Merry Christmas + a question

prisonchaplain

11 minutes ago, prisonchaplain said:

@Fether, you're awesome. We slugs are waiting until my oldest gets home from work. We'll probably open presents around 8pm. However, in our defense, we opened the stockings last night. 😎

So wait... you wait till 8pm to open presents... but open stocking before Christmas???

... no wonder the church needed restoring...

Edited by Fether

On 12/25/2018 at 6:11 PM, prisonchaplain said:

@Fether, you're awesome. We slugs are waiting until my oldest gets home from work. We'll probably open presents around 8pm. However, in our defense, we opened the stockings last night. 😎

This reminds me of my first Christmas as a missionary when my companion and I were invited to several Christmas dinners. At one of those dinners they had bought gifts for us and made there children wait for us to come over so we could share in the experience of all opening presents together. It was a super nice gesture, and at the same time we both felt awful that the kids had to wait until 5:00 pm to open presents - that's 12 hours late on Christmas :) What a way to create a sense of animus toward missionaries in the young children; I would have been so disgruntled if I was told to wait until evening on Christmas to open presents when I was 7 years old.

On 12/25/2018 at 6:11 PM, prisonchaplain said:

How important are presents to your Christmas tradition?

The Traveler

49 minutes ago, Traveler said:

The Traveler

For us, very important.  The Christmas Story is not complete without the gold, frankincense, and myrrh.  We don't take down our Christmas decorations until after January 6 which is the traditional feast of the 3 wise men.

9 hours ago, Traveler said:

The Traveler

Mostly fun and mostly for the girls. My oldest (18)takes great pleasure in picking out just the right ones. We love making each other happy and I suspect that Jesus loves seeing that.

For the record my wife and I basically did away with giving each other gifts this year.  We opted to focus our season on others - and to be honest - I do not miss the gift exchanges stuff Christmas morning.  We also focused more on giving time.  One little side note - the ward decided to do away with the neighbor to neighbor gifts with the idea to take what we would have spent (including raw ingredients) and donate to the Food Bank.  There was a lot given to the food bank but as it turned out - we still got all the same goodies left on our door step.  We realize that many feel the need to give to others but with my wife's diabetes and my inability to eat that much sugar - most has gone to waist.   We have the best neighbors ever (including a surprise from a neighbor that for years has not wanted to be bothered by any Latter-Day Saints - suddenly this years is different????)  It is the thought that counts.

The Traveler