Ether 12:27: The Truth Behind Our Weaknesses

Ether 12:27 is perhaps one of the most misquoted scriptures in the Book of Mormon. This means that many church members are probably misunderstanding the true meaning of weakness, or they are even believing false doctrine. So, what does the word "weakness" actually mean in this verse? And what is God saying? Painting by Arnold Friberg We must first understand the context. Moroni was commanded to continue the record of the Book of Mormon, but he feared the Gentiles would mock the great things of God because of his inability to record them properly. The Lord's response to Moroni was the following: "And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble, and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them" (Ether 12:27). "Weakness" Under a Microscope The failure to correctly pronounce this single...

View the full article

My initial reaction to this was, "I love it when some intern (young kid) on a website tells me how I've been misunderstanding something." Then I read the rest of the article.

Kudos Randi Hardy. I'm not sure I'd say I was "misunderstanding" something. But dang if my understanding didn't grow from this article. Very insightful. Nice.

Particularmente este tema me encanto, saben el día de hoy estudiando las escrituras encontré esta joya que me recordó inmediatamente lo que había aprendido en 3H la escritura es esta:

D. y C. 138:19

19 y allí les predico el evangelio sempiterno, la doctrina del la resurrección y la redención del genero humano 

de la caída, y de los pecados individuales, con la condición de que se arrepintieran.

Me parecio extraordinariamente clara la forma en que esto fue revelado al Presidente Joseph F. Smith.

No les parece...

I have always felt that our individual weaknesses (or "weak things") and personal faults and failures just came with the territory of being mortal (weak), and we all have our own unique set, just as we all have our own unique gifts. So we go through this wonderfully mortal life as a "natural man," discovering these weaknesses along the way by means of temptation and/or sin, depending on the scale and circumstance of the particular weakness. Therefore, it becomes our job to recognize them as they are manifested, either through guilt or consequence, and fully humble ourselves before the Lord through the process of repentance by fully accepting our weak state and desiring that change (attitude). This way, the cleansing power of the atonement can solidify that change of heart to give you the power to resist temptation over that weakness, making that weak thing a strength, or a testimony to bear.

However, I also believe that there is another way by which the transformation of weaknesses into strengths can happen. In my personal experience, I've noticed that strength can be built up against a weakness before a sin is even committed. This usually depends on how you were brought up and what principles were instilled in your life, either by your parents, friends, circle of influence or even personal study. That's why it is SO important as parents to teach our children correct principles. Not through force feeding and control, however, but through example and love. The more compassion we can teach and show our children, the more those principles will govern themselves in their own life.

“It is not meet that I [the Lord] should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.”
D&C 58:26

Those that did not grow up under the conditions of love and teaching may need to go through more of the former process of transformation.

Thank you for the great article!