Why Are You Here? -for Non-lds Christians

AnthonyB

I know by jell-o you mean jelly (the whole jam is jelly, jelly is jell-o) but what is funeral potatoes?

Jell-O is a dry packaged gelatin mix, that when water is added and allowed to cool, becomes a wobbly semi-transparent dessert confection. It is one of the staples of the LDS diet, just like Fosters and Vegemite are to the Australian diet. :D:D:D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I like tuna casserole (its a regular meal at our house with rice and peas), and I know by jell-o you mean jelly (the whole jam is jelly, jelly is jell-o) but what is funeral potatoes?

Jello- check out the web site: JELL-O Gelatin, Pudding, and No-Bake Desserts - Every Diet Needs a Little Wiggle Room and no AnthonyB it is not strictly a LDS food. My family was not LDS and we ate Jello all the time. It is easy to make, cheap and healthy and us kids (7 of us) loved it. I even like it with 1 cup extra water in it and drink it moderately hot. We also drank enough Kool-Ade to sink a battleship. We also made Kool-Ade popsicles!

Funeral Potatoes- I prefer to use cream of mushroom soup or cream of celery soup and then add about 3 ribs of diced celery, and one onion chopped, and I prefer the simple recipe.

Funeral Potatoes (simple) 2 tbsp. melted butter

1 can cream of chicken soup

1-1/2 lb. frozen hash browned potatoes (shredded are best)

1 c. sour cream

4 oz. shredded cheddar cheese

Dump everything in a bowl, mix thoroughly, cover, and bake at 350 F. in a greased 9”x13” pan for 45-60 minutes.

Also:

Funeral Potatoes (classic) 6-8 potatoes, cooked, peeled, and grated or cubed

1/2 c. minced onion

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 pint sour cream

1/2 c. grated cheese

3/4 tsp. salt

optionally:

2 tbsp. melted butter

1 c. crushed cornflakes

Spread potatoes in a buttered casserole dish. Heat soup, sour cream, and onion in sauce pan, then pour over potatoes, but DO NOT STIR. Sprinkle cheese on top if you’re Aunt Marilyn Crandall; if you’re Julie Nielsen, mix the cheese, butter, and cornflakes together, and then sprinkle them on top. Bake at 350 F. for 30 minutes.

Thanks for the recipe on funeral "spuds".

It is easy to see how miscommunication can occurr! We do have jell-o in Australia, but we call it jelly. What Americans call jelly we call jam. Always made me think that when you ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, you were having what you call jell-o in a sandwich.

Forget Vegemite as the national food of Australia, our real national food is the Tim-Tam. A chocolate bickie (cookie) which holds the record as the highest per capita consumed biscuit/cookie. Unfortunately you won't be able to do a Tim-Tam slam, where you bite of either end and suck liquid through it, since it usually done with either port or coffee. (I'll have to try hot chocolate, that might have to be the LDS equivalent.)

For me it was two reason why I decided to find out about LDS and consequently post on this board...

Firstly, our new nanny mentioned to my wife that when she first meet us she thought we were Mormons. Maybe it was that we both had Milo's and had to go hunting for the guest coffee for her, or maybe the total lack of crosses in the house, I'm not sure. But I'd got curious about Mormons and why someone would think I was one.

Secondly, my mother had a tradition that every several months on a Sunday evenings she would take us to a different church from our regular one. I loved learning and experiencing the different way people worship. I have two boys and before thay get to right age to go out at night, I was thinking about which churches I would take them. I happy to go to everything from RC to SDA but I wasn't sure about were LDS exactly fitted. I think it is important that they get to taste the variety of ways that God is worshipped and the varying traditions. They may well feel that the best way for them to follow Jesus is in another Christian tradition to the area that I'm in and as long as they are following the Lord, I'd be more than happy with that.

Please forgive the typos in the heading, it was 5:30am, and I can't work out how to change it.

That's a fantastic thing to do for your kids. That's a great way to let them experience Christianity in any way it's worshiped, and have a chance to share what you've learned with others. I think Christianity (including the LDS church) should come together as a whole and be more tolerant of each other's beliefs. I know that's an easy thing to say yet such a hard thing to do, but I think that over time that's what's going to happen anyway. I'm LDS but I just thought I'd add that comment :P

Hidden

I read a blog called Mormanity and it just clicked. I could see the reasons why I lapsed as a fundamentalist probably wasn't all that uncommon, that the beliefs this guy has were well reasoned out and I liked the sense of humour that he kept under a bit of flak. I guess curiousity and wanting to 'know'.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm here because my family has a lot of debt and I'd read on some frugal message board that LDS are happy to sell food items in bulk. Though I've been informed otherwise, I'm staying for many reasons:

Since 9-11 & Katrina, I've become aware that we all need to be prepared for disasters. The information here is outstanding; the folks here are incredibly nice; I love learning new things.

Sincerely,

Jean

Guest Malcolm

Well, thank you Jean-Not-Lds-but-a-friend. now that was a long!! LOL.

Welcome and I sincerely hope you find the information you are looking for. Feel free to ask about. Lots of smart people here, me excluded of course.

Enjoy

well let me see, why am I on here, I was meeting with the missionaries to get baptised, but I have stopped all meetings, and took a long look at what I believe and have come to find that My beliefs are true, not to say, what the LDS church isnt part of the truth, But I now find no truth in the Book of Mormon, Nor consider Joseph Smith a Prophet at all. The Catholic Church Teaches the Bible is Complete and there is no need for Continuous revelation until Christ comes again. My beliefs, I dont reject the LDS beliefs, just dont personally belief them anymore.

Guest Malcolm

well let me see, why am I on here, I was meeting with the missionaries to get baptised, but I have stopped all meetings, and took a long look at what I believe and have come to find that My beliefs are true, not to say, what the LDS church isnt part of the truth, But I now find no truth in the Book of Mormon, Nor consider Joseph Smith a Prophet at all. The Catholic Church Teaches the Bible is Complete and there is no need for Continuous revelation until Christ comes again. My beliefs, I dont reject the LDS beliefs, just dont personally belief them anymore.

I certainly understand you want to retain the traditions of your family. But it is also certain that there is no where in the Bible a scripture that says that there will be no more revelation until the second coming of Christ.

The bible says that a book was written for the tribe of Judah and another for the tribe of Mannasseh (The son of Joesph, the one who was sold into slavery), so the rest of the bible completes the stick of Judah, as it is quoted, and as for Mannasseh, that is the book of mormon, how can people say it isn't true when the bible distinctly says it is?

• 2 weeks later...
Hidden

I know this LDS church is what it claims to be. And I love my HF and Jesus and my family and all people in the wrold and I hope, that I can help someone get back tomy HF even from here.

Where in the Bible does it say the book of mormon is true?!?!?

The bible says that a book was written for the tribe of Judah and another for the tribe of Mannasseh (The son of Joesph, the one who was sold into slavery), so the rest of the bible completes the stick of Judah, as it is quoted, and as for Mannasseh, that is the book of mormon, how can people say it isn't true when the bible distinctly says it is?

Where in the Bible does it say the book of mormon is true?!?!?!?

It doesn't matter how much poop is in the brownies, you still have poop>

:hmmm:What is your source for this poop? Because if you need one, you need to message me.

My brother gave me a puppy for Christmas. I just adore him, but DID YOU KNOW PUPPIES EAT THEIR POOP?

I can't imagine all puppies do this. But apparently my Xander's poop is so delicious he can't wait until I cook the Brownies.

So, if you need a dealer, my Xander's is pure puppy poop, and if you make it worth my while, I'll catch it before he eats it.

Let me know.

Elphaba

Elphy, with all due respect, I'm beginning to worry about your 'puppy training methods'.

May I recommend Dogz online forum for chat. There's a forum for puppy problems and I know that you are a very caring person and would just love the Dog Rescue board.

Dogz Online Forums (The Pure Breed Dog Community of Australia)

: )

Wanderer! Thank you so much! I've tried going on line but every site ended up being a place to sell a product. So, sincerely, thank you so much.

I have to tell you, though, my vet told me there is nothing wrong with my puppy and his obsession with poop.

See, I can't even stand the word "poop." And now I have an adorable critter that wants to eat it. Sigh...

Anyway, thanks again!

And my offer for Brownie mix still stands.

Elphaba

Hidden

Help! My pup’s eating poo : for Elphie

There are several reasons why your dog may be ‘recycling’, or to use the technical term, indulging in ‘coprophagia'. In some cases, it’s a form of scavenging. Mouthing things (including things that seem unpleasant to us) is also part of ‘exploring’ for a pup, and dogs invariably explore with their mouths. It’s fairly common for puppies to eat their own (and sometimes other animal’s) excreta. It’s nothing to be alarmed at, but it is something to monitor as it could be a symptom of an underlying problem.

It‘s thought that one of the reasons puppies do this is because they see their mothers eat excreta. It’s perfectly normal for a dam to eat the pups’ faeces to keep the den clean. It also minimises the den’s scent, so intruders are not so easily attracted.

Your pup is oblivious as to how disgusting the average person finds coprophagia. But there are other good reasons apart from our own needs to discourage the practice – your pet can pick up internal parasites in the process and/or it can be habit forming.

What you can do about it:

Coprophagia can be a symptom of worms, so make sure your puppy is adequately wormed.

Coprophagia can be a symptom of nutritional problems. Ensure your pet is on balanced diet and that there’s something to chew on to keep teeth healthy.

Avoid leaving temptations for your pet: clear away any excreta as soon as possible. Alternatively, sprinkle cayenne pepper or curry powder on the faeces, to make it less appealing to your pet. Taste deterrents are also commercially available.

If you have a cat, make sure your pup can’t get at the litter box (your cat will appreciate it too!).

If you catch your pup in the act, say “No!” and then give praise the moment your pet stops eating faeces. Call your pup over to you, so their attention is redirected. Praise your pet for coming when called, and continue to deter them from the faeces.

If your pup persists with coprophagia, or if your adult dog suddenly starts to ‘recycle’, consult your veterinarian, as they could have a nutritional or enzyme insufficiency, or worms. Your veterinarian will also be able to suggest additives to make up for these deficiencies, as well as products to make the faeces less appealing to your pet’s taste buds. In an adult dog, coprophagia may also suggest a need for attention, or even boredom. While coprophagia is common in pups, a vet should always examine a grown dog with this behaviour.

I love puppies! But I don't think you should be feeding them brownies. As always modelling works...make sure they're not copying or picking up nasties from the dogs around them. It's good that you have taken your puppy to a vet, but seriously parasites are no laughing matter.

I love puppies! But I don't think you should be feeding them brownies. As always modelling works...make sure they're not copying or picking up nasties from the dogs around them. It's good that you have taken your puppy to a vet, but seriously parasites are no laughing matter.

Thank you so much for this Wanderer. We're on top of it, all the tests show everything is fine, we have the additives, and dog training school is helping, although he is a miniature pinscher, which I am told is an extremely difficult breed. Tell me about it.

Hopefully the additives will cure the problem if he doesn't stop on his own.

Also, the brownies were a joke--apparently a bad one. :P

You are so sweet!

Elphaba