goes through this in life, not just kids in school.  So kids will need to learn how to handle these things because they're gonna need that experience later on in life.

The solution can be encapsulated in this one sentence:  Choose your battles.

Just now, anatess2 said:

Everybody goes through this in life, not just kids in school.  So kids will need to learn how to handle these things because they're gonna need that experience later on in life.

The solution can be encapsulated in this one sentence:  Choose your battles.

Let me repeat the concerning (and quite realistic) potential.

24 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

disagreeing with your teacher could cost you the scholarship you needed to go to the college you wanted?  And if you fail to put the "teacher's answer" on the test answer sheet, then you lose it all.

5 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Let me repeat the concerning (and quite realistic) potential.

And let me repeat the solution:  Choose your battles.

There are battles worth risking losing everything for and there are battles where it's better to retreat to be able to fight another day.  Learn to know which is which as every battle and every situation is unique to one's circumstance and your mother is not always there to analyze the situation and choose for you.

Edited by anatess2

4 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

And let me repeat the solution:  Choose your battles.

There are battles worth losing everything for and there are battles where it's better to retreat to be able to fight another day.  Learn to know which is which as every battle and every situation is unique to one's circumstance and your mother is not always there to choose for you.

You think that a teacher with the power to ruin your life is somewhere you simply "choose your battles? 

Perhaps you didn't get the full extremity of my prediction for where things are going.

Imagine that every year your child is taught all the academics that you expect.  But every year, they have to take a "sensitivity" class.  And the final exam which is worth 100% of the grade in the class has only one question:  Is Gender Fixed for Fluid?

If he answers wrong, the child does not go to the next grade. 

EVERY year.

You might think this is an extreme example.  It certainly is.  But I fear it is 98% probable in the next 50 years if we don't turn things around.

Edited by Guest

Guest MormonGator

@Carborendum &  @Vort

You might not believe this, but not every teacher is a hardcore SJW determined to get those nasty conservatives every time they can. Even the liberal ones usually care about high academic standards and fairness. Sure, you'll meet the occasional whack job-but you'll also meet the occasional conservative whack job as well, just not in college. 

1 minute ago, MormonGator said:

@Carborendum &  @Vort

You might not believe this, but not every teacher is a hardcore SJW determined to get those nasty conservatives every time they can. Even the liberal ones usually care about high academic standards and fairness. Sure, you'll meet the occasional whack job-but you'll also meet the occasional conservative whack job as well, just not in college. 

Like I said.  Wait 50 years.

15 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

You think that a teacher with the power to ruin your life is somewhere you simply "choose your battles? 

Perhaps you didn't get the full extremity of my prediction for where things are going.

Imagine that every year your child is taught all the academics that you expect.  But every year, they have to take a "sensitivity" class.  And the final exam which is worth 100% of the grade in the class has only one question:  Is Gender Fixed for Fluid?

If he answers wrong, the child does not go to the next grade. 

EVERY year.

You might think this is an extreme example.  It certainly is.  But I fear it is 98% probable in the next 50 years if we don't turn things around.

YES.  CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES.  

In this specific battle you have 3 options:  1.)  Give the teacher what he wants and get an A and graduate with a scholarship.  2.)  Don't give the teacher what he wants and risk Failing.  3.)  Go to another school.

Now choose.

YOU ARE THE MASTER OF YOUR DESTINY.  Nobody can make you believe in 507 Genders regardless of how many years they shove the stupid thing down your throat if you are confident on what is TRUTH.  If you are the type of person that can't withstand that kind of barage then #1 is not the battle for you.  If graduating from that school is very important to you, #2 is not the battle for you, nor #3.  If you are in such a position that you can risk Failing a class and still graduate with a scholarship, #2 is an option for you.  It depends on your situation.

My son is in an Arts School.  He does #2.  All the time.  That's why he has a 3.5 GPA which is 3 points short of the BYU-Provo average for 2018 incoming freshmen.  Our target was 3.8 but my son doesn't feel that is more important than being a voice of reason in his classroom as he feels he is in a position of influence among his classmates.

Edited by anatess2

Just now, anatess2 said:

YES.  CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES. 

Yes, but what is the real battle and where will it be raged?

Just now, anatess2 said:

YOU ARE THE MASTER OF YOUR DESTINY.

Only if you take it.  When you give the education of your children over to the state, you are not the master of their destiny except to the level which the state allows.  Today, in Florida, with the current system, yes, as a parent you can make significant impact on their upbringing.  The state still allows you to.  But what if it didn't?

But if the scenario I described becomes reality, then putting them in public school is the first domino.  And no amount of force is going to stop the remaining dominos from falling.  In that scenario, the only way to master your own destiny or that of your children is to NOT hand them over to the state in the first place.

17 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Yes, but what is the real battle and where will it be raged?

Only if you take it.  When you give the education of your children over to the state, you are not the master of their destiny except to the level which the state allows.  Today, in Florida, with the current system, yes, as a parent you can make significant impact on their upbringing.  The state still allows you to.  But what if it didn't?

But if the scenario I described becomes reality, then putting them in public school is the first domino.  And no amount of force is going to stop the remaining dominos from falling.  In that scenario, the only way to master your own destiny or that of your children is to NOT hand them over to the state in the first place.

I edited my answer above.

The Battle is waged within my son's soul.  This is not a battle between my son and his teacher.  No.  This is a battle between my son's goodness and badness.  Public School is just another battle arena like EVERYWHERE else with teachers as NPCs.

P.S.  "Give the education of your children over to the state"... is a stupid move.  Just because you outsource academics doesn't mean you "give the education of your children over to the state."  I am my child's primary educator.  My children go to public school for math, science, language, and history and in my first son's case - arts, and in my 2nd's son's case - ROTC.  They don't go there for "Gender Studies" or "Sex Education" or "insert the latest socio-political drama here".

Edited by anatess2

Guest MormonGator

When I went to college everyone knew I wasn't a SJW. I did fine, and my BA is in English, which is what some think is an industry flooded with left wingers. In fairness, the only two professors who made their politics known were liberal, but they were also among the most fair when it came to grades. 

Edited by MormonGator