Jazmine Barnes... I'm no longer sure what to make of it

Backroads

So I've been following the Jazmine Barnes shooting for some days now because stuff like a little girl being shot to death really bothers me. Ever since the shooting, the case has been suggested to be racism--a white man shot at the car of a black family. The most recent development is the arrest of the suspect car's driver who also revealed who the shooter was--both are black. 

While I'm grateful arrests have been made, I can't help but be saddened that so much of the sensationalism around the case was racism. Is she even going to get anymore attention now that it seems to be case of mistaken identity by someone of her own race?

Sadly? Probably. 

Remember the shooting at YouTube Headquarters? The minute it came out that the shooter was a Middle Eastern woman who believed that the company was censoring her, most mainstream outlets suddenly found better things to report on. 

The FLDS compound here in Texas? Once it was revealed that the initial phone call that prompted the raid was a hoax call from someone in Colorado, all national-level news coverage ceased; only news outlets in Texas and Colorado continued to cover the story. 

And so on. 

The less the facts fit a narrative, the less a news outlet is going to cover it. 

20 hours ago, Backroads said:

that it seems to be case of mistaken identity by someone of her own race?

It's not a mistaken identity.  It's a cover-up.  The mother identified the killer as white complete with the stereotypical red pick-up.  The actual killer is in her Facebook friends list and was riding a black suv.  This is now looking like a drug-deal gone bad pinning the thing on a mythical white guy and his pick-up.  The wanna-be-black guy Shaun King sensationalized the story which makes it ironic because the sensationalization is the reason why the 2 black guys got caught.

Edited by anatess2