Trump and the Nicene Creed

unixknight

On 12/6/2018 at 2:50 PM, Jane_Doe said:

People get outraged because people do.

I don't really care what idiot Trump did.  

As to the bigger picture of reciting a creed at a funeral: in general any religious things/says in a funeral should reflect the beliefs of the deceased and/or their families.  Being respectful here is a big deal for me.  

Like respecting the flag of a country where a sporting event is taking place?

The Traveler

13 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I don't care. I mean of all the things I don't care about, the meaning of 'catholic' in the apostles' creed may well top the list.

After Christ left, and everyone who knew Him died of old age, and their kids and grandkids and great-grandkids did too, A bunch of people got together to argue about what He said and meant.  That group (one of several) crafted a statement (one of several) which has been adopted in varying degrees by varying followers of Christ over the centuries.  We also now argue about what that group (and the other groups) meant by their varying statements.

Yeah, I have to admit, when you put it that way, words like "Restored Gospel" and "restoration" and "led by Christ by revelation via His chosen prophets" sound pretty dang good.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:26 AM, unixknight said:

Agreed.  It isn't the event itself that motivated me to write the post.  It's the chatter from my left AND my right telling me I should.

Must have just been a slow news day.

I believe it was Shakespeare that said something along the line - "Nothing is as good or as bad as it seems only that thinking makes it so."

The Traveler

13 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I don't care. I mean of all the things I don't care about, the meaning of 'catholic' in the apostles' creed may well top the list.

I would like to not care and I wish I could say I do not care - but when wars are fought over something and thousands upon thousands have died in the fighting - I have a hard time turning a blind eye.  But then I do not want another war started over something that is not worth fighting over in the first place.  And yet what wars are started over things worth fighting for?  It seems to me that sooner or later we are drawn into conflicts; not for why they started but to hopefully find some end to it?  And yet there never seem to be an end to fighting over something.

The Traveler