Toolbox

Traveler

Because of the culture and home I was raised in I was taught to work at a very young age.  I was also taught the difference between what we call a raw laborer and a skill worker.  In general the difference is that a raw laborer does the lowest kind of work that requires no skill what-so-ever.  A skilled worker possesses three “things” that a common labor does not.

First thing a skilled worker possesses – Education.  This means that someone has taught, shown or demonstrated for them how to accomplish a task (labor).  But this thread is not about labor education.

Second thing a skilled worker possesses – Experience.  This means that someone has actually preformed and accomplished a task (labor).  Please note that just performing a task is not experience that makes a person skilled – that must have succeeded at the task before they can be considered skilled.  But this thread is not about experience.

The third thing a skilled worker possesses – A Toolbox.  I call it a tool box but in reality what I am talking about is a tool or number of tools that they use in their labor (work).  I will define a tool as a device or method (or both) that makes a task easier.  When I say easier I mean not just doing the job but doing it with quality.

Many times my father said to me, “You need the right tool for the job”.  This phrase usually meant that is I was failing at getting a job done or if the quality was not good – I should consider the possibility that there is a better tool for the job. 

There is a reason I introduced the idea of a “skilled” worker.  Possessing tools are only one of three things a person must possess to be a skilled worker.  This means that to be skilled with a tool a person needs to be educated concerning the tool (taught, shown and demonstrated) and have experience using the tool.

I believe the quest for truth is work or if you will labor.  So my question to the forum – are you a common raw laborer or are you a skilled worker?  If you are a skilled worker or aspiring to be skilled the next question is – what are the tools in your toolbox?

The Traveler