Two hour Church

An Investigator

Apologies if this has been done to death, but who is excited for two hour Church?  I am really stoked about it and the new handbook.  It does however mean I am without a calling and maybe for some time after being released :)

Also if anyone has deseret bookshelf, can they recommend any new testament books that would be a good read before the new curriculum?  

Many thanks :)

Thomas Wayment has a new translation of the New Testament geared specifically towards Latter-day Saints that I’ve been ogling—seems to have some pretty juicy footnotes  There’s also a New Testament study guide sold by Deseret Book written by a guy named Valetta that I skimmed last time I was in a Deseret Bookstore, and it looks pretty promising. I also highly recommend “Jesus Christ and the World of the New Testament”.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

2 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Thomas Wayment has a new translation of the New Testament geared specifically towards Latter-day Saints that I’ve been ogling—seems to have some pretty juicy footnotes  There’s also a New Testament study guide sold by Deseret Book written by a guy named Valetta that I skimmed last time I was in a Deseret Bookstore, and it looks pretty promising. I also highly recommend “Jesus Christ and the World of the New Testament”.

I've been looking at that, too.  I've been waiting to see  a sample.

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

The paperback book by Thomas Wayment on Amazon sells for $25.55. The one by Valetta, in paperback, sells for $32.99. Neither are all that pricey, BUT "Jesus Christ and the World of the New Testament" is $119.74. 😲

Jesus Christ and the World of the New Testament is only $15 at Deseret book right now

I am so excited for two hour church.  Maybe it's because I have two little kids and 3 hours seems like a long time to walk to halls or be in nursery.  

I know that two hour church will be good for my dad. He is fighting cancer and will be for the rest of his life. It will be nice for him to have a shorter time in his primary class. He would never go home early no matter how bad he feels. This change  will be good for him.

I'm more excited for it now that my wife and I just got called to teach the 4-year-olds in primary. It'll be sweet and fun, but also...1 hour just sound much better than 2 all of a sudden.

47 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

The solution is to increase your obedience. If following the prophet means shaving an hour off church, how much more obedient will you be when you remove 2 or 2 1/2 hours?

Still doesn't solve my problem with not enough teachers.  Unless we shave a total of 3 hours.  Then I don't need any teachers.

20 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Still doesn't solve my problem with not enough teachers.  Unless we shave a total of 3 hours.  Then I don't need any teachers.

Shave off 2 hours, so that there's only Sacrament meeting, and you wouldn't need any teachers.  Unless you mean teachers - like 14-15 yo boys to prep the Sacrament.  Our primary are merging some  classes, so they need fewer teachers.  Maybe your primary could do that so there are more people to choose from for Sunday School teachers?  In my one brother's ward, for a time, he was the Sunday School teacher for all youth - 12-18yo!

Sorry your ward is having such a hard time finding folks to teach Sunday School.  Isn't that just 7 people?  2-each for the 3 youth classes, and 1 for Gospel Doctrine?  Am I missing something?

Course 12, 13, 14, 15 and I have 16-17 combined. 

Lined up so far for next year, I have 2 for 12, nobody for 13, nobody for 14, one for 15 and two for 16-17 which is staying combined.  I have too many kids in the other classes to combine.  GD is covered.

3 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

Lined up so far for next year, I have 2 for 12, nobody for 13, nobody for 14, one for 15 and two for 16-17 which is staying combined.  I have too many kids in the other classes to combine.  GD is covered.

Wow.  Didn't realize there were so many kids in your ward (and so few adults willing to teach them). :(

You know, not that long after moving here and observing the speed at which people drive inside the subdivision, I came to the conclusion that they all had a subconscious desire to run over their children...  Maybe I was right.

Maybe if you send the kids with no teachers to Gospel Doctrine, eventually the adults therein will start pressuring each other to accept callings to teach Sunday School. ;)

3 hours ago, mirkwood said:

In our ward, we have 3 deacons, 4 teachers, and 3 priests.  Then we have 5 young women starting next year because 1 of them moved out today and 2 of them are moving out at the end of the year.  You may call on anybody on our ward to teach your classes.  Just send us some plane tickets.

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Hey!  I resemble that remark.  I still prepared and taught my class every Sunday.

Right. I'm a convert too and I loved teaching the few classes I was able to. So much fun! 

1 hour ago, mirkwood said:

Our stake turned 6 wards into eight.  Reduced the number of available and willing to serve.

We had a similar conundrum when I was in SS Presidency. When we got released I was quickly called back to teach SS to help fill the void. It's a great challenge since we require two teachers for every class these days as well.