New Year's Resolutions

unixknight

Anybody got one?

Last year, I resolved to improve my Russian to the point where I could be conversant.  I can now say with confidence that if you dropped me off in Moscow with nothing but the clothes on my back, my Russian proficiency is sufficient to get me to the U.S. Embassy at least.

This year, it's the banjo.  I inherited a couple of them from my mom, and plan to become proficient enough to play a few tunes by the end of the year.

I don't generally believe in resolutions like "lose weight" or " get fit" because they tend to be vague.  I like specific goals.

How about y'all? 

Just now, Midwest LDS said:

For me I'm sick of yoyoing up and down in weight. I agree just saying "lose weight" is to vague which is why I am setting a specific goal. I want to be at 200 pounds by December 31 this year. It's time to get that part of my life under control.

If you need some mutual support networking let me know.  I have a similar goal though in my case it's not tied to New Year's.

Hey... maybe what we need is a ThirdHour Biggest Loser challenge...

3 minutes ago, unixknight said:

If you need some mutual support networking let me know.  I have a similar goal though in my case it's not tied to New Year's.

Hey... maybe what we need is a ThirdHour Biggest Loser challenge...

I'd be up for that. Accountability and competition always improve my success with a goal like this.

Edited by Midwest LDS

Just now, Midwest LDS said:

I'd be up for that. Accpuntability and competition alwaways improve my success with a goal like this.

Same here.  Back in 2014 I managed to lose something like 35 lbs. due in no small part to a Biggest Loser contest we had going at work.  My mom died later that year and dealing with all the red tape (I'm not her only child, but am the only one who actually took on the responsibility) and her loss was stressful enough that I basically undid all my progress.  Here I am 4 1/2 years later and haven't really resumed.

Just now, unixknight said:

Same here.  Back in 2014 I managed to lose something like 35 lbs. due in no small part to a Biggest Loser contest we had going at work.  My mom died later that year and dealing with all the red tape (I'm not her only child, but am the only one who actually took on the responsibility) and her loss was stressful enough that I basically undid all my progress.  Here I am 4 1/2 years later and haven't really resumed.

I completely get it and feel for you. I have always been a stress eater, so I do great for 2-6 months and then something stressful happens (because this is mortality😁) and I'm back off the wagon again. I'm trying to end that habit.

I don't have a New Year's resolution per se, but I have the ever so vague notion of improving my vocabulary this year. I have been playing a game at vocabulary.com to expand my lexicon and it has been fun. I've enjoyed telling my wife and daughters how pulchritudinous they are and look forward to greater mastery of words. I've been somewhat inspired by @Vort's impressive use of words that I have to look up such as the first time I saw him use ersatz. I'm not ashamed to admit I hadn't encountered that word before.

@unixknight, @NeuroTypical, @Midwest LDS and anyone else interested I would be happy to help out with weight loss strategies. I've been a personal trainer for over a decade and have some experience in weight loss, but in all honesty my focus has been corrective exercise and performance. Still I'd be happy to offer tips and try to facilitate a sense of accountability the best this format allows. Would it be thread jack to do so here? I can start a new thread in health and fitness if we prefer.

21 minutes ago, SpiritDragon said:

@unixknight, @NeuroTypical, @Midwest LDS and anyone else interested I would be happy to help out with weight loss strategies. I've been a personal trainer for over a decade and have some experience in weight loss, but in all honesty my focus has been corrective exercise and performance. Still I'd be happy to offer tips and try to facilitate a sense of accountability the best this format allows. Would it be thread jack to do so here? I can start a new thread in health and fitness if we prefer.

Heck yeah I'd love some advice.  And a thread dedicated to the discussion of weight loss sounds like a fantastic idea!

1 hour ago, Midwest LDS said:

For me I'm sick of yoyoing up and down in weight. I agree just saying "lose weight" is to vague which is why I am setting a specific goal. I want to be at 200 pounds by December 31 this year. It's time to get that part of my life under control.

That's awesome. In my experience, people do better setting goals that they have direct control over as opposed to goals which are dependent on factors outside of direct control. This often means setting behaviour goals instead of outcome goals in regard to weight-loss.

One of my favourite agreements to make with new weight loss clients is as follows, "I am going to put together a program that should help you reach your desired outcome. I need you to commit to follow the program at least 90% of the time. You are responsible to the daily behaviours, and I am responsible to make sure the program works to get you to your outcome. This is a team effort. Every two weeks we can check in to track progress and discuss strategies. If you are following the program but the outcome is not working out, then it informs us that although the plan is generally sound it isn't working for you and I will adapt it for you and we'll find what works for you. If, however, the reason your not progressing is because you aren't following the plan, then you need to do your part. Does that sound fair?"

This way my client can focus on doing the things that need to be done to get the desired result and leave the burden of what the weight is doing up to me. 

31 minutes ago, SpiritDragon said:

Sounds good to me, I could use all the suggestions I can get, especially from someone who knows what he/she is talking about.

Edited by Midwest LDS

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

Last year, I resolved to improve my Russian to the point where I could be conversant.  I can now say with confidence that if you dropped me off in Moscow with nothing but the clothes on my back, my Russian proficiency is sufficient to get me to the U.S. Embassy at least.

This year, it's the banjo.  I inherited a couple of them from my mom, and plan to become proficient enough to play a few tunes by the end of the year.

So by the end of this year you'll be able to busk in the streets on your way to the Embassy?