So, in New Jersey, teachers are required to tell their students

Vort

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, mikbone said:

I almost failed my medical school psych rotation.  

I refused to call homosexuality a normal variant.

And I butted heads with one of the professors that was instrumental in coming up with the diagnosis and treatments of ADHD.

Diagnostic criteria for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder

These criteria are obsolete.

DSM Criteria  DSM IV - TR

A. Either (1) or (2): 

(1) inattention: six (or more) of the following symptoms of inattention have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level: 

(a) often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, work, or other activities 
(b) often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities 
(c) often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly 
(d) often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish school work, chores, or duties in the workplace (not due to oppositional behavior or failure to understand instructions) 
(e) often has difficulty organizing tasks and activities 
(f) often avoids, dislikes, or is reluctant to engage in tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork or homework) 
(g) often loses things necessary for tasks or activities (e.g., toys, school assignments, pencils, books, or tools) 
(h) is often easily distracted by extraneous stimuli 
(i) is often forgetful in daily activities 

(2) hyperactivity-impulsivity: six (or more) of the following symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity have persisted for at least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with developmental level:

Hyperactivity 

(a) often fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat 
(b) often leaves seat in classroom or in other situations in which remaining seated is expected 
(c) often runs about or climbs excessively in situations in which it is inappropriate (in adolescents or adults, may be limited to subjective feelings of restlessness) 
(d) often has difficulty playing or engaging in leisure activities quietly 
(e) is often "on the go" or often acts as if "driven by a motor" 
(f) often talks excessively

Impulsivity

(g) often blurts out answers before questions have been completed 
(h) often has difficulty awaiting turn 
(i) often interrupts or intrudes on others

I argued that these criteria basically describe normal children.  

I ‘m pretty sure that she hated me and at one moment during an argument she blurted out “You have ADHD!”

I laughed and took the C.

As a teacher, I have students I suspect of having ADHD or something akin. Sometimes a follow-up diagnosis happens (though I never refer, not my job) and sometimes I am told the diagnosis and sometimes I am right. 

I can't quite describe what gets me suspecting ADHD, but it's always some greater overlying factor than that list. I have been given that darn list for diagnosis as the teacher observer, and it always makes me second-guess what I am seeing.

As a final note I would like to note it's harder in first grade. Why, yes, those two kids did just randomly throw glitter all over the classroom. Do they have ADHD? Are they 6/7-year-old boys from rough-and-tumble households? Did they just have a random thought as imperfect human beings? Are they first graders?

On 12/9/2018 at 10:58 AM, Backroads said:

As a teacher, I have students I suspect of having ADHD or something akin. Sometimes a follow-up diagnosis happens (though I never refer, not my job) and sometimes I am told the diagnosis and sometimes I am right. 

I can't quite describe what gets me suspecting ADHD, but it's always some greater overlying factor than that list. I have been given that darn list for diagnosis as the teacher observer, and it always makes me second-guess what I am seeing.

As a final note I would like to note it's harder in first grade. Why, yes, those two kids did just randomly throw glitter all over the classroom. Do they have ADHD? Are they 6/7-year-old boys from rough-and-tumble households? Did they just have a random thought as imperfect human beings? Are they first graders?

The American Education System from Kindergarten through University is a Male hostile system.  Change my mind.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:58 AM, Backroads said:

Two boys throwing glitter all over the place-boys being rambunctious boys trying to burn off energy.

Boys not obeying teacher in putting away glitter and cleaning up their mess when teacher says so-spoiled brats who need some stern discipline-both from the teacher and from parents.

Ever notice has the vast majority of ADHD cases are boys??  Hmm . . .maybe it's not a "real" thing except a way to codify, disobedient boys.

Teachers can't or won't discipline children anymore.  They think a kid needs to be "talked to", he needs to "explain his feelings" . .which is the wrong approach-and typical for women (no offense). 

Why did the boy throw glitter . . .b/c it seemed like a cool thing to do! And of course it was . . .it was glorious!

Why does the boy not obey?  Because no one taught him in no uncertain terms that he will obey his mother-either through removal of privileges, toys, games, etc. or buy being sent to their room, or by even simply taking a stern and firm tone with the kid. 

Parents get down on their knees and talk "nice" like they are begging a king for he to obey . . .and they wonder why the kid doesn't obey . . .well you treat him like a king and a king can do whatever he wants.

The boys aren't the problem-it's society and parents.

Edited by boxer