Pants for sister missionaries

dahlia

15 minutes ago, dahlia said:

Y'all are just freaking me out. First it's 'ministering,' then it's the 2-hour block, then it's let kids advance in Sunday school as a group, and now the sister missionaries can wear pants. Where is it going to end? If I wanted changes this fast, I'd  have converted to Unitarian. :D

The sister missionaries wearing pants has been around for a while.  But it was often in areas where there was a practical reason (like malaria prone regions where pants afforded protection from mosquitoes).  

There is no ETERNAL principle that says women must not wear pants.  The guiding principal has ALWAYS been that we wear semi-formal attire.  And that has been dresses and skirts for women.  Because of changes in fashion, women can be considered semi-formal and still wear pants.  

This is no different than men not wearing robes (which are really just dresses) anymore.  This has ALWAYS been linked to fashion trends.  We're just a little slower to react because we don't want to change to every fashion trend that comes along.  But it has become pretty widely accepted to consider pantsuits as semi-formal attire.  And it has been so for many years.  It is long enough now that this can still be considered "conservative".

3 minutes ago, Vort said:

To be precise, I believe the guiding principle has always been that we dress modestly and attractively, as befits a servant of God on the Lord's errand.

Tomato-tomato... again.  No audio.

6 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

History rarely is, Pam; history rarely is.  

I don't know.  I find going back to histories of bans from this site rather amusing at times.  Especially when that person has been a moderator.  

23 hours ago, Maureen said:

When was the last time you saw a man wearing a robe as regular dress attire?

M.

Every time I go to church and see this picture:

Image result for jesus in robes

This guy too:

0001303-1-lg.jpeg

Of course, that is in the past.

If pictures don't count, outside the temple, it would be at the Manti Pageant since angels always wear robes.  

The scriptures and other Church materials say that we will all wear robes in the afterlife.  

Also, they are worn in the temple (this part is OK to talk about since it is posted publically on lds.org):

https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/temple-garments

Temple robes of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, known as the robes of the holy priesthood, are worn only inside Mormon temples and reserved for the highest sacraments of the faith. White symbolizes purity. There is no insignia or rank. The most senior apostle and the newest member are indistinguishable when dressed in the same way. Men and women wear similar clothing. 

Temple clothing isn't considered everyday attire though.  

Edited by Scott