Holiday Burnout is Real for Moms, and This is How You Can Prevent It

As a mother of a large family, I know a thing or two about holiday burnout. Let's be honest, between the Christmas music recitals and cookie exchanges, the handmade gifts and ward Christmas activities, most moms feel the pressure of the upcoming holiday season on or about the day after Thanksgiving (if not sooner). Here are few tips to ward off the holiday stress and increase the Christmas joy: Less is More via Pixabay I always find that kids get overwhelmed with lots of gifts or lots of activities and the items or events lose their significance. In our family, things have always gone much more smoothly when we limit both the presents under the tree and the Christmas get-togethers we choose to attend during the holiday season. In fact, several years ago a friend shared with me the tradition of giving each person three gifts to represent the three gifts the Savior received. In our family, everyone receives "something they want," "something they need," and "something to read." While this...

View the full article

So, it's our family tradition to give presents to all my family in the US and Canada.  That's about 75 of them...

This year, I have the Christmas presents done by July.  And so I'm here kinda missing the Christmas tradition of sitting down and making presents.  I don't think de-stressing is doing me any favors.  :D

12 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Eat more chocolate

There is more wisdom in this than you think.  The female biology actually requires more magnesium than the male body.  And guess what dulcet delight is high in magnesium?  Magnesium has a tremendous effect on mood.

There is actually a biological reason chocolate is a comfort food.

Edited by Guest

35 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

There is more wisdom in this than you think.  The female biology actually requires more magnesium than the male body.  And guess what dulcet delight is high in magnesium?  Magnesium has a tremendous effect on mood.

There is actually a biological reason chocolate is a comfort food.

I call garbage, garbage, garbage on this pseudo-science nonsense.

Why you ask?

Remove the milk and sugar and the "comfort" goes away.

4 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I call garbage, garbage, garbage on this pseudo-science nonsense.

Why you ask?

Remove the milk and sugar and the "comfort" goes away.

My wife's uncle always had a stash of dark chocolate (not sweet, I have no idea how much milk) in his night stand.  Whenever he came home from a rough day at work.  He would go straight up to his bedroom, take a bite, and chew.  He came down refreshed and ready to interact with the family.

Days he did not, well... you get the picture.

My wife was feeling bad and showed signs of moodiness not related to the female cycle.  I gave her a single grain of epsom salt.  In about 30 minutes she felt more energetic and her moodiness was gone.

Yes, this is anecdotal.  But when scientific studies is backed up with personal experience...

Edited by Guest