Deadpool

mikbone

It's blasphemous in the extreme and incredibly offensive, but unless there is a ridiculously huge settlement involved, I don't think a lawsuit will be worth it. Hollywood is going to keep mocking sacred things until the Second Coming and, unless the church decides otherwise, this seems like a moment where "turning the other cheek" would dampen the controversy faster than seeking punitive damages.

15 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

ridiculously huge settlement involved, I don't think a lawsuit will be worth it.

Parody is protected.

15 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

unless the church decides otherwise

FYI, the original picture was painted by Harry Anderson, not LDS, and the angels had wings and Christ had shorter hair.

Im torn.

I like the Deadpool character.  And he does have some christ figure imagery.  

The Good:  He is honest, loyal, will fight till the death for his beliefs and will sacrifice everything for those he loves.

The Bad:  He is juvenile, lewed, vulgar, obnoxious, and sacrilegious.

And “any press is good press, as long as you get my name right”  -  they could have gotten the name of the church correct.

We did fine with the Book of Mormon musical...

7A98184C-3A70-4590-807F-274330235794.jpeg.3b7b6155590c0772ca1f6e0acab9cc16.jpeg

986D5203-1EA2-455F-A23E-16A638993524.thumb.png.bd71e05a347ca97b3967c618ca72a665.png

Edited by mikbone

Guest Godless

I first learned about this a few days ago, ironically from a Facebook post by my sister demanding it be removed from the film's marketing materials. Talk about free advertising....

Anywho, I dug a little deeper and it turns out Ryan Reynolds and his colleagues might have some beef with the state of Utah and its Church-influenced laws.

I agree that just letting it slide is probably the best option.  The Book of Mormon musical would be getting ten times the amount of attention it has if the news were constantly reporting  updates on some court battle between the Church and the producers of the show.  Going to see it would become a fashion statement, a show of opposition to the Church and its "problematic" views or something...

Guest MormonGator

This does show a double standard though. Would Marvel have done something that shows Deadpool poking fun at a gay pride parade? Maybe a famous picture of a feminist protest? No way. You can only make fun of Christians. 

But it's still best to ignore it. 

17 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

This does show a double standard though. Would Marvel have done something that shows Deadpool poking fun at a gay pride parade? Maybe a famous picture of a feminist protest? No way. You can only make fun of Christians. 

Yeah they call it "punching up."   It's always okay to poke fun at a group you perceive to have the power, politically, according to some.  I understand the line of reasoning they use, but it's a very flawed and destructive way to be.

Edited by unixknight

Guest MormonGator
1 minute ago, unixknight said:

Yeah they call it "punching up."   It's always okay to poke fun at a group you perceive to have the power, politically, according to some.  I understand the line of reasoning they use, but it's a very flawed and destructive way to be.

I call it bullying. They know they won't be called out by their friends/co-workers in Manhattan and Los Angeles when they make fun of LDS, Catholics, and those stupid Evangelicals. So it's cowardice and bullying, to some degree. 

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

How is it any different from this? From the film Dogma, 1999. Talk about making a mound of a molehill.

673e327587d8be387372fa8bd0e740b5--buddy-christ-good-movies.jpg.a61f51b4da3d3181c7eff3ab3d859950.jpg

And I remember Catholics jumping up and down over everything in that movie, not just this statue. 
Everyone becomes a snowflake when their religion is involved in parody. 

3 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

And I remember Catholics jumping up and down over everything in that movie, not just this statue. 
Everyone becomes a snowflake when their religion is involved in parody. 

Yeah, everyone should just take a breath and calm down.

cc5c1cb5dcdd745498328b902fbf763a.thumb.jpg.7d8d5b4197c5e967a6ee0a286cdfa324.jpg

Edited by Emmanuel Goldstein

20 minutes ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

How is it any different from this? From the film Dogma, 1999. Talk about making a mound of a molehill.

FTR, the saying is "to make a mountain out of a molehill"—that is, to exaggerate the effect or impact of some trivial thing in order to make it seem huge. It is pretty much the equivalent of the old description of a "tempest in a teapot" (or, British version, "storm in a teacup").

1 hour ago, Vort said:

FTR, the saying is "to make a mountain out of a molehill"—that is, to exaggerate the effect or impact of some trivial thing in order to make it seem huge. It is pretty much the equivalent of the old description of a "tempest in a teapot" (or, British version, "storm in a teacup").

Potato, Tomato. ;)

Why do people choose to be offended by stuff like this?  Seriously...  it does no one any benefit to be offended by it.  I mean it benefits the one who created it because that person gets to stroke their ego because they achieved what they set out to do.

We are commanded not to be blasphemous.  But that is not us being blasphemous.  That is someone not of our religion doing something.  So why worry about it.  That person is free to do so.  Would you want him to prohibit us from making our own art?  Nope.

The logical thing to do is to let it go.

13 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

Why do people choose to be offended by stuff like this?

Because it's offensive. 

14 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

..  it does no one any benefit to be offended by it. 

I'd say, alternatively, that any Christian who doesn't find it offensive needs to improve their relationship with Christ

16 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

So why worry about it.

Jacob 1:19

2 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Because it's offensive. 

I'd say, alternatively, that any Christian who doesn't find it offensive needs to improve their relationship with Christ

Jacob 1:19

Yes, it is offensive.  Doesn't mean you have to be offended by it.

And still why worry about it?  You can't do anything about it.  Protesting it would only make it grow worse.  So still pointless to get offended by it even if it is offensive.

19 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Because it's offensive. 

“He who takes offense when offense was not intended is a fool, yet he who takes offense when offense is intended is an even greater fool for he has succumbed to the will of his adversary.”

Brigham Young

I'm not offended, because I choose not to give that power to the makers of Deadpool movies.  And my relationship with Christ is fine, thanks.