School shooting in Richmond Indiana

Midwest LDS

This story ended better than most. The shooter, a 14 year old boy, was stopped by police who had been alerted by his mother, and the school he had targeted was able to lock their doors, keeping him outside long enough for the police to get there. He committed suicide after he was cornered. But this one has been more difficult to deal with for me than others. He was one of my students. I teach at an online high school, so my other students and myself were never in any danger, but my heart is breaking for his mother. I don't know if she was a good or terrible parent, but having to report to the police that your kid is heading to a school and is armed, knowing he is probably going to be severly injured or killed or may kill other innocent kids, is a situation I would not wish on my worst enemy. Thank God she reported him, it prevented a tragedy, but I can't even begin to fathom her pain, and she is in my prayers. I posted because I just needed a place to process this.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I'm so sorry.  It really does make things more real when you know someone involved.  I, too, am sorry for the mother. And the boy...I don't know what went wrong in his life, but that is a tragedy.  

Just now, LiterateParakeet said:

I'm so sorry.  It really does make things more real when you know someone involved.  I, too, am sorry for the mother. And the boy...I don't know what went wrong in his life, but that is a tragedy.  

I know it really is a tragedy. Thank you for your thoughts, I'm praying for his poor mom.

• 2 weeks later...