1 Thing Latter-day Saints and Their Critics Have in Common

The story was not a new one. I happened upon a conversation about religion in a Facebook comments section. One user, who we'll call Tony, launched an attack on one of the leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. A Latter-day Saint woman, who we'll call Mary, raised her shield and responded to the accusations. But the conversation gave me pause because both the critic and the Latter-day Saint were missing the mark. Tony believed that because "Church leader" did "X," he must be a false prophet. Mary believed that "Church leader" would never do "X," because he was a prophet. The truth was that both parties failed to understand what "X" really was and what a prophet really is. So what is it that both the critic and the Latter-day Saint had in common? Because of their biases, they took things a little too far, and both had strayed from the actual truth. What does that mean? We believe The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is Christ's...

View the full article

I largley agree with everything that was said. We sometimes put our leaders on a pedestal and set a pretty unrealistic expectation. It has often made me wonder why we cut prophets and apostles slack in scripture but less slack is given to our modern day prophets. They are men and have faults like the rest of us. I like what was said about the spectrum also very true. The one thing i do take some exception to was the comment made about Pres. Oaks talk at general confrence. His talk was sound. It was a talk that clearly outlined what has been foundational doctrine for years. I heard and read no overtones of condemnation or "hellfire" in his talk. Was it strong in doctrinal position? Yes but that is his calling and accountable to God for that. If some took it to be hard perhaps it was the doctrine and not the man. The LGBTQ discussion is hard one i sympqthise but if those doctrines are true then they must be taught. I dont think that is a license to hurt or disparage the LGBTQ population and i dont feel i read any in there. 

On 12/16/2018 at 11:15 PM, Dave said:

I largley agree with everything that was said. We sometimes put our leaders on a pedestal and set a pretty unrealistic expectation. It has often made me wonder why we cut prophets and apostles slack in scripture but less slack is given to our modern day prophets. They are men and have faults like the rest of us. I like what was said about the spectrum also very true. The one thing i do take some exception to was the comment made about Pres. Oaks talk at general confrence. His talk was sound. It was a talk that clearly outlined what has been foundational doctrine for years. I heard and read no overtones of condemnation or "hellfire" in his talk. Was it strong in doctrinal position? Yes but that is his calling and accountable to God for that. If some took it to be hard perhaps it was the doctrine and not the man. The LGBTQ discussion is hard one i sympqthise but if those doctrines are true then they must be taught. I dont think that is a license to hurt or disparage the LGBTQ population and i dont feel i read any in there. 

Concerning my comments about Pres. Oaks -- I don't have any qualms about what he taught, but I could understand how some people (not just opponents of the Church) could have been discouraged or offended by the *way* he presented the doctrine. I think part of the problem for a lot of people was that it *is* foundational doctrine. People know where the Church stands. So I think it came off as patronizing or twisting the knife for some. But again, he taught truth.

I guess in the article the other examples I used were of prophets pretty clearly making mistakes, so I could have handled the Pres. Oaks example more clearly, because I really don't think he technically did anything wrong.