This woman might have been the president

Vort

I'm not seeing  a problem with what Clinton wrote the girl.  She expressed empathy by relating a similar experience.  I have no doubt (considering her reactions and actions after the election night) that she had extreme disappointment and feelings of sadness or anger or distraught or all of the above. 

Responding to a girl that seems to have expressed similar feelings after losing to a popular individual as a consoling letter seems to be nice gesture.

I personally did not prefer Hillary Clinton (nor did I vote for Donald Trump), but I am not so blinded by hate to slam her for such a thing, at least from what the news articles have related.

It seems to me to be a nice gesture from her to a student.  It appears the student may have appreciated it as the news says they are writing a letter back.

If the student was happy with it and not offended...why should I be?  Or anyone?

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I'm not seeing  a problem with what Clinton wrote the girl.

Why didn't she write the little boy, congratulating him on his victory? Better yet, it's a grade school election which does not touch her in any way. Why didn't she just stay out of it? Why, because it's another chance for her to publicly air her bitterness. Unless you actually believe that Hillary Clinton goes about searching the nation for children who lose grade school elections so that she may console them with motherly pity.

Why did she phrase the whole matter in terms of "girls trying to beat boys"? What, is Clinton eleven years old? Yes, emotionally, she is exactly that. Her bitterness and cankering of soul impel her to take every opportunity to stay in the public eye, if not as a servant then as the wounded soul. Clinton's loss to Donald Trump defines her world

Why must everything forever be about Hillary Clinton and her failures? What kind of self-absorption does it take to see a little girl lose a school election by one vote and "console" her by saying, "Yeah, look, that's just like that time I lost to Donald Freaking Trump"?

5 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

I am not so blinded by hate to slam her for such a thing

You appear to be blinded by something else for being unable to see a situation for what it is.

11 hours ago, Vort said:

Unbelievable. I don't know if it's scarier how narrowly we dodged this bullet or how willing the US citizenry were (and are) to elect such an unabashed narcissist.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hillary-clinton-writes-letter-to-girl-8-who-ran-for-class-president-against-boy-and-lost

You didn't dodge a bullet, the US still elected a narcissist.

M.

Guest MormonGator
17 hours ago, Vort said:

I can't argue with the latter part of your sentence, but I maintain that we did indeed very narrowly dodge a fatal bullet by not electing Clinton.

It's a vastly overused word, that and "sociopath". Pop culture has turned the term "narcissist" into "person I don't like" or "person who says mean things" or "person who is selfish". 

The reality is that true, legit narcissistic personality is incredibly rare, and incredibly frightening. Usually only accurately applied to people who you don't want to meet. And no, just because your ex boyfriend cheated on you that doesn't make him a narcissist.  Just because Trump is a meanie face doesn't mean he's a narcissist. 

No, Trump isn't a nice guy. Yes, he's a jerk. Yes, he has a big ego. But to call him a narcissist is best done by a psychiatrist who has actually examined him several times in private. 

And no, I didn't vote for him. 

Edited by MormonGator

As someone who grew up *hating* anything Clinton-esque, and thinking Obama was one of the worst things ever to happen to this country.

i wish i could go back in time and recommend reading one of their books to myself back then.  "What Happened" by Hilary Clinton is pretty interesting.  Or Comey's book A Higher Loyalty - which offers impressions about Clinton, Trump, and Obama all in one place.  i'm not saying that they are perfect people.  But i think it's worth at least an attempt to see the world through their eyes.  It's really pretty hard to hate someone, or hate how they see the world when you've read about their life for a few hours.  

Really, anyone who creates an image of Trump based on CNN, or of Clinton based on Fox News - you are getting a tremendously skewed interpretation.  The same thing is true of the books of course.  i guess i'd just recommend consuming information from sources that have come to different conclusions - especially when it comes to politicians.

The more i read about Obama especially, Clinton mostly, and (cough cough) even Trump partially, the more i appreciate that each of them is brilliant and good in some ways, and utterly insane and pathological in others.  Which sort of makes sense, given that the same could be said about every person on the earth today (including me).  

17 hours ago, lostinwater said:

As someone who grew up *hating* anything Clinton-esque, and thinking Obama was one of the worst things ever to happen to this country.

i wish i could go back in time and recommend reading one of their books to myself back then.  "What Happened" by Hilary Clinton is pretty interesting.  Or Comey's book A Higher Loyalty - which offers impressions about Clinton, Trump, and Obama all in one place.  i'm not saying that they are perfect people.  But i think it's worth at least an attempt to see the world through their eyes.  It's really pretty hard to hate someone, or hate how they see the world when you've read about their life for a few hours.  

Really, anyone who creates an image of Trump based on CNN, or of Clinton based on Fox News - you are getting a tremendously skewed interpretation.  The same thing is true of the books of course.  i guess i'd just recommend consuming information from sources that have come to different conclusions - especially when it comes to politicians.

The more i read about Obama especially, Clinton mostly, and (cough cough) even Trump partially, the more i appreciate that each of them is brilliant and good in some ways, and utterly insane and pathological in others.  Which sort of makes sense, given that the same could be said about every person on the earth today (including me).  

I suggest you balance out a book written as puff up pieces for slimeballs made to earn them pretty pennies with other biographical/historical books.

On 12/16/2018 at 5:21 AM, JohnsonJones said:

I'm not seeing  a problem with what Clinton wrote the girl.  She expressed empathy by relating a similar experience.  I have no doubt (considering her reactions and actions after the election night) that she had extreme disappointment and feelings of sadness or anger or distraught or all of the above. 

Responding to a girl that seems to have expressed similar feelings after losing to a popular individual as a consoling letter seems to be nice gesture.

I personally did not prefer Hillary Clinton (nor did I vote for Donald Trump), but I am not so blinded by hate to slam her for such a thing, at least from what the news articles have related.

It seems to me to be a nice gesture from her to a student.  It appears the student may have appreciated it as the news says they are writing a letter back.

If the student was happy with it and not offended...why should I be?  Or anyone?

"A position that has only been sought by boys"???  You don't see a problem with that?

On 12/16/2018 at 10:34 AM, Just_A_Guy said:

BF765B65-DF8E-4D80-BADC-0652E8663036.jpeg

Does it seem rather ominous to anyone else that Michelle is seated in the spot for #43?

If they can just teach her to learn how to debate with only modest ability, then the media can do the rest.  She'll be running in 2020 or 2024.

12 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Does it seem rather ominous to anyone else that Michelle is seated in the spot for #43?

If they can just teach her to learn how to debate with only modest ability, then the media can do the rest.  She'll be running in 2020 or 2024.

If Joan Rivers is to be believed, with the rise of the popularity of transgenders winning... Michelle just might be President 2024!  ;)

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I suggest you balance out a book written as puff up pieces for slimeballs made to earn them pretty pennies with other biographical/historical books.

Thanks.  Sure.  i do try to listen to a sampling of the opinions out there.  Definitely i could always do better.  Any recommendations on viewpoints that express how you feel?  i'd like to try and understand.  

28 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

Thanks.  Sure.  i do try to listen to a sampling of the opinions out there.  Definitely i could always do better.  Any recommendations on viewpoints that express how you feel?  i'd like to try and understand.  

How I feel is not expressed in a book.  How I feel about the Clintons is living through their political history from various news coverage over decades and the damage they inflicted in Arkansas, then the USA, then the World.

But for books about the Clinton corruption... let's see.  The Case Against Hillary Clinton is from before she ran for Senator of New York.  Then there's Crisis of Character, Clinton Cash, and The Russian Hoax...

8 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

How I feel is not expressed in a book.  How I feel about the Clintons is living through their political history from various news coverage over decades and the damage they inflicted in Arkansas, then the USA, then the World.

But for books about the Clinton corruption... let's see.  The Case Against Hillary Clinton is from before she ran for Senator of New York.  Then there's Crisis of Character, Clinton Cash, and The Russian Hoax...

Thanks.  OK - how about this.  i'll listen to Clinton Cash if you listen/read to What Happened (or A Higher Loyalty).  That way, we'll both get exposure to an alternative viewpoint.  Then, come back and report/compare.  

21 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

Thanks.  OK - how about this.  i'll listen to Clinton Cash if you listen/read to What Happened (or A Higher Loyalty).  That way, we'll both get exposure to an alternative viewpoint.  Then, come back and report/compare.  

Hah hah.  I've read both those books.

Edited by anatess2

19 minutes ago, lostinwater said:

Got it.  That is great!  Honestly, i don't quite understand how someone could dislike them so much after having read about their lives.  However,  i will read Clinton Cash.  Maybe then i will understand how, even if i don't feel that way myself.

Hah hah.  From What Happened (paraphrased from memory because I actually read the book while hanging out at B&N):  Trump was just accused of groping women and then we had a debate.  He was looming over me and my skin crawled.  It was a small stage and he followed me where I went.

What a liar!  I watched every single one of those debates.  Not only is she a liar (that's nothing new), she thinks readers to be such idiots as to not check the videos of the debates!  If she can lie about something THAT OBVIOUS... You think you can trust anything she says even if it's just a granddaughter interrupting her speech preparation?

That book is TRASH.

And don't even get me started about Comey's.

Edited by anatess2

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Hah hah.  From What Happened (paraphrased from memory because I actually read the book while hanging out at B&N):  Trump was just accused of groping women and then we had a debate.  He was looming over me and my skin crawled.  It was a small stage and he followed me where I went.

What a liar!  I watched every single one of those debates.  Not only is she a liar (that's nothing new), she thinks readers to be such idiots as to not check the videos of the debates!  If she can lie about something THAT OBVIOUS... You think you can trust anything she says even if it's just a granddaughter interrupting her speech preparation?

That book is TRASH.

And don't even get me started about Comey's.

There is a good youtube video that breaks down this debate and far from Trump being the aggressor-Clinton was actually the one through her body language was being extremely aggressive towards Trump.  She didn't obey the unspoken rules of personal space; several times she pointedly walked directly into Trumps stage space to challenge him.  This was totally intentionally . . .and of course afterwards she plays the woman card.