Spencer's Adventures

zil

Warning: Do not read if you can't survive cliffhangers.

SpencersAdventures.thumb.jpg.d57697f2a9c007f5c47dec7e05fbeb99.jpg

My dad found this while cleaning out the closet of the bedroom that was mine when I lived with my parents.  You may need to click on it, enlarge and scroll around to read Spencer's Adventures.  I have pretty much no memory of making this, but it was signed and that's my handwriting (if from years ago), so I must have.  It also seems like something I would do.

My brother emailed the photos (which I pieced together for you) saying they wanted to know where they could find the rest of Spencer's Adventures (see the final frame).  (If there were more, I don't know where they would be - perhaps recycled.)

I suspect this was done between cars when I worked on the assembly line at a GM plant (one summer, during college).  The cardboard would have been cut off of a box of headlights.  My job was to aim headlights (just the driver-side one for Pontiacs), install a side light on the rear quarter panel of the Olds model when it came by, and drill holes and insert screws into those holes for the bumper (just on the driver side) for all models.  This was insufficiently challenging, so I aimed all the headlights we'd need for the day during the first quarter of the day.  Then I'd use bits of cardboard to draw cartoons, make cardboard airplanes to toss to the guy doing the same job on the other side of the car, etc.

(This was, of course, pre-cell-phones, tablets, even laptops.  And I wasn't going to try reading when I only had about 30-60 seconds to waste.  Thus, Spencer's Adventures.)

PS: The one thing I remember for sure is the name "Buck Snort Saloon" - I have vague memories of it being a running joke.  I think we must have driven by it one time while going through Colorado, and it just stuck.