2019 Weight Loss Group

SpiritDragon

Just now, anatess2 said:

Send them to Florida.  I'll babysit.  

It's still pretty here even in the rain.

75605a53a285274d3fe9505711411b5c.jpg

See?!?!?!? Even when the weather's bad your beaches have people on 'em.  

Heh I'd totally send them your way.  I just can't be held responsible for the state of your sanity afterward 🤣

Just now, unixknight said:

See?!?!?!? Even when the weather's bad your beaches have people on 'em.  

Heh I'd totally send them your way.  I just can't be held responsible for the state of your sanity afterward 🤣

What sanity?  My 2 boys took off with it.  I'm still looking for it... might be hidden somewhere where my placenta went.

I'm doing well.  3 digits, and they're all the same number!  And the number isn't 3!  The last time I weighed this little was July 3.  June-July 2018 held my previous low record - I'm 5 lbs away from that.

Now that I'm at the low end of things, the challenge is to keep losing that extra 10 that has been my constant companion for more than a quarter of a century.  I will tell myself "Hey, my all-time low is good enough.  I can be happy here.  Let's move to maintaining - I get more burgers that way!"    It is a persuasive argument, because it's true.  I can be happy as a fit and active and strong 10 lbs over.   But I can be ecstatic in the stable 210s, or, dare I dream, have a zero as my middle digit for the first time since the late 1980's?

I rocked January.  Now to rock February.  Now to fight the apathy and entitlement that comes after I've made a bragging post like this.

Edited by NeuroTypical

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

You know, I should mention that we have a bike trailer for hauling toddlers, so it's not impossible for me to  take the kids with me on a bike ride as the weather improves.

Omygosh, I had one of those... lugging one of those behind the bike with 2 toddlers makes Florida flatland feel like Colorado mountains.

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm doing well.  3 digits, and they're all the same number!  And the number isn't 3!  The last time I weighed this little was July 3.  June-July 2018 held my previous low record - I'm 5 lbs away from that.

Now that I'm at the low end of things, the challenge is to keep losing that extra 10 that has been my constant companion for more than a quarter of a century.  I will tell myself "Hey, my all-time low is good enough.  I can be happy here.  Let's move to maintaining - I get more burgers that way!"    It is a persuasive argument, because it's true.  I can be happy as a fit and active and strong 10 lbs over.   But I can be ecstatic at a 210, or, dare I dream, have a zero as my middle digit for the first time since the late 1980's?

I rocked January.  Now to rock February.  Now to fight the apathy and entitlement that comes after I've made a bragging post like this.

YEAY!  As a prize, you can have my silkie rooster.

1 minute ago, NeuroTypical said:

Now that I'm at the low end of things, the challenge is to keep losing that extra 10 that has been my constant companion for more than a quarter of a century.  I will tell myself "Hey, my all-time low is good enough.  I can be happy here.  Let's move to maintaining - I get more burgers that way!"    It is a persuasive argument, because it's true.  I can be happy as a fit and active and strong 10 lbs over.   But I can be ecstatic at a 210, or, dare I dream, have a zero as my middle digit for the first time since the late 1980's?

NeuroTypical - setting the example for us all.

3 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

LOL!  Are you sure you don't have two or three roosters?  Now that's the gift that keeps on giving!

I do have 2 silkie roosters, a silkie/polish rooster, and a modern game bantam rooster.  You can have them all except the one silkie rooster.  I can't ship them to the Philippines because of this export ban that's been going on in California that doesn't seem to be letting up.

2 hours ago, unixknight said:

Weigh in wasn't as bad as I feared.  Only gained back 2 lbs, and that was after a heavy dinner.

That's excellent news. I wanted to thank you for updating the spreadsheet too. I see @anatess2 rocked week 6 with some successful behaviours as well.

@NeuroTypical, @beefche, @zil I miss your updates.

What happened to @carborendum? I can't tag him, and now I see his posts just say guest... has his profile been deleted? :( We'll miss you Carb, you were great to have around.

31 minutes ago, SpiritDragon said:

That's excellent news. I wanted to thank you for updating the spreadsheet too. I see @anatess2 rocked week 6 with some successful behaviours as well.

@NeuroTypical, @beefche, @zil I miss your updates.

What happened to @carborendum? I can't tag him, and now I see his posts just say guest... has his profile been deleted? :( We'll miss you Carb, you were great to have around.

So SD, I’m in a bit of conundrum because I lost 15 lbs the past 6 weeks because I was sick.  I completely expect to gain it all back as I get over the illness.  So I’m not quite sure if I should make the -15 as my baseline weight or what... because, it will be depressing to see the chart go + every week as I get over my illness.

2 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

So SD, I’m in a bit of conundrum because I lost 15 lbs the past 6 weeks because I was sick.  I completely expect to gain it all back as I get over the illness.  So I’m not quite sure if I should make the -15 as my baseline weight or what... because, it will be depressing to see the chart go + every week as I get over my illness.

That does create a bit of a dilemma doesn't it. Would it be less depressing to mark down your weight fifteen pounds heavier the week before and show the 15 pound drop, knowing that as it comes up it still represents a drop from baseline? That seems to be the thing to do from my perspective. However, if it is simply the matter of documenting weight increases - period - then I wouldn't be against simply waiting a few weeks to set up your baseline and then working from there. The concern I have with that is that if you have another episode of illness that messes with your weight you're going to be confronted with this again and again, so ultimately it makes the most sense to me to simply document it knowing that it was a temporary weight fluctuation due to illness and not concern yourself too much with the fact that it's going back up to your "healthy-self" weight. Keeping an eye on the left hand column where net weight is tracked you'll still see that you are down from your pre-illness weight even if weekly it goes up for a while. Does keeping an eye on the net weight help the depression factor?

It's really up to you what you want to share and when. Whether it's posted or not the weight will do what it will do, but I can understand where you're coming from.

What sounds best to you?

9 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

That does create a bit of a dilemma doesn't it. Would it be less depressing to mark down your weight fifteen pounds heavier the week before and show the 15 pound drop, knowing that as it comes up it still represents a drop from baseline? That seems to be the thing to do from my perspective. However, if it is simply the matter of documenting weight increases - period - then I wouldn't be against simply waiting a few weeks to set up your baseline and then working from there. The concern I have with that is that if you have another episode of illness that messes with your weight you're going to be confronted with this again and again, so ultimately it makes the most sense to me to simply document it knowing that it was a temporary weight fluctuation due to illness and not concern yourself too much with the fact that it's going back up to your "healthy-self" weight. Keeping an eye on the left hand column where net weight is tracked you'll still see that you are down from your pre-illness weight even if weekly it goes up for a while. Does keeping an eye on the net weight help the depression factor?

It's really up to you what you want to share and when. Whether it's posted or not the weight will do what it will do, but I can understand where you're coming from.

What sounds best to you?

I'm going to be ambitious... I'll mark -15 as my baseline and make my goal keeping it there and for it not to creep back up.  It won't help much with the group goal, though.

13 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I'm going to be ambitious... I'll mark -15 as my baseline and make my goal keeping it there and for it not to creep back up.  It won't help much with the group goal, though.

That is ambitious. Have you had any weight rebound yet? A lot of weight lost during illness is from lost water, so as you get your hydration back up to par the weight comes up. If you've been fine for at least three days, your hydration should be back to normal though. It shouldn't even take that long, but I feel like it adds a safety buffer.

11 hours ago, SpiritDragon said:

That is ambitious. Have you had any weight rebound yet? A lot of weight lost during illness is from lost water, so as you get your hydration back up to par the weight comes up. If you've been fine for at least three days, your hydration should be back to normal though. It shouldn't even take that long, but I feel like it adds a safety buffer.

I just checked.  I gained back 5 of it.  No worries.  I'm determined to keep it there.

We went on vacation over the long weekend and I'm proud to have stuck with it.  We went to Busch Gardens and I ate nothing in the park.  Rather, I had healthier options outside of the park.  Usually, when we're gallivanting around the park, we carry those free refill soda containers and drink soda all day long.  This time, we stuck with the water fountains around the park.  It was a chilly 72 degrees at noon all weekend so we weren't as thirsty as the summer days.  And... walking around the park, chasing showtimes, catching trains, etc. etc. was tons of exercise.

But... I lost nothing.  Which is ok because I've maintained the weight I lost when I was sick and did not gain it back!

And my wallet did not lose much either.  It is such a big difference not buying food/drink inside the park!  I caved and bought the $60 photo package for the Giraffe-feeding experience though.

Oh - one backbone of my diet, is no limit on the amount of diet soda I drink.  Work keeps a free fridge, I'll sometimes have as many as 4-5 cans.  When I'm at home, I've been known to down an entire 2 liter bottle of caffeine free Kroger fake diet coke, maybe even more in a day.  I buy 'em in bulk for $0.79 each or cheaper when they're on sale.

Anyone got a problem with that?  :)

3 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Oh - one backbone of my diet, is no limit on the amount of diet soda I drink.  Work keeps a free fridge, I'll sometimes have as many as 4-5 cans.  When I'm at home, I've been known to down an entire 2 liter bottle of caffeine free Kroger fake diet coke, maybe even more in a day.  I buy 'em in bulk for $0.79 each or cheaper when they're on sale.

Anyone got a problem with that?  :)

You're welcome to have at it, but you may find the following of interest:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666314004000

Supports evidence which suggests that artificial sweeteners may lead to poor food decisions and/or weight gain.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18535548

Earlier study showing the unexpected increased weight associated with using artificially sweetened beverages

These findings raise the question whether AS (artificial sweetener) use might be fueling--rather than fighting--our escalating obesity epidemic.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688

Although these observational data cannot establish causality, consumption of diet soda at least daily was associated with significantly greater risks of select incident metabolic syndrome components and type 2 diabetes.

I'm certainly not here to stop you from enjoying your diet soda, but you might be interested to know that it might actually be sabotaging weight loss instead of helping and that it appears to lead to the same consequences metabolically as if you were consuming sugar. 

If you prefer not to read articles, here is a video showcasing some research on artificial sweeteners and health:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-diet-soda-increase-stroke-risk-as-much-as-regular-soda/

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

It was a chilly 72 degrees at noon all weekend so we weren't as thirsty as the summer days.

I completely understand that your location and experience is just plain different than mine, but I find this amusing since we have just warmed up this week from a frigid -30 C (-22 F) to a balmy -8 C (~18 F). It was so nice to be outside today while the weather was so pleasant :)