2019 Weight Loss Group

SpiritDragon

On 1/9/2019 at 11:08 AM, unixknight said:

Yesterday...

Breakfast: Lunchmeat turkey and cheese sammich with a cup of beef broth

Lunch: Leftover tacos.  Only used two of the shells and at the meat/cheese/lettuce with a fork with the remaining two shells crunched up in it instead

Dinner: Lasagna (1 cup) and green beans (1/4 cup)

Later: soup made from 2 packs of Ramen (I know) 

Normally I don't do the Ramen but I'm struggling to get over a nasty cold/sinus infection and I wanted the soup.  (I know.  Ramen is horrible crap food but the pho places were all closed.)  

Still no new sodas since that one over the weekend

Made the effort to drink the gallon.  Not sure if I made it or not, but I was trying.  Between the broth, lemon water and straight water I'm sure I at least got close. 

Haven't exercised much due to being sick... I'd do it anyway but I just feel so exhausted all the time over the last several days.  

What I find helpful for colds and flus is if I add spices to the soup.  I had kimchi flavored ramen the other day.  It really helped me feel a LOT better.

Wow, You guys have been busy today. @unixknight thank you for your trust in the group and courage in getting personal. I think the better we all know each other the stronger our bond and the more effective we can be keeping each other accountable as well as an increased sense of responsibility to help each other.

@Carborendum @NeuroTypical @zil @anatess2 @seashmore @beefche @person0 and everyone else who is commenting in this thread, thank you for being supportive and providing an environment that feels safe enough that people feel comfortable enough to share things that might otherwise remain furtive.

Keep up the great work everyone. If I have missed responding to any questions or concerns please tag me in a comment and let me know where I have fallen down on the job. I can assure you that I'm not intentionally giving more attention to anyone or trying to slight anyone. If I have missed anything it's as simple as that. I almost need to make a spreadsheet to start keeping track of goals and commitments.

@unixknight amazing suit! Seriously, that is so dang cool! But, I want you to lose weight to not only be healthier but to see what other suits you'd come up with!

Random thought: there was a Time Out for Women (run by Deseret Book and with lots of LDS speakers) at the convention center at the same time ComiCon was going on. So many people in costume. I was taking pics surreptitiously. Now I think I should have just asked them--I'm sure they would have said yes and have been proud to show off their talents! I was kinda funny to see some women walk by dressed in....um....not so virtuous looking outfits next to a bunch of church ladies dressed for church. LOL!

My husband found this and I thought I would share. This is so yummy! Full of flavor but very healthy. I used 2 tablespoons with 2 cups cooked spaghetti squash and shrimp (just warmed everything in the microwave). My husband mixed some with brown rice. This one is spicy. There is also an Italian one and Mexican one that we are going to try to find. 

IMG_20190111_175430124.jpg

IMG_20190111_193332986.jpg

19 minutes ago, beefche said:

@unixknight amazing suit! Seriously, that is so dang cool! But, I want you to lose weight to not only be healthier but to see what other suits you'd come up with!

Random thought: there was a Time Out for Women (run by Deseret Book and with lots of LDS speakers) at the convention center at the same time ComiCon was going on. So many people in costume. I was taking pics surreptitiously. Now I think I should have just asked them--I'm sure they would have said yes and have been proud to show off their talents! I was kinda funny to see some women walk by dressed in....um....not so virtuous looking outfits next to a bunch of church ladies dressed for church. LOL!

I gotta tell ya, I can't help sometimes wishing I'd been doing this when I was single :cool:

1 hour ago, beefche said:

My husband found this and I thought I would share. This is so yummy! Full of flavor but very healthy. I used 2 tablespoons with 2 cups cooked spaghetti squash and shrimp (just warmed everything in the microwave). My husband mixed some with brown rice. This one is spicy. There is also an Italian one and Mexican one that we are going to try to find. 

IMG_20190111_175430124.jpg

IMG_20190111_193332986.jpg

Is it sort of like relish?

It's not loose like a relish. I'm sure one could eat it room temperature or cold, but warming it up loosens it and allows it to coat the rice or noodles (in my case, spaghetti squash). I think it loosens due to the coconut milk (almost like it's got an oil in it). I think it's closer in texture with a pesto.

46 minutes ago, beefche said:

It's not loose like a relish. I'm sure one could eat it room temperature or cold, but warming it up loosens it and allows it to coat the rice or noodles (in my case, spaghetti squash). I think it loosens due to the coconut milk (almost like it's got an oil in it). I think it's closer in texture with a pesto.

I'm interested in trying it, do you get it at the grocery store? I wonder if it's available in my area without ordering it online - not that that's a problem either necessarily, I just sometimes like to pick things up in a store, maybe that makes me old-fashioned.

Yes, my husband got it at our local grocery store, Meijer. I don't know where in the store it was. I'll have to ask him (he's out with the guys tonight).

I was very impressed by the low sodium. Most can/bottles contain a truckload of sodium, but this is just 125 mg per serving. 

Edited by beefche

On 1/6/2019 at 12:22 PM, zil said:

I'll start experimenting tomorrow to find a combination that works - sequence of those exercises, number of reps I can do, etc.  Once I have a routine that seems like it will work, I'll post back. :)

Thank you!  Not knowing where to start / what to do / how much to do has been one of the big things keeping me overly casual about all this, so having someone to give me a starting point is fabulous!

On 1/6/2019 at 5:16 PM, SpiritDragon said:

I'll look forward to hearing back. I'm excited for you... 

Any news? No pressure, just curious - okay maybe a gently nudge, but I'm really looking forward to your update.

Just now, SpiritDragon said:

Any news? No pressure, just curious - okay maybe a gently nudge, but I'm really looking forward to your update.

The bad news is that despite trying really, really hard to push the kitchen (dining and mudroom) floor into the basement, it wouldn't budge.  The good news is that now I have no more physically demanding cleaning to do (hooray) (at least until spring), so I won't be too sore and exhausted to figure out this routine. :)  Tomorrow is my day off from cleaning, so I'll see if I can't force myself to try out a few things and make a plan.

I appreciate the nudge.  My life is kinda weird right now - every day except Sunday feels like Saturday, and while I have a morning and evening routine that's working, it's difficult to motivate myself to do useful stuff (other than clean) in between.  (Which is partly why I decided to start with cleaning - I'm happier in a clean, empty house - the cleaning has already improved my mood, but the emptying will have to wait until spring when I can have a yard sale or something.)

31 minutes ago, zil said:

The bad news is that despite trying really, really hard to push the kitchen (dining and mudroom) floor into the basement, it wouldn't budge.  The good news is that now I have no more physically demanding cleaning to do (hooray) (at least until spring), so I won't be too sore and exhausted to figure out this routine. :)  Tomorrow is my day off from cleaning, so I'll see if I can't force myself to try out a few things and make a plan.

I appreciate the nudge.  My life is kinda weird right now - every day except Sunday feels like Saturday, and while I have a morning and evening routine that's working, it's difficult to motivate myself to do useful stuff (other than clean) in between.  (Which is partly why I decided to start with cleaning - I'm happier in a clean, empty house - the cleaning has already improved my mood, but the emptying will have to wait until spring when I can have a yard sale or something.)

I totally understand the clean house - better mood, higher motivation connection. Let me know if you want any help or have any questions or concerns as you're building your routine.

12 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

So, this morning, I did some rearranging and testing and here are the results:

1) Found the angle on the Total Gym at which I can just barely do 12-15 overhanded pullups (tried underhanded after that and managed the same number - I'm assuming I'm supposed to do the overhanded kind - where my knuckles are pointed up?).  I expect in a month or two I'll be able to adjust the angle up a notch.

2) Determined that I can't leave that attachment on and use the Total Gym to do chest presses, and since I know I'll get sick of putting that thing on and taking it off, tried instead using the desk that's in there to do push ups.  The desk is lower than the kitchen counter and just right for my 12-15 reps.  I plan to get rid of the desk in the spring when I do my yard sale, but hopefully by then, I'll be ready for something lower.

3) For the reverse lunges, I'm nowhere near as stable as the girl in the video, and I think for now, I'll have to do them without getting my back knee all the way to the floor, but I expect that and stability will come eventually.  Still, I think what I can do will work.  I'll start out working on form - getting as close as I can to the girl in the video, then increase speed and how close my knee is to the floor.

4) Similar with the squats - not as stable, don't think my thighs are parallel to the floor, but I'll get there.  Similar to above, will work on form, so I'm not making a bad habit / risking injury, then on increasing depth.

I'll do these on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (because Saturday is my day off from cleaning).  I need to move my bike back down to the basement, so I can do all this in the room where the Total Gym lives - walk down the hall after my trudging and stretching, then do arms, legs, arms, legs.

I'm going to have breakfast first, and then (an hour or so later) try a few rounds of above routine.

26 minutes ago, zil said:

So, this morning, I did some rearranging and testing and here are the results:

1) Found the angle on the Total Gym at which I can just barely do 12-15 overhanded pullups (tried underhanded after that and managed the same number - I'm assuming I'm supposed to do the overhanded kind - where my knuckles are pointed up?).  I expect in a month or two I'll be able to adjust the angle up a notch.

2) Determined that I can't leave that attachment on and use the Total Gym to do chest presses, and since I know I'll get sick of putting that thing on and taking it off, tried instead using the desk that's in there to do push ups.  The desk is lower than the kitchen counter and just right for my 12-15 reps.  I plan to get rid of the desk in the spring when I do my yard sale, but hopefully by then, I'll be ready for something lower.

3) For the reverse lunges, I'm nowhere near as stable as the girl in the video, and I think for now, I'll have to do them without getting my back knee all the way to the floor, but I expect that and stability will come eventually.  Still, I think what I can do will work.  I'll start out working on form - getting as close as I can to the girl in the video, then increase speed and how close my knee is to the floor.

4) Similar with the squats - not as stable, don't think my thighs are parallel to the floor, but I'll get there.  Similar to above, will work on form, so I'm not making a bad habit / risking injury, then on increasing depth.

I'll do these on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (because Saturday is my day off from cleaning).  I need to move my bike back down to the basement, so I can do all this in the room where the Total Gym lives - walk down the hall after my trudging and stretching, then do arms, legs, arms, legs.

I'm going to have breakfast first, and then (an hour or so later) try a few rounds of above routine.

This all sounds great. I'm glad the desk is just right, because I can appreciate the desire not to switch parts on and off your equipment.

Another option to work the same muscles in a very similar manner to the modified pull-up is the total gym pull down. This will avoid the need to change equipment much, but you may still need to change the incline of your total gym between exercises to get the right resistance. I like your push-up solution a lot though, and would suggest you start with exactly what you're doing and then transition to these if you want to incorporate the presses because you don't have furniture the right dimensions :)

You've got the right idea with your lunges and squats too.

I'll be out most of the day, but look forward to reading about how it goes.

Dreaded weekend is here.  Here are the lies spawned from lucifer's bloated belly:
"I'm all driving around after helping someone move, and might as well do taco bell because it'll be too late for lunch when I get back, and the good people say it's important to not skip meals."
"I only lost one lb yesterday, it's not worth it, I've spent my whole life around this weight and it ain't like I'm having health problems or anything."

So I had lunch early, and I'll bring carrots to the move with me.  And checking in here to get dat good ol' peer pressure motivation going.  I am not gonna blow my diet today when I'm driving around, nor when I get home.

11 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Dreaded weekend is here.  Here are the lies spawned from lucifer's bloated belly:
"I'm all driving around after helping someone move, and might as well do taco bell because it'll be too late for lunch when I get back, and the good people say it's important to not skip meals."
"I only lost one lb yesterday, it's not worth it, I've spent my whole life around this weight and it ain't like I'm having health problems or anything."

So I had lunch early, and I'll bring carrots to the move with me.  And checking in here to get dat good ol' peer pressure motivation going.  I am not gonna blow my diet today when I'm driving around, nor when I get home.

Good job on being prepared, NT! Weekends are always the most difficult. Stay focused on WHY you want to be healthy. 

I'm fighting my snacking monster today. I want a big ol' bucket of buttered popcorn, but I'm kinda stuck inside (we got a bunch of snow dumped on us and staying off the roads is a good idea). But being stuck is good as we don't have popcorn in the house. I will splurge a bit and have a diet soda (in addition to my water intake). 

Stay strong!

4 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I couldn't help but think of the following old joke that made its rounds a couple decades back.

In the beginning, God created the heaven and the Earth. And the Earth was without form, and void and darkness was upon the face of the deep.

And the devil said, "It doesn't get any better than this."

God said, "Let there be light" and there was light.

And God said, "Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit," and God saw that it was good.

And the devil said, "There goes the neighborhood."

And God said, "Let us make Man in our image, after our likeness, and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air and over the cattle, and over all the Earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the Earth."

And so God created Man in his own image; male and female created He them.

And God looked upon Man and Woman and saw that they were lean and fit.

And the devil said, "I know how I can get back in this game."

And God populated the earth with broccoli and cauliflower and spinach and green and yellow vegetables of all kinds, so Man and Woman would live long and healthy lives.

And the devil created McDonald's. And McDonald's brought forth the 79-cent double cheeseburger.

And the devil said to Man: "You want fries with that?" And Man said: "Supersize them." And Man gained five pounds.

And God created the healthful yogurt, that woman might keep her figure that man found so fair.

And the devil brought forth chocolate.

And Woman gained five pounds.

And God said, "Try my crispy fresh salad."

And the devil brought forth Ben and Jerry's. And Woman gained 10 pounds.

And God said, "I have sent thee heart-healthy vegetables and olive oil with which to cook them."

And the devil brought forth chicken-fried steak so big it needed its own platter. And Man gained 10 pounds and his bad cholesterol went through the roof.

And God brought forth running shoes and Man resolved to lose those extra pounds.

And the devil brought forth cable TV with remote control so Man would not have to toil to change channels between ESPN and ESPN2. And Man gained another 20 pounds.

And God said, "You're running up the score, devil."

And God brought forth the potato, a vegetable naturally low in fat and brimming with nutrition.

And the devil peeled off the healthful skin and sliced the starchy center into chips and deep-fat fried them. And the Devil created sour cream dip.

And Man clutched his remote control and ate the potato chips swaddled in cholesterol.

And the devil saw and said, "It is good."

And Man went into cardiac arrest.

And God sighed and created quadruple bypass surgery.

And the Devil created HMO's.

Then God showed Woman how to peel the skin off chicken and cook the nourishing whole grain brown rice.

And the devil created lite beer so Man could poison his body with alcohol while feeling righteous because he had to drink twice as much of the now-insipid brew to get the same buzz. And Man gained another 10 pounds.

And God created the life-giving tofu.

And Woman ventured forth into the land of Godiva Chocolate and upon returning asked Man: "Do I look fat?"

And the devil said, "Always tell the truth." And Man did.

And Woman went out from the presence of man and dwelt in the land of the divorce lawyer, east of the marriage counselor. And Woman put aside the seeds of the earth and took unto herself comfort food.

And God brought forth Weight-Watchers. It didn't help.

And God created exercise machines with easy payments. And Man brought forth his Visa at 21 percent. And the exercise machine went to dwell in the closet of Nod, east of the polyester leisure suit.

And in the fullness of time, Woman received the exercise machine from Man in the property settlement. It didn't help her, either.