Two hour Church

An Investigator

This year in our ward we combined the 12 and 13 year olds, which I teach, and the 16 and 17 year olds. Love teaching my class. We have about 20 kids on the rolls (12/13 year olds), but the most we have show up is occasionally 12. Usually we have 8 to 10 in class. We have quite a few kids that go back and forth every other weekend to their dad/mom. There is a condo complex in our ward that has a lot of single parents living in them.

The SS Presidency combined our class because there always seemed to be some sort of mix up with the 13 year old teachers, either one of the team didn’t show up, or they didn’t have a second teacher called, and the kids were beginning to skip their class. So, they combined the 13 year olds into our class, where the 13 year olds often were put anyway when they didn’t have their teacher. I’m thinking it helped that age group to feel like they belonged and gave them some continuity. Plus, I had taught that age group before and they know me. I have one girl who says she doesn’t want any other teacher but me and my team teacher. Hopefully, we can get her to move on. I love those kids, and tell them that every Sunday. It surprises me that these kids like this fuddy-duddy grandma.

My team teacher is a younger woman who is expecting her third baby next week. I’m not sure if they will release her or find a substitute. She is wonderful with the kids. But, she plans on staying home during the next couple of winter months after the birth of her newborn because she’s afraid of exposing the baby to viruses.

2 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

I have been told I can combine another class, so I will have 13 and 14 together.  Now I just need 3 new teachers.

Wishing you well. I hope you can find three who are willing, capable and reliable. Hopefully, the fact that there will only be two lessons per month to cover will help.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:08 PM, mirkwood said:

Our stake turned 6 wards into eight.  Reduced the number of available and willing to serve.

At one time of my life - I lived on the east coast with my wife and two very small children.  We were in a twig that was not even big enough to be called a branch.  We went through a time when there were more non-members than members coming to church (almost twice as many).  This was before the 3 hour block and I was the SS president (without counselors).  I had a jr SS president that also served without counselors.  There were many Sundays when no teachers showed up.  The jr SS president took all the kids under 12.  I took all the kids 12 - 18 (which was about 25 kids and as I said - mostly non members) and then I left a lesson manual for the adults to have a discussion.  It was only painful when I thought it so.  We were only there 2 1/2 years while the twig tripled in size - mostly with new converts.  Looking back - it was one of the best times for the wife and I.  We were young (in our 20's) and too stupid to know better.

I thought to add one other tid-bit.  We built a chapel during the 2 1/2 years.  This was during the time when most of the funds were raised locally.  To help save money we volunteered some of the labor.  I took all of my vacation for the labor - there was one week when I was the only one working (the wife was very pregnant and could not assist me).  I felt very discouraged and upset over the others that promised and did not show.  More than discouraged - I was angry and felt so much alone in service.  A spiritual manifestation was opened up to me and I was reminded that the building was not for me or the members as much as it is for Christ.  I also learned that the building would bring blessings not just to the church and its members but to the community and all - far beyond those I thought I served.

The Traveler

17 hours ago, mirkwood said:

I'm not feeling either of those emotions.  

Someday I would really enjoy a sit down with you for a couple of hours.  When people make promises to me or to others that they do not keep - I get a little ticked.   When someone says they will pay for something and don't - I have a big time trust problem.  But it is not about money - it is about trust.  If someone borrows something - I expect it back.  I am still having a problem with myself because I borrowed something from you - and you did not want it back.  My little universe is out of balance.

When I am at a store and someone has placed something on a shelf that it does not belong - I have to take it and find where it belongs and put it back.  My wife is the opposite - if she decides that something she put in the cart is not going to be purchased, she will just put it on some random shelf and it does not bother her at all.  In fact it bothers her that I have obligation to put it back where it belongs.

I have learned to deal with most things - but when someone says they never do something - and I see them do it that at every opportunity - I have a real big problem loving them.  I have gotten past the hating them thing - but I cannot say I love them for it or despite it.  Except for the wife - she is the only mortal person that I can honestly say I have complete charity and unconditional love for.  There are many others that are close - but I have found that trust is the element that is necessary - if I cannot trust someone; I have not yet learned how to unconditionally love them.

The Traveler

1 minute ago, zil said:

So, when he pulls you over for speeding on your bike, just get a bit belligerent - then I'm sure you'll get to spend a couple of hours together. ;)

I think you missed the most important part - I do not think @mirkwood is that kind of guy.  And that is very rare in our universe - I have met a few others like that but they seem to get called back home more often than not.  I think there are many more - it is just rare for me to encounter such.

The Traveler

9 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I think you missed the most important part - I do not think @mirkwood is that kind of guy.  And that is very rare in our universe - I have met a few others like that but they seem to get called back home more often than not.  I think there are many more - it is just rare for me to encounter such.

The Traveler

Yeah, but he was gonna give you the ticket only because you wanted one.  And now you want to spend a few hours with him, so I'm sure he'll go along.  The "belligerent" bit is just for the paperwork. ;)