We Are Responsible For Our Own Learning

The Folk Prophet

9 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

It's defamation when it's not true and I can state factually you defamed my character. You do that a lot with me and frankly I'm kind of tired of it. It's not becoming of a disciple of Christ to constantly attack and defame others.

You can resort to accusations and telling me how I'm not following Christ all you want. I know who I follow and I know why I defend what I defend. I know what you teach, what you preach, what you've said, and where you're trying to lead people. I am not deceived by this wide eyed innocence act as if you're being attacked unfairly and out and nowhere and no one else here is deceived or confused by the matter either. They know where you stand, and they know where I stand.

5 hours ago, estradling75 said:

If we lose Light and Truth through disobedience then would it not logically follow that we gain light and truth through obedience?  Study is on the path of obedience.   Applying what we learned through study seems to be were it really counts though.  Like a little child who does what they at told to do.

Not to mention that the requirement to study is, in and of itself, a commandment, and so studying is not only a path to obedience, but is one of the ways we obey.

15 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

You can resort to accusations and telling me how I'm not following Christ all you want. I know who I follow and I know why I defend what I defend. I know what you teach, what you preach, what you've said, and where you're trying to lead people. I am not deceived by this wide eyed innocence act as if you're being attacked unfairly and out and nowhere and no one else here is deceived or confused by the matter either. They know where you stand, and they know where I stand.

Go back and read through this entire post. In fact I invite all to go back and read all the posts back and forth between us. You have attacked and defamed my character on no less than three separate accounts starting on the first page. The evidence speaks for itself. You have a record of this defamation against me over and over again. We all know what character you have.

18 minutes ago, Rob Osborn said:

We all know what character you have.

Why thank you. I am a stalwart defender of the faith, the church, the gospel, and a faithful servant of God who, unfortunately, oft times ends up butting heads with those who would promote falsehoods -- finding it difficult to let contamination fester unchecked. Absolutely correct. It's nice of you to notice. I put a lot of effort into standing for truth and it's refreshing to see that some people realize this and note my efforts to contribute to the well being of the gospel. Yes, I do get a wee bit...sarcastic...sometimes...and sometimes I probably don't let things go that I really should. But golly gee willikers, it's nice to see that some people understand my true character as a dedicated -- albeit admittedly imperfect -- true disciple of Christ.

Shucks.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Why thank you. I am a stalwart defender of the faith, the church, the gospel, and a faithful servant of God who, unfortunately, oft times ends up butting heads with those who would promote falsehoods -- finding it difficult to let contamination fester unchecked. Absolutely correct. It's nice of you to notice. I put a lot of effort into standing for truth and it's refreshing to see that some people realize this and note my efforts to contribute to the well being of the gospel. Yes, I do get a wee bit...sarcastic...sometimes...and sometimes I probably don't let things go that I really should. But golly gee willikers, it's nice to see that some people understand my true character as a dedicated -- albeit admittedly imperfect -- true disciple of Christ.

Shucks.

And one who defames others let's not forget.

On 1/5/2019 at 7:38 AM, Traveler said:

Are we not told in scripture that "little children" are of the Kingdom of G-d?  Little children are not diligent in studying scripture - I know this because I have raised children and served as a nursery leader.  While I was a missionary (and at other times as well) I often dealt with experts that had devoted their life (as well as their profession) to the diligent study of scripture.  I do not agree that such devotion to scripture is that single most common denominator that constitutes a "TRUE" disciple of Christ.

I am not saying that to study, fast and pray concerning scripture will not help a person to some degree - it is just that I have had some experience where diligent study of scripture has produced better Pharisees than disciples of Christ.

The Traveler

I understand where you are coming from.

But for crying out loud read 2 Ne 28.

If you are not basing your religious  ideology on scripture then you are probably basing it upon the precepts of men...

And 2 Ne 9:28 O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish.
29 But to be learned is good if they hearken unto the counsels of God.

Children are great (I have a quiver full), but a real man (or woman) will read the scriptures to gain knowledge and the spirit to guide and direct their children.

Edited by mikbone