Ministering, the Lord vision vs. our own

Rob Osborn

I've been thinking a lot about this over the last few months. The new ministering assignments we have and how we envision it and ultimately how the Lord visions it interests me. I have long felt that ultimately, the Lord wants us to minister to all as we are moved upon by the Holy Ghost and as circumstance evolves. I have felt for a  time that ministering assignments (and also the old home and visiting teaching,) seem somewhat forced and not genuine. It feels like I'm not really connected or connecting with my ministering assignments. In the church we are so gocused on numbers. And yet, I think the Lord sees things much different. As moved upon by both circumstance and the Holy Ghost I find I am spending more time ministering to others not in my ward. Even in my ward, those I spend more time ministering to are not my ministering assignments. Certainly the Lord would prompt the ministering brothers and sisters assigned and not me? I don't believe so. And it may be a case of seeing through a dark glass. It seems that ideally we would minister to those we live closest to, are more connected or aquainted with etc. It seems like it never fails in ward council when we are discussing a family or individual that someone besides the ministering brother or sister assigned to that family or person knows more about the situation. And I don't think it's a fault of a poor ministering assignment program so much as it just isn't how the Lord views ministering and moves upon others to minister to others.

I remember having a dream right after a ward boundary change and thinking that "well, these families are in another's stewardship now". And in the dream I was shown that just because they are not within the ward boundaries doesn't mean my stewardship over them is released for that is not how the Lord views things. I brushed it off and went about my business. Since then the Lord has made manifest on no less than three separate occasions that my stewardship with them remains. I have helped them fix a car, get a job, give blessings too, etc. In fact, I know the ministering brother assigned to be partners with them and they came to us for some knowledge and advice. In the family business we run we do a lot of service for others and I find it interesting that almost entirely the services we provide others doesn't come from a ministering assignment.

I'm not saying that our ministering program isn't inspired by the Lord, I'm suggesting that the Lord reveals unto us ministering opportunities and we somehow get caught up in not seeing those as important as our ministering assignments. We tend to look at numbers (and thankfully the new ministering program isn't numbers driven like the old) instead of the bigger picture. I think we could do a lot better in making ministering assignments also. We tend to view ward boundaries as those within our stewardship and those in our ministering assignments or callings strictly as our stewardship. The Lord however views things very differently. He doesn't have ward boundaries in mind so much, neither does he have ministering assignments in mind so much. As we view the Lord's workings we see all too often that boundaries and assignments don't apply so much in ministering to others. Perhaps in time we will move beyond "assignments" and "boundaries" in carrying out the Lord's work. It's kind of analogous to living the lower letter of the law such as the Law of Moses rather than living the intent of the law.

@Rob Osborn have you ever been called and felt that you just aren't the one for it yet you accepted the calling anyway? If so, how did you do? Did you step up to the plate and make that calling your own? It is the same with HT/VT and now ministering. For the past 3 RS Presidency changes, I have been assigned on my own to three or four sisters who are Do Not Contacts. I know them though, and they will accept birthday/holiday and greeting cards from me. AND they tolerate it when I send them Branch/Stake happenings.

This last RS Presidency assigned me, four sisters, I have never heard of. Again I am alone -no companion - and I will have to go online to hunt down possible address's and phone numbers as there is nothing in the church directory or the directory that Hubby as SS President has access to.

So, in the meantime, I will continue to listen to and heed the Holy Ghost in regards to whomever Father wishes me to contact/tend to/ call/ etc. I will also submit the names of these assigned sisters to the Temple along with their spouses and children.

I much prefer our new ministering to the VT of yesteryear. I still send out cards, recipes (and our new 3-ring loose leaf Branch Cook Book)  to my other sisters. The Do Not Contact. Also, there are about 45 of our sisters who have never been assigned to and with anyone! There are six of us active sisters who have divided up these names and we have started slowly with them. Sending them birthday cards ~ including their families. Holiday cards. Notices well in advance of Pot Lucks, Special Branch Firesides, etc., etc.

Just recently I discovered a new restaurant in the next town. It is called Gyro Guys Medditerranean Cafe. I don't want to go alone, so I immediately thought of 6 sisters to ask if they wanted to join me for dinner. Three answered right away - Yes! The other 3 I will have to call on the phone rather than rely on emails. But to me, this is another way to minister. All of us to each other.

You are right in that we must listen to the Holy Ghost and act on the promptings. BUT to hear the Holy Ghost, we must be walking on the right path. Obeying the Lord's commandments.

1 hour ago, Rob Osborn said:

I've been thinking a lot about this over the last few months. The new ministering assignments we have and how we envision it and ultimately how the Lord visions it interests me. I have long felt that ultimately, the Lord wants us to minister to all as we are moved upon by the Holy Ghost and as circumstance evolves. I have felt for a  time that ministering assignments (and also the old home and visiting teaching,) seem somewhat forced and not genuine. It feels like I'm not really connected or connecting with my ministering assignments. In the church we are so gocused on numbers. And yet, I think the Lord sees things much different. As moved upon by both circumstance and the Holy Ghost I find I am spending more time ministering to others not in my ward. Even in my ward, those I spend more time ministering to are not my ministering assignments. Certainly the Lord would prompt the ministering brothers and sisters assigned and not me? I don't believe so. And it may be a case of seeing through a dark glass. It seems that ideally we would minister to those we live closest to, are more connected or aquainted with etc. It seems like it never fails in ward council when we are discussing a family or individual that someone besides the ministering brother or sister assigned to that family or person knows more about the situation. And I don't think it's a fault of a poor ministering assignment program so much as it just isn't how the Lord views ministering and moves upon others to minister to others.

I remember having a dream right after a ward boundary change and thinking that "well, these families are in another's stewardship now". And in the dream I was shown that just because they are not within the ward boundaries doesn't mean my stewardship over them is released for that is not how the Lord views things. I brushed it off and went about my business. Since then the Lord has made manifest on no less than three separate occasions that my stewardship with them remains. I have helped them fix a car, get a job, give blessings too, etc. In fact, I know the ministering brother assigned to be partners with them and they came to us for some knowledge and advice. In the family business we run we do a lot of service for others and I find it interesting that almost entirely the services we provide others doesn't come from a ministering assignment.

I'm not saying that our ministering program isn't inspired by the Lord, I'm suggesting that the Lord reveals unto us ministering opportunities and we somehow get caught up in not seeing those as important as our ministering assignments. We tend to look at numbers (and thankfully the new ministering program isn't numbers driven like the old) instead of the bigger picture. I think we could do a lot better in making ministering assignments also. We tend to view ward boundaries as those within our stewardship and those in our ministering assignments or callings strictly as our stewardship. The Lord however views things very differently. He doesn't have ward boundaries in mind so much, neither does he have ministering assignments in mind so much. As we view the Lord's workings we see all too often that boundaries and assignments don't apply so much in ministering to others. Perhaps in time we will move beyond "assignments" and "boundaries" in carrying out the Lord's work. It's kind of analogous to living the lower letter of the law such as the Law of Moses rather than living the intent of the law.

You are given ministering responsibilities.  They aren't limits now and never have been.

2 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

I’ve always said that any failure in the home teaching/ministering is a failing in the individual and not the organization. I still believe this. Any lack of genuinity(?) is on the one not putting forth the genuinity(?). Ether from a lack of care or from struggling to relate (this being more likely in my opinion). 

But I do agree that ministering is done best when the two parties already know each other and are friends. I have 3 “families”. One is a close friend of mine who I play basketball with every week, another is an inactive member that I enjoy going over to visit, and the 3rd is a family older than mine that enjoys babysitting my son. Because I know these people so well there is not much difficulty in me failing to fulfill my calling. 

I think assignments are great, it prevents anyone from being forgotten (at least in theory). Until we all become perfect saints, I would be sad to see assignments go, mostly because I imagine only a handful of members in my ward would reach out to the many innactive... but perhaps that is a better  situation than just assuming those assigned to the inactive are fulfilling their calling.

1 hour ago, Fether said:

I’ve always said that any failure in the home teaching/ministering is a failing in the individual and not the organization. I still believe this. Any lack of genuinity(?) is on the one not putting forth the genuinity(?). Ether from a lack of care or from struggling to relate (this being more likely in my opinion). 

But I do agree that ministering is done best when the two parties already know each other and are friends. I have 3 “families”. One is a close friend of mine who I play basketball with every week, another is an inactive member that I enjoy going over to visit, and the 3rd is a family older than mine that enjoys babysitting my son. Because I know these people so well there is not much difficulty in me failing to fulfill my calling. 

I think assignments are great, it prevents anyone from being forgotten (at least in theory). Until we all become perfect saints, I would be sad to see assignments go, mostly because I imagine only a handful of members in my ward would reach out to the many innactive... but perhaps that is a better  situation than just assuming those assigned to the inactive are fulfilling their calling.

I agree that it would be sad to see them go. I do think we could do a better job of figuring out assignments. That said, eventually I see the Lord doing away with a structured ministering assignment program.

On 1/5/2019 at 3:18 PM, Rob Osborn said:

“Stewardship: Responsibility to administer or attend to the assignments one receives in a Church calling, or to take care of those things with which we are blessed from God, including families, neighbors, and even temporal blessings.” https://www.lds.org/topics/stewardship?lang=eng

This shows that the Lord view things differently in that He supports both, not one over the other, and I would say this is an eternal principle involving assignments (D&C 72) and the power of agency to do many things of [our] own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness (D&C 58:27-28).

See also:

1. “Steward, Stewardship: A person who takes care of the affairs or property of another. That which a steward cares for is called a stewardship. All things on earth belong to the Lord; we are His stewards. We are accountable to the Lord, but we may report on our stewardship to God’s authorized representatives. When we receive a calling of service from the Lord or His authorized servants, that stewardship may include both spiritual and temporal affairs (D&C 29:34).” https://www.lds.org/scriptures/gs/steward-stewardship?lang=eng

2. “Environmental Stewardship and Conservation: This beautiful earth and all things on it are the creations of God (see Genesis 1:1; Moses 2:1; John 1:10; 2 Nephi 2:14). As beneficiaries of this divine creation, we should care for the earth, be wise stewards over it, and preserve it for future generations. The earth and all things on it are part of God’s plan for the redemption of His children and should be used responsibly to sustain the human family (see 1 Nephi 17:36; Moses 1:39; Abraham 3:24–25). However, all are stewards—not owners—over this earth and its bounty and will be accountable before God for what they do with His creations (see D&C 104:13–15). All humankind should gratefully use what God has given, avoid wasting life and resources, and use the bounty of the earth to care for the poor and the needy (see D&C 49:19–21).” https://www.lds.org/topics/environmental-stewardship-and-conservation?lang=eng