2019 Weight Loss Group

SpiritDragon

11 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

There is nothing wrong with doing those things that have worked in the past as long as you can also find ways not to rebound and find yourself back to square one every year or so.

Indeed.  My two challenges here - getting into my groove that works, and staying in it.  My issues with both are pretty much totally psychological, as opposed to biological or bad habits or ignorance.  Memes help.
image.png.4f827f754b762049f668e5e1f846014d.png

Anyway, day two worked fine.  I was worried because I had dinner with a buddy, and we usually do Taco Bell or some such.  But Buddy and his daughter just got on the diet wagon themselves, so I discovered a new wonderful thing at Jimmy Johns - you can make it a lettuce wrap for no extra charge, and it's still real good.  I finished day two 800 cal under my allotted plan.   Apple for breakfast, my emergency chicken and BAPOC for lunch, Jimmy Johns for dinner, and a single hershey's nugget/w toffee thing for late afternoon snack.  One did not turn into five, which did not turn into a Giant Jimmy Johns wrap followed by half the cookies when I got home!  Self control via supporting buddy did it for dinner, and thinking about this thread and keeping myself occupied did it for the rest of the night.

2 days of just eating frugally, and I'm down 6 lbs.  Here it is - day 3.  I'm fighting the lies of feeling entitled and deserving of a reward.  And I'm looking at that picture of the fat surprised Pikachu.  One more day, and the new groove should emerge through the bad habits.  I know my goal to earn a cheat day, and I may reach it tomorrow morning.

Today's challenge is lunch with another buddy.  Going to not do the fried okra this time, going to do beans instead.  Then, the Mt. Everest of having a light dinner.  If I can keep a big lunch from turning into a big lunch + snacking + big dinner + opportunity eating, then hooray for me.

[I find it mildly humiliating to talk about this weakness online.  I am hoping I can use the mild humiliation as a motivator.  Imagine how cool it will be tomorrow, when I show up here and say I hit my goal, as I eat my celebratory breakfast burrito.]

Edited by NeuroTypical

15 hours ago, beefche said:

Someone once described a cheat meal/day as "so, it's ok to be in a healthy marriage 6 days a week, but 1 day you can cheat on your spouse? does that make sense? why choose to do that with your health?" That really resonated with me. 

I totally get the notion of a cheat meal being poison to some folks, something to be avoided at all costs.  And yes, I've yo-yoed from a stable occasional cheat day situation lasting months, to abandoning all rationality and just making every day a cheat day, several times in the last 5 years.  But for me, the cheat day is a blessing and until X happens, I have a track record of maintaining.  My X is not cheat day related.   My X is more deep-seated psyche related stuff, losing motivation because I get despondent or stressed or something.

I've considered the analogy above, and while I can see it being quite valid for some folks, I'm not adopting it.   I think it's a matter of where the heart's compass is pointed.  Surely, our bodies are temples, and how we treat them reflects on our level of discipleship.  But for me, occasional self-care, is not sinful or an abuse of my temple.  The Sabbath comes once every 7 days, where we renew and gear up to face a new week.  I find a measured rewarding splurge motivating.  But for me to not be full of crap, I have to be able to say this, in this thread, 6 months from now, then a year from now, then 18 months from now.  Cross your fingers for me!

10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Indeed.  My two challenges here - getting into my groove that works, and staying in it.  My issues with both are pretty much totally psychological, as opposed to biological or bad habits or ignorance.  Memes help.
image.png.4f827f754b762049f668e5e1f846014d.png

Anyway, day two worked fine.  I was worried because I had dinner with a buddy, and we usually do Taco Bell or some such.  But Buddy and his daughter just got on the diet wagon themselves, so I discovered a new wonderful thing at Jimmy Johns - you can make it a lettuce wrap for no extra charge, and it's still real good.  I finished day two 800 cal under my allotted plan.   Apple for breakfast, my emergency chicken and BAPOC for lunch, Jimmy Johns for dinner, and a single hershey's nugget/w toffee thing for late afternoon snack.  One did not turn into five, which did not turn into a Giant Jimmy Johns wrap followed by half the cookies when I got home!  Self control via supporting buddy did it for dinner, and thinking about this thread and keeping myself occupied did it for the rest of the night.

2 days of just eating frugally, and I'm down 6 lbs.  Here it is - day 3.  I'm fighting the lies of feeling entitled and deserving of a reward.  And I'm looking at that picture of the fat surprised Pikachu.  One more day, and the new groove should emerge through the bad habits.  I know my goal to earn a cheat day, and I may reach it tomorrow morning.

Today's challenge is lunch with another buddy.  Going to not do the fried okra this time, going to do beans instead.  Then, the Mt. Everest of having a light dinner.  If I can keep a big lunch from turning into a big lunch + snacking + big dinner + opportunity eating, then hooray for me.

[I find it mildly humiliating to talk about this weakness online.  I am hoping I can use the mild humiliation as a motivator.  Imagine how cool it will be tomorrow, when I show up here and say I hit my goal, as I eat my celebratory breakfast burrito.]

I'm really glad to hear that you're finding this helpful. Great job with day two, if I had a a Jimmy Johns around that would be an excellent tip to share with others. Looking forward to your successful report.

Yesterday...

Breakfast: Lunchmeat turkey and cheese sammich with a cup of beef broth

Lunch: Leftover tacos.  Only used two of the shells and at the meat/cheese/lettuce with a fork with the remaining two shells crunched up in it instead

Dinner: Lasagna (1 cup) and green beans (1/4 cup)

Later: soup made from 2 packs of Ramen (I know) 

Normally I don't do the Ramen but I'm struggling to get over a nasty cold/sinus infection and I wanted the soup.  (I know.  Ramen is horrible crap food but the pho places were all closed.)  

Still no new sodas since that one over the weekend

Made the effort to drink the gallon.  Not sure if I made it or not, but I was trying.  Between the broth, lemon water and straight water I'm sure I at least got close. 

Haven't exercised much due to being sick... I'd do it anyway but I just feel so exhausted all the time over the last several days.  

3 hours ago, unixknight said:

Yesterday...

Lunch: Leftover tacos.  Only used two of the shells and at the meat/cheese/lettuce with a fork with the remaining two shells crunched up in it instead

Normally I don't do the Ramen but I'm struggling to get over a nasty cold/sinus infection and I wanted the soup.  (I know.  Ramen is horrible crap food but the pho places were all closed.)  

Made the effort to drink the gallon.  Not sure if I made it or not, but I was trying.  Between the broth, lemon water and straight water I'm sure I at least got close. 

Haven't exercised much due to being sick... I'd do it anyway but I just feel so exhausted all the time over the last several days.  

Rest up. No need to push yourself when you're sick and your body is telling you it needs down time to heal. Great work with the water and the soda abstinence.

5 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I totally get the notion of a cheat meal being poison to some folks, something to be avoided at all costs.  And yes, I've yo-yoed from a stable occasional cheat day situation lasting months, to abandoning all rationality and just making every day a cheat day, several times in the last 5 years.  But for me, the cheat day is a blessing and until X happens, I have a track record of maintaining.  My X is not cheat day related.   My X is more deep-seated psyche related stuff, losing motivation because I get despondent or stressed or something.

I've considered the analogy above, and while I can see it being quite valid for some folks, I'm not adopting it.   I think it's a matter of where the heart's compass is pointed.  Surely, our bodies are temples, and how we treat them reflects on our level of discipleship.  But for me, occasional self-care, is not sinful or an abuse of my temple.  The Sabbath comes once every 7 days, where we renew and gear up to face a new week.  I find a measured rewarding splurge motivating.  But for me to not be full of crap, I have to be able to say this, in this thread, 6 months from now, then a year from now, then 18 months from now.  Cross your fingers for me!

Oh, yeah, I get that doesn't work for everyone. My husband gave me the stink eye when I told him this. He thoroughly disagrees with it. And, hey! It works for him to have his cheat days. He's lost a lot of weight doing so.

I just have to change my way of thinking of food. I certainly don't ban unhealthy foods, I just have to limit them or try to make them healthier (I still have a brownie or cookie, but the ones I choose are so much healthier than Betty makes or that Mrs. Fields chick). I have a tradition on Superbowl Sunday to eat snack foods or make a decent meal with dessert--I'll probably do the same just make it a healthy meal with a small splurge rather than the day long splurge fest I normally would do.

3 hours ago, unixknight said:

Yesterday...

I am a ramen lover! I wish, wish, WISH there was some way to make it healthy. I've wanted to try a restaurant that makes fresh ramen because if I love the crud that comes from the local 7/11, I can only imagine how much better fresh would be!

Hope you feel better. Drink those fluids and rest. Don't stress about exercise until you are better.

Yesterday worked.  Breakfast: Yogurt.  Lunch: loaded brisket potato, hold the butter & sour cream, had coleslaw instead of my usual fried okra.  Family had chicken parmesan burgers for dinner, I had mine.  And didn't snack or graze or stuff on what was available.  

Hit my goal on the scale this morning.  3 days of being good, and I'm down 7 lbs.  Time for cheat day!  Then, back to my newfound strength and habit tomorrow.

I totally forgot to weigh myself this morning.  My goal has been to weigh myself every third Thursday, since that's a scheduled day off from work where I can wake naturally.  It also allows me to track progress without obsessing over the exact number or being overly concerned with a weight that naturally fluctuates.  While in the throes of my seasonal depression, my reward for getting out of bed before 9 is McDonald's breakfast.  I'm sure it sounds counterproductive, but I loooove McD's breakfast and there is legitimate concern that if I don't have a reason to physically get out of bed/the house, I don't.  Which is worse for my physical and mental health in the long run.

I kept the food journal for three days, and on the eve of the second day, I found myself making a choice that intentionally defied it.  Namely, getting a burger instead of a salad for dinner.  I'm the kind of person who goes in to the first weigh in of a weight loss challenge wearing heavy boots and carrying all my keys and three days worth of loose change.  I can be a bit of a stubborn lass and have to outsmart myself sometimes when it comes to which battles I fight.  The more aggressive a change is pushed at me, the harder I push back, even if it's me doing it for my own good.

Didn't go to volleyball last week, but loved curling and was super excited to play an extra end!  My make-shift team (they still don't three teammates for me) made me third, which I appreciated as I was still getting my ice legs back and would have felt much worse Saturday morning if I had swept six rocks per end instead of four.  Side note: definitely stretching this week!

The yoga has been going pretty well.  I've done it three times this week already, and hope to be able to bring myself to get out of bed earlier in the day.  All of my roommates are night owls, and I like being a comparative morning person.  (They get up at noon; I like to be up by 9; 6 is for the birds.)  Again, depression and dark mornings make it difficult right now.  The only place there is enough space for it is in the living room, and that is almost always occupied in the evenings.  Once our basement gets a little more finished, I'll be able to use that.  This is the program/YouTube channel I've found I like best.  I may end up doing this particular video for more than two weeks, but I've found I prefer male yogi's and 10-15 minute videos work best for my current circumstances.  Maybe once I become more flexible/comfortable in my own body, I can move up to 20-30 minute videos.

Edited by seashmore

7 hours ago, seashmore said:

I totally forgot to weigh myself this morning.  My goal has been to weigh myself every third Thursday, since that's a scheduled day off from work where I can wake naturally.  It also allows me to track progress without obsessing over the exact number or being overly concerned with a weight that naturally fluctuates.  While in the throes of my seasonal depression, my reward for getting out of bed before 9 is McDonald's breakfast.  I'm sure it sounds counterproductive, but I loooove McD's breakfast and there is legitimate concern that if I don't have a reason to physically get out of bed/the house, I don't.  Which is worse for my physical and mental health in the long run.

You'll get nothing but support from me on dangling a carrot to get out of bed and into the world. I think you are bang on that getting up and going with McD's outweighs hibernating at home in pj's all day.

I kept the food journal for three days, and on the eve of the second day, I found myself making a choice that intentionally defied it.  Namely, getting a burger instead of a salad for dinner.  I'm the kind of person who goes in to the first weigh in of a weight loss challenge wearing heavy boots and carrying all my keys and three days worth of loose change.  I can be a bit of a stubborn lass and have to outsmart myself sometimes when it comes to which battles I fight.  The more aggressive a change is pushed at me, the harder I push back, even if it's me doing it for my own good.

If you want to share it I'd love to help you set some prioritized strategies. If you don't want everyone to see, I'm happy with a PM.

Didn't go to volleyball last week, but loved curling and was super excited to play an extra end!  My make-shift team (they still don't three teammates for me) made me third, which I appreciated as I was still getting my ice legs back and would have felt much worse Saturday morning if I had swept six rocks per end instead of four.  Side note: definitely stretching this week!

Sounds like you had a good time. That can really help your efforts to feel more like fun than work which is very beneficial.

The yoga has been going pretty well.  I've done it three times this week already, and hope to be able to bring myself to get out of bed earlier in the day.  All of my roommates are night owls, and I like being a comparative morning person.  (They get up at noon; I like to be up by 9; 6 is for the birds.)  Again, depression and dark mornings make it difficult right now.  The only place there is enough space for it is in the living room, and that is almost always occupied in the evenings.  Once our basement gets a little more finished, I'll be able to use that.  This is the program/YouTube channel I've found I like best.  I may end up doing this particular video for more than two weeks, but I've found I prefer male yogi's and 10-15 minute videos work best for my current circumstances.  Maybe once I become more flexible/comfortable in my own body, I can move up to 20-30 minute videos.

Keep up the good work. There is no rush to increase your time, be sure to get comfortable with your new routine of doing it all before stressing over doing even more - of course if you just feel like doing more go for it.

This week has been rough, both my wife and I were feeling pretty miserable.  Some comfort items in there.

Wednesday:

Breakfast: Beef broth and a roast beef lunchmeat sammich

Lunch: leftover roast chicken, pashed potatoes and broccoli (total quantity 1.5 cups)

Dinner: Pho and a 17 oz Pepsi.

Yesterday:

Breakfast: A lean porkchop and 2 eggs over easy

Lunch: A salad with about a cup of roast chicken white meat in it

Evening Snack: 2 small chicken/cheese taquitos

Late Dinner: 3 slices of pizza, 3 small wings, 3 small cheese bread strips and a 20 oz. Pepsi.

Yeah... yesterday was cheat day.

So that's 2 days in a row I had a Pepsi, but what I  noticed was that the craving wasn't there.  It was more of a comfort thing but even at that it wasn't very satisfying.  Maybe I've gotten over the hump. The trick now is to not have any more anytime soon so that the cravings don't come back.

Ok - recap.  I started at XX7 lbs, three days later was at XX0 lbs, which earned me a cheat day.  I enjoyed the crap out of my 4000+ calorie cheat day, with each indulgence better than the last.  That added 3 lbs, putting me at XX3 this morning.

Now I'm back on my normal routine - yogurt, bowl of chili, carrots/apples for snack, normal dinner, and NOTHING ELSE.  I'm feeling positive.  Motivation!  Stick-to-it-iveness!  Peer Pressure!  I have zero guilt over my cheat day, because it was earned, and is a healthy part of a successful plan.

So, I had a day of backsliding with the "belated Christmas feast."  And I also ended up going out to lunch the other day.  In spite of those two setbacks, I have lost another two pounds.  And I don't believe it is water weight.

I just need another 10 to 15 lbs and I will be happy.

But the main thing is that I've got to start doing situps.  For the most part, I don't appear overweight.  But I have a pot belly that I find embarrassing (hello Buddha).  Apparently, it does not actually mean I have extra weight.  It's just that this part of my body has stretched out from many years of improper eating.

As I continue my egg diet, I'm finding myself in much better focus and not so drowsy in the afternoon.  I'm sleeping better.  And I don't seem so prone to ADD.

Ok, time for me to open up about something I am humiliated to talk about, but I feel very supported in this thread and so I'm gonna spill my guts.

This is why my Halloween costume is so perfect for me.  It's so bulky it hides my unattractive proportions:

934ea58d-b5c6-d1b9-7cd3-14b08fc2f9c2?t=1

That's my oldest son next to me, and he's about 5'10".  This photo was taken at the Church (totally not Halloween) Autumn festival party in 2016.  At that point I was up to 350 lbs.  Mind you, I'm on 14" stilts here.  (I'm 6' tall in bare feet normally.)  

d4b55d6d-536f-732a-7092-af108eabe848?t=1

This one's from BFGCon in March, 2018.  By that time I was up to 360.  In the suit that doesn't look so bad because I'm something like 7'2"  In it. I'm wearing stilts, and the bottom of my feet are actually just a couple of inches below the armor's kneecaps.

eb243e2f-a265-d078-d134-3d44aa71604b?t=1

This photo was taken at the Church (totally not Halloween) Autumn festival party in 2018.  The little boy in front of me dressed as Thor is my youngest son.  By that point I was 370.  The waist piece of the armor fits snugly around my belly.  Not tight, but snug.  And that's with me modifying the original "blueprints" to give myself an extra 3" of waist.  A friend of mine has a suit built from the same blueprints as mine and she could fit in hers twice.  Her husband, the guy who got me into this cosplay, could probably fit into my suit twice with my  modifications.  I also reworked the internal structure of the stilts from a PVC pipe structure into a solid wooden structure built from 2x4s.  They're heavier now, but I feel much, MUCH safer.  So yeah, the suit hides my actual girth, but in order to wear it safely I had to modify it.

So if anybody says to me "Hey unixknight!  How come you  keep wearing the same space marine getup every year?"  My answer is "Because I spent a LOT of time, effort and money into this thing and you'd best believe I'm gonna get all the mileage I can out of it!"  And that answer is true, but incomplete.  It's also because I just wouldn't look good in a Superman suit.

(Note:  Yes, the suit is slightly more detailed in each picture.  That's because it's a continuing work in progress.)  

Unixknight, you've shared some of those pix before, and I continue to think that you totally rock that amazing getup.  There are ways to make your body type work for you, and you've absolutely got it in these pix.

I have a set of carpenter's stilts, and did a quadsuit one year.  So much foam and duct tape!

@unixknight, showing us those amazing pics is making me waffle between cheering your weight loss goals on and wanting you not to lose any weight because it would change your face and it would not look good anymore with that amazing get-up!  I so wanna be you when I grow up.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Unixknight, you've shared some of those pix before, and I continue to think that you totally rock that amazing getup.  There are ways to make your body type work for you, and you've absolutely got it in these pix.

I have a set of carpenter's stilts, and did a quadsuit one year.  So much foam and duct tape!

Thanks man!  Would that quadsuit, by chance, be a pony?  ;)

41 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

@unixknight, showing us those amazing pics is making me waffle between cheering your weight loss goals on and wanting you not to lose any weight because it would change your face and it would not look good anymore with that amazing get-up!  I so wanna be you when I grow up.

Awwww shucks... Thanks!  And as for the head size... Heck, I'd LOVE to have that problem!  Then maybe I can retire the suit.  

I've been thinking about doing a suit of power armor from the Fallout series of video games...

Fallout-4-Power-Armors.jpg

Other than the suit I was never big into cosplay, and my body type was the main reason.  I know I'll never pull off a Superman suit, but having more options would definitely be nice!

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

Thanks man!  Would that quadsuit, by chance, be a pony?  ;)

Nope - I may be a vaguely problematic adult fan of the show, but I'm not THAT kind of fan.  I've met a few, talked with a few, but this is not, and has never been me:
Image result for neckbeard brony

No good pictures of my quadsuit, here's a poor picture of it:

2013HalloweenTheBeast.thumb.jpg.71c97f6f3589d31c899b5376089f9b23.jpg

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

I've been thinking about doing a suit of power armor from the Fallout series of video games...

This could be your reward(s) for sticking to your weight-loss / exercise / nutrition plan(s).  Maybe at a certain pre-set point you get to buy (some) of the materials, at another preset point you start construction, etc.  Maybe you get to do a couple different ones if you meet certain goals?  Just a thought.  Nothing but support and good will from me (regardless of how long success takes). :)