Stacey Harkey comes out

Fether

17 minutes ago, carlimac said:

I'm sorry. I guess I haven't followed that closely over the years. It must be frustrating. 

It's actually a very good thing that that part of me has virtually been forgotten on the forums.  I can't even remember the last time I had an episode!  I mean, the triggers still happen but I haven't gone super saiyan in a very very long time.  I'm at an age that certain hormonal changes are happening again and things are once again unpredictable.  My SAD is raging like crazy though and if you look at my post history, I've been on the forums virtually all day for many days recently as I just can't get the energy to get up and do something more productive.  To counter it, I volunteered to organize the ward Christmas party and had weekly dinner parties and since Christmas Eve, I've had 3 dinner parties at the house.  Forces me to get up and fight the need to crawl under a rock.

Edited by anatess2

My wife just told me something rather interesting.  At the time we were still courting, she had a friend who was gay and married.  Here's the truly interesting thing:

When he was younger, he determined that as a gay man and a faithful Latter-day Saint, he would simply be celibate. But some time before I met my wife, he met a woman with whom he was good friends.  For some reason he decided that she was extremely attractive in a sexual or romantic way, not just from an artistic forensic estimation of her aesthetic nature.  He was still gay and considered himself a homosexual, but he found himself desiring her anyway.

He sat her down and told her what was happening.  She was really happy.  They did end up getting married and having children.  As far as my wife knew, they were still happy when she lost contact with the couple.

Another funny thing... my wife saw the woman and didn't really think she was attractive. Literally, she was a bit on the homely side.

???

2 hours ago, Carborendum said:

My wife just told me something rather interesting.  At the time we were still courting, she had a friend who was gay and married.  Here's the truly interesting thing:

When he was younger, he determined that as a gay man and a faithful Latter-day Saint, he would simply be celibate. But some time before I met my wife, he met a woman with whom he was good friends.  For some reason he decided that she was extremely attractive in a sexual or romantic way, not just from an artistic forensic estimation of her aesthetic nature.  He was still gay and considered himself a homosexual, but he found himself desiring her anyway.

He sat her down and told her what was happening.  She was really happy.  They did end up getting married and having children.  As far as my wife knew, they were still happy when she lost contact with the couple.

Another funny thing... my wife saw the woman and didn't really think she was attractive. Literally, she was a bit on the homely side.

???

I have a good friend in high school who was actively homosexual. Long story short he got baptized and served a faithful mission. At one point he told me that he felt that he could see himself being straight

• 2 weeks later...

I understand that some people may think a gay person cant change there thoughts, but here is a scripture from Roman12: 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.  

So if anyone has a desire to keep gods comandments while being attracted to the same sex, can transform there thoughts, they just can't do it alone, they need jesus  and with jesus its possible to do all things and be strengthen, it might be a harder path to take.  i personaly eternal joy comes from keeping gods commandments.  I dont understand why some feel there better off and happy not keeping the commandments,  but i know they have there agentcy to choose and the lord wants us to show them love no matter there choices.   I respect stacey speaking out, and I hope this does help youth move forward in faith instead of committing suicide.    Like i said if you read the scripture any one who has a desire to keep the lords commandments wil have a transformation of the mind, and the lord will see them through it. It may not happen right away, it may take years or months , weeks or days.  Just know that with jesus anything is possible and he can strengthen us

4 hours ago, discoqueendiva said:

I understand that some people may think a gay person cant change there thoughts, but here is a scripture from Roman12: 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.  

So if anyone has a desire to keep gods comandments while being attracted to the same sex, can transform there thoughts, they just can't do it alone, they need jesus  and with jesus its possible to do all things and be strengthen, it might be a harder path to take.  i personaly eternal joy comes from keeping gods commandments.  I dont understand why some feel there better off and happy not keeping the commandments,  but i know they have there agentcy to choose and the lord wants us to show them love no matter there choices.   I respect stacey speaking out, and I hope this does help youth move forward in faith instead of committing suicide.    Like i said if you read the scripture any one who has a desire to keep the lords commandments wil have a transformation of the mind, and the lord will see them through it. It may not happen right away, it may take years or months , weeks or days.  Just know that with jesus anything is possible and he can strengthen us

If what your  insinuating  is that faith and prayer alone can remove the difficulty of living with homosexual tendencies, you are coming from a place of arrogance and ignorance.

I know a person that this worked for, but I know MANY more that it doesn’t. 

28 minutes ago, Fether said:

If what your  insinuating  is that faith and prayer alone can remove the difficulty of living with homosexual tendencies, you are coming from a place of arrogance and ignorance.

With God all things are possible. 

6 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

With God all things are possible. 

But we don’t decide what God does.

Im sure he could remove all suffering, mental illness and evil spirits. But he doesn’t. Why would healing homosexual tendencies be any different?

Edited by Fether

52 minutes ago, Fether said:

But we don’t decide what God does.

Im sure he could remove all suffering, mental illness and evil spirits. But he doesn’t. Why would healing homosexual tendencies be any different?

Didn't say He would.

15 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Didn't say He would.

I see that, I just don’t want another voice saying “pray the gay away”.

We can’t have this idea being the go-to response to people struggling with homosexual tendencies 

41 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Then what is the appropriate response?

For me, it's about praying to receive the strength neccessary to obey and follow the Law of Chastity. While God does sometimes remove or suppress homosexual desires, we see that in some who are able to marry the opposite gender, for many God does not remove those desires, and so they must remain celibate in order to remain pure. That's a really hard thing to ask anyone to do, but that's where I believe prayer can be most effective, as it can be for any sin, by following God's promise in 1 Corinthians 10:13

"13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear"

Some sins are harder to deal with than others, but consistently teaching that God can and will help you live the Law of Chastity, no matter how strong the temptation, is the most effective way to help protect our brothers and sisters.

3 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

For me, it's about praying to receive the strength neccessary to obey and follow the Law of Chastity. While God does sometimes remove or suppress homosexual desires, we see that in some who are able to marry the opposite gender, for many God does not remove those desires, and so they must remain celibate in order to remain pure. That's a really hard thing to ask anyone to do, but that's where I believe prayer can be most effective, as it can be for any sin, by following God's promise in 1 Corinthians 10:13

"13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear"

Some sins are harder to deal with than others, but consistently teaching that God can and will help you live the Law of Chastity, no matter how strong the temptation, is the most effective way to help protect our brothers and sisters.

Thank you. I really agree.  I wonder what percentage of people who try to live the Law of Chastity are successful?  I wonder if the percentage differs between same-sex attraction and opposite-sex attraction?

Just now, Grunt said:

Thank you. I really agree.  I wonder what percentage of people who try to live the Law of Chastity are successful?  I wonder if the percentage differs between same-sex attraction and opposite-sex attraction?

That's an interesting question. It may be more difficult just because of widespread worldy acceptance of the sin. Even the world for example, as far as it's values have fallen, still believes in being faithful to a partner. Someone tempted to cheat on their spouse still has societal disaproval strengthening his or her resolve. But the world trumpets homosexuality as a positive good. I imagine it's more difficult to follw a commandment when your desires are strong and 90% of the people around you are telling you your desires are good. Just my thoughts on it though.

2 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

That's an interesting question. It may be more difficult just because of widespread worldy acceptance of the sin. Even the world for example, as far as it's values have fallen, still believes in being faithful to a partner. Someone tempted to cheat on their spouse still has societal disaproval strengthening his or her resolve. But the world trumpets homosexuality as a positive good. I imagine it's more difficult to follw a commandment when your desires are strong and 90% of the people around you are telling you your desires are good. Just my thoughts on it though.

I wasn't talking about being unfaithful as much as I was the brothers and sisters who never marry, are widowed, or divorce.   That is more comparable.

3 minutes ago, Grunt said:

I wasn't talking about being unfaithful as much as I was the brothers and sisters who never marry, are widowed, or divorce.   That is more comparable.

Gotcha, that I could not speak to personally. I think it's comparable, but still harder due to my reasons above..

Edited by Midwest LDS

Just now, Midwest LDS said:

Gotcha, that I could not speak to. Personally I think it's comparable.

Me too, but we never really talk about that.  Is it because it isn't politically hot?  I'm wondering if the struggle to follow the Law of Chastity is equal between both parties and what the success/failure rate is for each.

6 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Me too, but we never really talk about that.  Is it because it isn't politically hot?  I'm wondering if the struggle to follow the Law of Chastity is equal between both parties and what the success/failure rate is for each.

It would be an interesting question. I'm curious too, but it would probably be difficult to do research and generate statistics on a question like that due to it's political nature as you point out.

17 hours ago, Fether said:

I see that, I just don’t want another voice saying “pray the gay away”.

No one says that. I challenge you to find a single instance of a faithful, religious Latter-day Saint using that phrase as advice.

19 hours ago, Fether said:

I know a person that this worked for, but I know MANY more that it doesn’t. 

I didn't see anyone "insinuating" anything.

What I saw was someone encouraging others who have weaknesses to bring those weaknesses to the Lord in an attitude of obedience, humility, and willingness to submit to the will of the Lord.

If you want to twist that into some other message, that's purely your projection.

Edited by Guest

• 3 years later...

Have these individuals expressed an intent to betray the Gospel of Christ?  Or are they just seeking attention?  If one claims the intention to live according to the commandments, what could be an appropriate purpose for coming out?

Edit:  As suspected, in Bergs case he's just completely rejecting the gospel.  I presume the same about Harkey.  😔

Edited by person0