2019 Weight Loss Group

SpiritDragon

15 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I've given back 2 of my 3 cheat day gain.  2 more to go, to continue towards my goal.

I'm eating well and exercising.  This is not a "starve myself thin" diet.  Today: Breakfast-yogurt.  Lunch-chili. Snack-apple.  Got 1400 cals for the day left on my plan, I'll shoot for 1000.
Exercise: 30 morning pushups.  Wellness center before lunch, 3 sets of different weight exercises.  Focused on upper body today because I have a sore calf for some reason.  

Keep it up!  :)

One thing I've been wanting to note and I think this has been mentioned before...  The number of calories is less important than the type of calories.  Here's what I mean.  When we consume carbohydrates, especially simple sugars, it contributes to insulin resistance.  I was doing some research in the last few years and the cliffs' notes version is that whenever we consume carbs, our body produces insulin.  Insulin's job is to make our body tissues burn the energy from those sugars.  Over time, our tissues start to resist the insulin's effect, with muscle tissue more impacted by it than fat tissue.  As a result, the higher our insulin resistance, the more our fat cells will store the energy, rather than it being burned by the muscle.  This is what Diabetes is.  

The good news is that insulin resistance is reversible, but it takes time.  A recent study on an aboriginal tribe in Australia actually was cured outright of Type II Diabetes after switching to an all protein/fat diet.  In my own experience, I was pre-diabetic for years but I had backed off soda for a while and eventually my blood sugar returned to normal.  

So when we talk about calories, a 200 cal can of Pepsi is actually worse for many of us than a 500 cal hunk of steak.  

Later, (and someone may have to remind me) I'll post a great Ted Talk by a medical professional (I think she was a Nurse Practitioner) who worked at a clinic that specialized in helping morbidly obese cases.  She spoke of a woman who had Type II Diabetes so bad that she not only needed a full course of insulin and other meds, she still needed to come in periodically to get her kidneys flushed.  She was also really heavy (I don't remember how much she weighed.)  So this person went on a zero carb diet and after a few months she was able to completely get off the meds and had lost a LOT of weight.  Noteworthy:  They replaced the carbs in this woman's diet with fats.  (We've been utterly misled about the health issues related to eating fats, but I'll save that for another post.)

That's why, for me, my focus is on minimizing the carbs, especially sugar.  Cutting out the soda was huge, but I also avoid candy and other sweets.  

Ok - today is "fighting despondence and cravings Tuesday".  Yesterday I was 2 lbs away.  I ate 400 calories less than allowed, and today I'm still 2 lbs away.  This geared me up for a pity-party-poor-me-I'm-a-woeful-victim fast food binge fest.  Not going to happen.  If I end up having to splurge, I have a fridge full of chicken chunks, apples, and carrots.  I walked past the free bag of seasoned peanuts in the break room.  Won't be going by the donut pile today.

Head down, don't give in to temptation.  Stop by here to summon the motivation of peer pressure.  Do my work, healthy lunch, then to my evening activites, drive past the drive-throughs.  Home after dinner tonight - gotta go geared to not eat at home.  

Ugh.  I know it gets easier than this.  This will just be a hard day.

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

Ok - today is "fighting despondence and cravings Tuesday".  Yesterday I was 2 lbs away.  I ate 400 calories less than allowed, and today I'm still 2 lbs away.  This geared me up for a pity-party-poor-me-I'm-a-woeful-victim fast food binge fest.  Not going to happen.  If I end up having to splurge, I have a fridge full of chicken chunks, apples, and carrots.  I walked past the free bag of seasoned peanuts in the break room.  Won't be going by the donut pile today.

Head down, don't give in to temptation.  Stop by here to summon the motivation of peer pressure.  Do my work, healthy lunch, then to my evening activites, drive past the drive-throughs.  Home after dinner tonight - gotta go geared to not eat at home.  

Good job, man.  

My weapon of choice when trying to avoid the snacking urge is to get lost in an activity that I tend to lose track of time with, like a video game or painting minis.  Whatever y our hobby is, if it's the kind of thing that gets you "in the zone" where you don't think about the rest of the world, it can be a huge help.

44 minutes ago, unixknight said:

Good job, man.  

My weapon of choice when trying to avoid the snacking urge is to get lost in an activity that I tend to lose track of time with, like a video game or painting minis.  Whatever y our hobby is, if it's the kind of thing that gets you "in the zone" where you don't think about the rest of the world, it can be a huge help.

My hobby is eating.  I'm in big trouble.  ;)

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

Keep it up!  :)

One thing I've been wanting to note and I think this has been mentioned before...  The number of calories is less important than the type of calories.  Here's what I mean.  When we consume carbohydrates, especially simple sugars, it contributes to insulin resistance.  I was doing some research in the last few years and the cliffs' notes version is that whenever we consume carbs, our body produces insulin.  Insulin's job is to make our body tissues burn the energy from those sugars.  Over time, our tissues start to resist the insulin's effect, with muscle tissue more impacted by it than fat tissue.  As a result, the higher our insulin resistance, the more our fat cells will store the energy, rather than it being burned by the muscle.  This is what Diabetes is.  

The good news is that insulin resistance is reversible, but it takes time.  A recent study on an aboriginal tribe in Australia actually was cured outright of Type II Diabetes after switching to an all protein/fat diet.  In my own experience, I was pre-diabetic for years but I had backed off soda for a while and eventually my blood sugar returned to normal.  

So when we talk about calories, a 200 cal can of Pepsi is actually worse for many of us than a 500 cal hunk of steak.  

Later, (and someone may have to remind me) I'll post a great Ted Talk by a medical professional (I think she was a Nurse Practitioner) who worked at a clinic that specialized in helping morbidly obese cases.  She spoke of a woman who had Type II Diabetes so bad that she not only needed a full course of insulin and other meds, she still needed to come in periodically to get her kidneys flushed.  She was also really heavy (I don't remember how much she weighed.)  So this person went on a zero carb diet and after a few months she was able to completely get off the meds and had lost a LOT of weight.  Noteworthy:  They replaced the carbs in this woman's diet with fats.  (We've been utterly misled about the health issues related to eating fats, but I'll save that for another post.)

That's why, for me, my focus is on minimizing the carbs, especially sugar.  Cutting out the soda was huge, but I also avoid candy and other sweets.  

Thanks for sharing this @unixknight. You're absolutely right that the quality of the foods our calories come from makes an impact on weight loss and health. However, this post also seems to fall into the trap of wrongfully demonizing carbohydrates and glorifying fats and proteins. Insulin is a very important hormone to our health, energy, and weight control. What many don't realize is that insulin is also released from the pancreas in response to protein from foods sometimes rivaling the release caused by carbohydrates, especially from concentrated forms like whey protein. There are differing schools of thought in what the cause of insulin resistance is where on the one hand it could simply be that the cells are already too full of sugar to take any more on. On the other hand the insulin receptor is thought to be gummed up with fat stopping it from responding properly - an interesting study in 1927 showed medical students causing insulin resistance by eating high fat oily diets while those who ate pure sugar for the two days still had normal glycemic control - neither is a good idea though. 

I could go into a long drawn out explanation of all kinds of things going on, but I'll try to keep it more brief (unless the group wants a big write up at some point on this topic). Just keep in mind that while all calories aren't created equal, calories are still the key determining factor in weigh management and diabetes progression/reversal.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)33102-1/fulltext

This is one of many studies coming out starting to really show how reversible diabetes is. You can see that in the study group the more weight that was lost the more diabetes reversed. The same effect has been observed with low fat high carb diets and high fat low carb diets as well as Mediterranean style diets with caloric deficits.

In simplified terms the biggest determinant of health and weight management from eating is the nutrient density of the foods chosen rather than the macronutrient (fat, carb, protein) profile. If we compare 20 calories of table sugar to 20 calories of olive oil we'll find that both provide almost nothing of real nutritional value, if we traded out 20 calories of table sugar for 20 calories of an apple we'd see that the sugars in the apple come with a much greater variety and quantity of nutrients that will have a satiating effect. The same can be said by comparing olive oil to an avocado or nuts, the whole foods will come with a package of nutrients that haven't been stripped away leaving nearly pure calories but nothing terribly nourishing. When the body doesn't get the nutrients it needs it continues to send hunger signals making weight loss extremely difficult eating nutrient poor foods which will leave one feeling hungry all the time.

So absolutely - refined sugary foods aren't good for health or weight loss, but neither are refined fatty, or even refined proteins for that matter. We need the nutrients and bulk that come along from real foods to control hunger.

7 minutes ago, SpiritDragon said:

So absolutely - refined sugary foods aren't good for health or weight loss, but neither are refined fatty, or even refined proteins for that matter. We need the nutrients and bulk that come along from real foods to control hunger.

lead_720_405.png?mod=1533691703

I didn't know that.  Thanks!

To go along with that last post I thought it might be helpful give a little primer on macronutrients - protein, carbohydrate, and fat.

Protein - needed for many functions such as making enzymes and hormones and creating the building blocks for tissues in the body. Provides roughly 4 calories per gram eaten.

Carbohydrate - The preferred fuel source of the nervous system and arguably the cleanest burning fuel for the body in general. Also provides approximately 4 calories per gram.

Fats - needed for lubricating and holding hydration in addition to being a very good/very dense energy source. Provides around 9 calories per gram.

Since we don't eat nutrients, but food, it is important to know where different nutrients are found in the food supply.

Most people are aware that protein is found in animal products such as meat and eggs, but don't necessarily realize that sufficient protein can be found in almost all whole foods. Fruits skew toward not having enough as a stand alone, but vegetables, and whole grains supply enough with legumes, nuts and animal products supplying plenty. Most of us eat twice as much protein as we need daily without even trying.

Carbohydrates are found in all plant foods whether it's a nut, seed or avocado (all of which are known for fat content but still contain carbs) to the starchy vegetables and whole grains which have substantial carbohydrate stores. When eaten minimally processed these plant foods offer an excellent supply of necessary nutrients to the diet without unduly messing with metabolism.

Fats are found in a plethora of plant foods including some listed above as well as all animal products. Essential omega fatty acids cannot be synthesize in the body and must be consumed. Omega 6's are easy to come by, but omega 3's require a little more effort as they are not found in large quantities in the most common foods. They can be found in fish and flax most notably.

Any of these macronutrient (calorie sources - our calories always come from either protein, fat or carbohydrates - including alcohol which is an odd 7 calories per gram from fermented carbs) categories can be problematic when refined down to be essentially the calories component without the natural nutrient package.

Edited by SpiritDragon

I'll need to add something to @SpiritDragon's post on macronutrients.

Fiber:

Most people tend to dismiss fiber since "You can't digest fiber."  That depends.  There are soluble fibers and insoluble fibers. 

Soluble fibers are altered in the body to become a gel-like consistency and are digested by our intestinal flora to become healthy fatty acids that can be absorbed by our bodies and used as a fuel source.  They also help the heart, and circulation, and many other functions of the body.

Insoluble fibers are NOT altered by the body.  But they serve the function of filling our empty stomachs, cleaning our intestines, and softening stool.  This does NOT provide fuel for the body.

I realized that this was one reason I was gaining weight again.  I had not been eating enough insoluble fibers.  Eggs don't have much.  As a result, I've been a bit irregular.  So, a lot of weight was still hanging around in my intestines. (sorry to gross you out).  But I'm taking measures.  And I'm going back down again.

Most foods that have a lot of fiber will have a lot of both.  But there is always a tendency to lean one direction or the other.  So, check out your favorite foods to see how much of each they have.

Edited by Guest

Hi @SpiritDragon, I'm gonna bow out of this for now.  I need to do some major evaluation to see where I need to go with this.  I'm sick again today so I need to solve these problems first.

I'm enjoying reading your mini-articles on nutrients and such.  Thank you for taking the time to do this with us.  I am reading them and filing them away to consider in my plan when I eventually get there.

39 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Hi @SpiritDragon, I'm gonna bow out of this for now.  I need to do some major evaluation to see where I need to go with this.  I'm sick again today so I need to solve these problems first.

I'm enjoying reading your mini-articles on nutrients and such.  Thank you for taking the time to do this with us.  I am reading them and filing them away to consider in my plan when I eventually get there.

I'm sorry to hear that, Anatess. All going well we will all still be here to support you upon your return. I hope we haven't put any undue pressure on you. The point of this from my perspective is to be helpful to people, and if you need a break I respect your opinion and maintain that you are the expert on you. Please feel free to do what you need to do to look after your health. We'll still be rooting for you.

7 hours ago, Carborendum said:

I'll need to add something to @SpiritDragon's post on macronutrients.

Fiber:

Most people tend to dismiss fiber since "You can't digest fiber."  That depends.  There are soluble fibers and insoluble fibers. 

Soluble fibers are altered in the body to become a gel-like consistency and are digested by our intestinal flora to become healthy fatty acids that can be absorbed by our bodies and used as a fuel source.  They also help the heart, and circulation, and many other functions of the body.

Insoluble fibers are NOT altered by the body.  But they serve the function of filling our empty stomachs, cleaning our intestines, and softening stool.  This does NOT provide fuel for the body.

I realized that this was one reason I was gaining weight again.  I had not been eating enough insoluble fibers.  Eggs don't have much.  As a result, I've been a bit irregular.  So, a lot of weight was still hanging around in my intestines. (sorry to gross you out).  But I'm taking measures.  And I'm going back down again.

Most foods that have a lot of fiber will have a lot of both.  But there is always a tendency to lean one direction or the other.  So, check out your favorite foods to see how much of each they have.

Great points @Carborendum, carbohydrates are fascinating because they have so many different forms which digest at different rates (or not really at all). Fiber is an interesting form of complex carbohydrate. However, if I'm remembering correctly, even the soluble fiber that can be digested by the gut bacteria (such as resistant starch) won't actually transfer any glucose into the body (Glucose is generally considered the final break down point of sugar, but other simple sugars like fructose can be). Instead the bacteria in your guts take what they need and what they leave behind for the body to use is actually short chain fatty acids which are beneficial to the intestines to help ward off unwanted cultures in the microbiome and continue to promote an environment that is friendly to healthy bacteria. I've read that instead of the usual 4 calories per gram that would be expected from carbohydrate that only 1-2 calories of short chain fats will get reabsorbed and contribute to energy in the body. This is far more helpful than taking probiotics by simply creating a healthy gut habitat blossoming with good flora that thrive and reproduce not needing to be constantly replenished by exogenous means.

Fun fact: Approximately 1/3 of your stool is comprised of dead bacteria from the gut.

11 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Oh, dude. I get that. Sometimes, I have fight snacking on unhealthy things on a minute by minute basis. 

One thing to keep in mind, your body fluctuates weight on a daily basis--even an hourly. So, not losing 2 lbs in one day is perfectly normal. Be consistent in your behaviors and you will see the weight come off. Just be patient (I know! easier said than done!).

Mostly made it.  Zero fast food.  Did not eat sparingly, but ate all protein and carrots.  One single peppermint.

Then dinner came.  Ate two homemade buttermilk biscuits, because wife made them.  Along with 330 cal worth of "snaps and beans", which is good healthy stuff.

Those two biscuits will probably mean I don't go down a pound.  But you don't say no to wifemade biscuits!

Longer wait to a cheat day than I'd hoped, but didn't blow anything.

6 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Mostly made it.  Zero fast food.  Did not eat sparingly, but ate all protein and carrots.  One single peppermint.

Then dinner came.  Ate two homemade buttermilk biscuits, because wife made them.  Along with 330 cal worth of "snaps and beans", which is good healthy stuff.

Those two biscuits will probably mean I don't go down a pound.  But you don't say no to wifemade biscuits!

Longer wait to a cheat day than I'd hoped, but didn't blow anything.

I'm sure you already know this, but keep in mind that one pound of body fat has 3500 calories of energy in it, so if you keep a 500 calorie deficit daily it will take seven days to lose a pound according to the math. There is more going on in the human body than just this math, but one pound a week is great progress. That's 50 lbs a year if you keep it up. This time next year you won't be upset to report that you only lost 50 lbs in 2019.

10 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Mostly made it.  Zero fast food.  Did not eat sparingly, but ate all protein and carrots. 

Danger Will Robinson!!!

Remember that you're only supposed to eat about 50 to 60 grams of protein per day unless you're body needs to rebuild.  This includes heavy exercise (muscle building at anabolic levels) and physical damage (injury or surgery).

And even if you do qualify, you need to supplement with plenty of water and vitamin C.  This is to help clean your kidneys which have to work overtime to process that much protein.  If you don't do this while taking higher doses of protein, you're setting yourself up for kidney failure.

Absorbing vitamin C is quite complex.  Example: The more vitamin C you take, the lower the percentage of absorption.  BUT, the higher the overall absorption.  Still, there is a limit to the amount your body will absorb per hour or per day.  At the moment the number escapes me.  But I had developed my regimen of taking 500mg per meal for a reason based on that.  And it has done me well.

I used to get 1000 mg tablets.  But I calculated that taking three 1000 mg tablets were just a waste based on absorption rates.  So, I got the cheaper smaller tablets.  And I've been fine.  I have a lot less soreness when I wake up in the morning after working out in the yard.  

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

Danger Will Robinson!!!

Great reference :) 

Remember that you're only supposed to eat about 50 to 60 grams of protein per day unless you're body needs to rebuild.  This includes heavy exercise (muscle building at anabolic levels) and physical damage (injury or surgery).

Great point - a reference number of use to some is 0.8 grams of protein per KG (2.2 lbs) is the suggested amount of protein intake for the regular population. Thus a 200 pound individual would need 200/2.2 * 0.8 = 80 grams of protein. This already includes a buffer to ensure it is enough for 97% of the population as different people have differing requirements due to biochemical individuality. The point is most people 50-60% won't even need this much, but to ensure no one is left behind the recommendations are higher. It's easy to eat in excess of 100 grams of protein without putting any thought or effort into it.

And even if you do qualify, you need to supplement with plenty of water and vitamin C.  This is to help clean your kidneys which have to work overtime to process that much protein.  If you don't do this while taking higher doses of protein, you're setting yourself up for kidney failure.

Absorbing vitamin C is quite complex.  Example: The more vitamin C you take, the lower the percentage of absorption.  BUT, the higher the overall absorption.  Still, there is a limit to the amount your body will absorb per hour or per day.  At the moment the number escapes me.  But I had developed my regimen of taking 500mg per meal for a reason based on that.  And it has done me well.

I used to get 1000 mg tablets.  But I calculated that taking three 1000 mg tablets were just a waste based on absorption rates.  So, I got the cheaper smaller tablets.  And I've been fine.  I have a lot less soreness when I wake up in the morning after working out in the yard.  

This is really interesting. I have read piles on the wonders of vitamin c in treating a plethora of conditions from measles to arthritis, the cold and flu to cataract prevention, but I have not read of it having a protective effect against protein poisoning in the kidneys. I suppose it's powerful antioxidant and antipathogenic properties would make sense in providing protection to the tissues of the kidneys against damage and possibly neutralizing some of the damaging agents before they cause trouble - I just would have also wondered about the excess excretion of vitamin c also putting stress on the kidneys. Fascinating.

It made me think of this video showcasing some interesting research on animal products in the diet causing kidney trouble that could be eliminated by taking anti-inflammatory medications. Perhaps the vitamin c is doing something similar to squelch inflammation and protect the kidneys. Do you have any sources I can look at on that?

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/which-type-of-protein-is-better-for-our-kidneys/

5 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Get some rest.  If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.

Even gathering info to use later puts you closer to your goal, whatever that ends up being.  :)

8 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

Do you have any sources I can look at on that?

That was from my old track coach from high school who told us to avoid cramping and sore muscles, we should drink pineapple juice because it helps with muscles and cleans out our kidneys because it has vitamin C.  This was backed up by the fact that kidney (dialysis) patients are advised to make sure they have 60-100 mg/day. 

What I didn't realize until I started looking things up to answer your question is that pineapple juice also has a decent amount of potassium.  And it is potassium that helps with kidneys. The vitamin C is for repair and building of tissues.

Remember that TOO high a dosage of vitamin C is also a problem.  Here's what I found:

Multiple sites say that the maximum healthy level is 2000 mg/day.  But they also say to avoid pushing this limit for a prolonged period.  While 2000 mg/day is what can cause short term annoying effects, doses as low as 1500 can cause problems in the long term if such doses are taken for a regular basis for a prolonged period.

The Mayo Clinic says:

The recommended daily amount of vitamin C for adult men is 90 milligrams and for adult women is 75 milligrams.

WebMD says:

High doses of vitamin C (greater than 2000 milligrams per day for adults) may cause kidney stones, nausea, and diarrhea.

Dr. Andrew Weil says"

In 1999, I lowered my recommendation to 200 mg – 500 mg (in two divided doses) after reviewing two well-designed studies showing that this amount more than saturates the body’s tissues and is sufficient to help protect against cancer, heart disease and other chronic illnesses. One of the studies concluded that 200 mg a day is the maximum amount of vitamin C that human cells can absorb, making higher dosing on a daily basis pointless.

-- Andrew Weil, M.D.

And Consumer lab also gives similar warnings.

So, stay away from getting TOO much Vitamin C.  In fact, I may need to reduce my intake down to two doses instead of three, and break a pill in half for those two doses.

Facts to consider:

• When taking a 100 mg tablet, your absorbtion rate is only 70% ro 90%.
  • While our cells can only absorb 200 mg/day total, more than 200 mg can be absorbed into the blood stream, but it is excreted by kidneys into urine.
  • Too much Vitamin C (read the attached articles to see what dosage you feel comfortable with) can cause harm.
  • Insufficient levels will lead to scurvy.
  • Slightly higher than RDA levels will be helpful.

So, other things to help kidneys:

https://www.wikihow.com/Detoxify-Your-Kidneys-Naturally

Edited by Guest

Well, confession time.

We haven't really been doing the food logs on here lately but I've still been careful.  The problem is that recently, I haven't been AS careful.  

Had a hit of soda on Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  Just one on each day... but still more than 0.  Went back to abstinence yesterday.  Last night I had a  hamburger from Burger King... but in my defense, it was the smallish one and had all the veggies on it.  No fries, no soda.  Other than that I was meh yesterday.  Breakfast was a lunchmeat sammich, had some leftover Chinese food for lunch (fried rice and General Tso Chicken) and a chicken/rice casserole with veggies in it for dinner.  The burger came later.  Been drinking water and Gatorade Zero.     

11 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Remember that you're only supposed to eat about 50 to 60 grams of protein per day unless you're body needs to rebuild. 

I accept everything you have to say here, but I think I'm ok.  I keep my diet varied and usually save the excesses for cheat day. 

@SpiritDragon can chime in here, but many of these "you shouldn't do more than X" guidelines apply in general, but exceeding them on occasion is not bad, yes?  Must we never again do an all-you-can-eat rib night because we might exceed 70 grams of protein?  Fasting would be another example.  "Don't skip breakfast!  That's a bad habit!  You could end up [insert all the bad stuff we know about what happens when people don't eat breakfast]!"   And yet, a monthly fast involving skipping two meals, well, there are some health benefits that come with that. 

A co-worker once told a fun story about a friend who went on the all-carrot diet, and her skin turned orange.  My wife had a friend with bizarre "only this and never that" diet notions, and gave birth to a preemie with low birth weight and the possibility of a lifetime of health issues.  Danger Will Robinson indeed!

Did the math - I had over a pound of chicken yesterday. Like 600 grams.  Am I gonna be able to play the flute doc?

24 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I accept everything you have to say here, but I think I'm ok.  I keep my diet varied and usually save the excesses for cheat day. 

@SpiritDragon can chime in here, but many of these "you shouldn't do more than X" guidelines apply in general, but exceeding them on occasion is not bad, yes?  Must we never again do an all-you-can-eat rib night because we might exceed 70 grams of protein?  Fasting would be another example.  "Don't skip breakfast!  That's a bad habit!  You could end up [insert all the bad stuff we know about what happens when people don't eat breakfast]!"   And yet, a monthly fast involving skipping two meals, well, there are some health benefits that come with that. 

As far as I can tell, almost EVERYthing is ok in short spurts.  And that would include the protein limit (just my opinion).  But here is the article I was referring to when talking about protein.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/12/03/669808699/how-much-protein-do-you-really-need

Did the math - I had over a pound of chicken yesterday. Like 600 grams.  Am I gonna be able to play the flute doc?

IIRC, chicken is like 30% protein.  So, that's 180 grams of protein.  Dang!  Don't do that every day.

A co-worker once told a fun story about a friend who went on the all-carrot diet, and her skin turned orange.  My wife had a friend with bizarre "only this and never that" diet notions, and gave birth to a preemie with low birth weight and the possibility of a lifetime of health issues.  Danger Will Robinson indeed!

Interesting story: Jordan Peterson and his family have particular health issues that were miraculously remedied by having an all meat diet.  Do the math.  You'd have to go over that 60 g limit to survive.

Edited by Guest

Tip of the day!

This week we made a very large pot of chunky chicken vegetable soup using vegetables that are low in calories.  The resulting soup is approximately 100 calories per bowl (Bowl = ~ 1.5 Cups ~ 14oz weight).  On the first day I ate 5 bowls, which was extremely filling, and I still ended the day below my calorie threshold.  The one downside was that the following morning I was 4 lbs heavier, however, that is temporary until the food is fully digested.  To avoid overfilling myself to get sufficient calories, I replaced 1/2 cup of rice with 1/2 cup of veggies.  This way I could eat fewer bowls and get more calories in; Ironic I know!!!!!

Take Away:  Hearty soup is great!  Get full with lots of veggies and some protein; lose weight while not being even remotely hungry!