Why I Love to See Latter-day Saints NOT Take the Sacrament

If I'm being honest, I don't particularly enjoy passing the sacrament. Of course, it's a privilege to do it, but I like to spend that time sitting next to my wife. There's something powerful about taking the sacrament together every week. Nonetheless, my rebellious post-BYU facial hair doesn't always discourage a desperate deacon from asking for extra hands. I'm happy to help. And sometimes, passing the sacrament offers me a truly unique and humbling experience: It allows me to see when certain individuals don't take the sacrament. And frankly, I love it when that happens. Don't get me wrong Don't get me wrong, taking the sacrament every week is important. It's a commandment. It's an ordinance. It's a blessing. But when someone doesn't take it, I pause. You've probably experience this as well. You pass the tray of broken bread to someone, and they just keep on passing it down the row. The inevitable question pops into your head, "Yikes! What'd they do to not be worthy of the sacrament?!" That's really a...

View the full article

I agree with you 1000%

Once upon a time, I noticed someone a few rows ahead of me pass the tray down the row without reaching in.  As mentioned in the article, I wondered for a flash what his reason might have been since he had always seemed to be a little bit of a "Peter priesthood."  I decided that since I didn't know why he was passing it up, I would pray for him, that he might have strength and courage to overcome whatever he was up against.  I did that every week for probably about a month, and the joy that I felt when my brother in Christ finally took the sacrament surprised me a little bit.  I think it gave me just the slightest idea of how Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ feel when we repent and fully turn our lives toward the straight and narrow.