Overcoming Misconceptions About Our Heavenly Mother

One of the most memorable Relief Society classes I've attended centered around the divine nature of women. A sister brought up Heavenly Mother and what she imagined interacting with Her would be like. Everyone fell silent and many sisters had nervous looks on their faces. Personally, more than anything, I was surprised and intrigued. You see, that was the very first (and since then only) time I'd heard someone freely talk about Heavenly Mother at church... or really, anywhere. The teacher quickly changed the subject, but my mind stayed right there. That Sunday sparked a curiosity in me about our Heavenly Mother. Why don't we know more about Her? Is it really not okay to talk about Her? In my pondering and research, I discovered that we actually know more about our Mother in Heaven than I thought. Unfortunately, some of this knowledge has been hiding behind long-held myths and traditions. Here are four common misconceptions I found out aren't actually true: 1. We should not talk about Heavenly Mother because the subject is...

View the full article

It is also interesting that the name for God the Father is understood (in LDS doctrine at least) to be Elohim.   Elohim is Hebrew not for God, but for Gods (plural).  Jehovah (Yahweh) is understood in be the son in LDS teachings and is singular.

This brings up an interesting question.   Why is Elohim (the Father) plural if he is a completely different being (according to LDS teachings) than Jehovah (the son or Christ)?   I don't know, but could it be possible that the word Elohim (Gods, plural) was used in ancient writings to show that God was not single and that we have a Heavenly Mother?   Again I don't know, but I have wondered why Elohim is plural.   Other churches say that it is because the Father and Son are the same being, but our church doesn't believe that.  The only other reason I can think of (which doesn't mean that I am right) is that it might be plural to show us that we also have a Heavenly Mother.   I don't know though.  There are a lot of mysteries in ancient scripture.  I haven't seen our church have an explanation of why Elohim is plural.  

Also, it is interesting that Genesis 1:26 says the following:

1:26; And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.    In Hebrew Elohim (Gods) is used in the place of God in the verse.  Other churches say us refers to the Father and Son, but our Church says that Elohim does not refer to the Son.  

Edited by Scott

The reason we don't talk about our Heavenly Mother is because there's nothing to talk about that isn't pure speculation except that she exists. Such speculation can, indeed, be quite disrespectful. Not of her, per se, but of God the Father and the fact that He has explicitly not to revealed her to us. We can speak respectfully of her and still be disrespectful. 

The number one misconception about “heavenly mother“  is that such a concept is church doctrine. No doubt there is a divine Mother, but talking about “misconceptions” regarding such a being it’s kind of silly considering there’s not a single statement about a divine mother anywhere in the scriptures or in the revelations.  How can something be a misconception when there’s nothing to the contrary? I suspect the reason we don’t hear about a divine mother is because she isn’t in authority, as a mother and a wife that isn’t her role in the family. God the Father presides over all spirits, He is the disciplinarian but also the merciful father who loves his children. 

Besides, how can we talk about a divine mother when there are people in the church who can’t even except that God is a man? Actual doctrine?

Guest LiterateParakeet

Great article. I particularly liked this part . . .

"We know that She was very much involved in our creation as well as the development of the Plan of Salvation. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland and his wife, Sister Patricia T. Holland, have even said that our Father and Mother in Heaven continue to create everything around us “lovingly and carefully and masterfully.” And both of our heavenly parents’ involvement in the “divine plan” is affirmed by Elder M. Russell Ballard."

14 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The reason we don't talk about our Heavenly Mother is because there's nothing to talk about that isn't pure speculation except that she exists. Such speculation can, indeed, be quite disrespectful. Not of her, per se, but of God the Father and the fact that He has explicitly not to revealed her to us. We can speak respectfully of her and still be disrespectful. 

^^ Truth ^^

14 hours ago, LePeel said:

No doubt there is a divine Mother, but talking about “misconceptions” regarding such a being it’s kind of silly considering there’s not a single statement about a divine mother anywhere in the scriptures or in the revelations.

It's not canonized scripture (at least at this time), but the Church has said that the Family:  A Proclamation to the World is revelation and official doctrine.  Of course, it doesn't say much concerning a Heavenly Mother other than indicating that she exist.

It is possible that the Old Testament may refer to a Heavenly Mother; but this isn't fully understood at this time. Some archaeologists and biblical scholars believe so, but I haven't heard anything from our Church specifically concerning the matter.  

Edited by Scott