Have you ever just really wanted to see a great, well-done visualization of

Vort

Just now, The Folk Prophet said:

On a much more simplistic level, this reminds me of the way they taught Aug 6th chords in school vs. when I actually had the "aha" moment and realized how they really work.

So don't leave us hanging! Tell us! How DO augmented sixth (or maybe August 6) chords work?

32 minutes ago, Vort said:

Unpack, please. (Seriously. I want to know.)

So let's take the key of C for ease's sake:

A dominant V7 chord has the notes G, B, D, F in it. The B to the F is a tri-tone.

A tri-tone is the one interval in the 12 options that is exactly half way. That means it's exactly the same upside-down as it is right side up. In other words, a 4th upside down becomes a 5th. A 3rd becomes a 6th, etc., but a tri-tone becomes a tri-tone. It's the same interval either way.

The tri-tone causes strong dissonance that the ear likes to hear resolved. The dominant chord is enhanced by that addition of a flated 7, which, among other things, creates a tri-tone between the 3rd and the flat 7.

In a dominant chord it resolves inward (in 1st inversion). So in our chord - G, B, D, F - the B goes a half step up to the C and then F goes a half step down to the E - resolving to the Tonic - C, E, G.

The Augmented 6th chord is the exact same structure (with variation, depending on type) as a dominant 7 chord. Aug 6 is the same as Flat 7, if you follow. What makes an Aug 6 chord an Aug 6 chord instead of a Flated 7 (Dominant 7) chord is the way the tri-tone is resolved. Because you can turn it upside down and it's the same notes, but then you still resolve it inward by a half step -- but now it goes to different notes: The F goes up a half step to the F# and the B goes down a half step to a Bb.

In practice, that means that the reverse resolution goes to a chord a half-step below where the Aug 6th was, and instead of acting like a Dominant chord it acts like a alternative to a Sub-Dominant* chord.

Explaining the "feel" of Dominant vs. Sub-Dominant is a bit like explaining how Salt tastes though.

*Edit: Wikipedia used the term "predominant"

Edited by The Folk Prophet

26 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

I had to like the clip because of the face Doga made at 4:22.

He made that face because the guy is wrong. I don't care if that's how the format developer says it; "Jif" is what I make sandwiches out of. It's not a Giraffical Image Format.

Hipparchus used epicycles back in 150 BC to predict solar eclipses and create a working model of the solar system.  His Antikythera mechanism pictured below on the left with moder day attempted recreations.

A7C614A0-DB9B-457F-AA9E-DC74E2C52B0E.jpeg.222aa97d4954ab98bb1009ea7220b9f3.jpeg

F2CE2DE1-7036-45BD-9DC1-3AA1B5C0A521.thumb.jpeg.0451eb654f0d096e0da7d08c3650447d.jpeg

Prolemy expanded on Hipparchus model with many more epicycles to create an accurate model of the geocentric solar system including the 5 main planets in 150  AD.  Ptolemy’s model is still used today in mechanical clocks like the astronomical clock tower in Prague

E9AC989E-FE49-4FD3-A338-37BBBD1DA5D7.jpeg.107f854f561a0365653020c74b0c31ef.jpeg

Pretty cool old technology.

Edited by mikbone