Shorter Sunday - How was it for you?

KScience

I have been reflecting on the shorter day, the changes which have been brought into effect and how to make the most of the lessons that I teach.

I hope that the structure inspires families to study together and makes it easier for this to happen.

I heard good reports of SS being more interactive as people had prepared; I hope that people keep the momentum and energy going for as long as possible.

More people lingered to chat after SS - We had a baptism and a few more than usual stayed as we were finished by "normal" time.

We had fewer testimonies borne, people will have to figure out they need to be more concise. People were turned away so we didn't run over.  Not sure if this will be a positive or negative...depends on who is more determined to speak.

I am struggling with only 20 mins to teach. Especially as I have a class of children who do not get the gospel at home - part member families, the only active one at home and one that comes with grandparents every other week. These children are amazing and I don't want to let them down...so will need some prayerful thought so I can receive promptings to guide them in the best way.

I miss singing time as now have to stay in the classroom with the other teacher as we have split junior/senior - loved being in with singing time.

Also fear I will be struggling with having an extra hour to do the stuff I usually do i.e. prep next weeks lesson, personal study and family history. So hoping people will want to linger for a few weeks still. 

So overall very positive and trying to frame my worries in a more positive manner.

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on the changes

I didn't like it.

I went out of town and went to a different ward.  There were 2 people waiting to bear their testimonies at the stand (or whatever you call the chairs behind the podium) when the bishopric stood up at exactly 5 minutes before the end of the hour to close the meeting.  It was quite jarring on the spirit.  In my ward, testimonies can go over and we adjust Sunday School.  I don't know if that still the way they do it in my ward, though.

I'm very not fond of military precision on time at the expense of the Spirit.  In the Philippines, meetings last as long as they need to last.  I attended an hour and a half gospel doctrine lesson once followed by a 2 hour relief society meeting.  Those that need to go can go anytime they desire but nobody left.  Primary ended way before RS ended and some of the kids joined RS, the other kids played basketball with their dads.  RS meeting ended and people gathered by the parking lot talking about the lessons.  Some people left, most people talked until they had to leave.  That's how I grew up.  So this time-conscious thing is really driving me up a wall.

Edited by anatess2

Until husband gets released as SSP, there will be no 2 hour Sundays for us. Our Branch will be having Branch Council EVERY stinking Sunday. So- he has to be there 1 hour early for it. Used to be it was on the 2nd and 4th Sundays. Which means I have to be there one hour early because I am the driver. 

Dang them all to kingdom come.

I liked it! Shorter is always gooder.   Our bishop started the meeting by  taking 10 minutes to explain the schedule since the chapel was packed and several "seldom comers" were there. Only problem was he forgot about the opening prayer and song. After his explanation he launched right into the sacrament. But someone tugged on his pant leg and reminded him to start the meeting officially with a song and prayer. It probably didn't help to have our stake president and one of his counselors on the stand. He really was pretty nervous about it all. It will take a few weeks to work the bugs out and let people adjust. I feel like it would be good to extend the Sacrament meeting time at least 10 min on Fast Sunday. Everyone was talking fast and worried they were going to mess up the schedule. And then Sunday school felt a little too long. 

My biggest worry about the landslide of changes is that It's throwing the ward leaders into a tizzy. Our bishop is swamped and the YW women leader I'm working with seems a lot more uptight than she used to be.  Our RS president is rolling her eyes like, "What now??"  Our highly energetic prophet just may need to slow down an itty bit. Our ward is still trying to get it's collective mind around ministering. 

Edited by carlimac

It's going to take getting used to, but will be good.

Shorter Sacrament meeting is always good.

Primary was chaos with everyone getting used to new everything-- schedule, teachers, rooms, and rearranged class rosters.  They pretty much spent the hour informing people where they are supposed to go.  Which is totally fine for the first week.  

SS was hard for me.  They rearranged all the adult rooms and teachers too, and I accidentally ended up with a teacher who is... challenging for me.  Normally when she teaches I really look forward to RS for a decent time there, but didn't have that light at the end of the tunnel this week.  I did miss it.  Again, I'll adapt (and go to the other class), and it will be good.  Just first week chaos.

Edited by Jane_Doe

I really enjoyed it. I team taught youth sunday school and had a great conversation with the kids. My oldest had her first day in primary as a big girl sunbeam and it was short enough she was happy about it - we were really concerned because going to nursery is a highlight of her week and she longs for it all sacrament meeting. But when it was all said and done, she was excited to see me come to get her, but also happy with what they did. The brevity of course was no doubt helpful because she confided in my wife that they made her sit in a chair and she couldn't run around the room with the kids and play the piano. We think too much sitting time would have turned her off and really made her miss nursery. She has a late birthday so she has only been three for a couple months and our nursery leaders did nothing to prepare the little ones to transition to primary. Fortunately, day one was an overall success.

45 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

It's going to take getting used to, but will be good.

Shorter Sacrament meeting is always good.

Primary was chaos with everyone getting used to new everything-- schedule, teachers, rooms, and rearranged class rosters.  They pretty much spent the hour informing people where they are supposed to go.  Which is totally fine for the first week.  

SS was hard for me.  They rearranged all the adult rooms and teachers too, and I accidentally ended up with a teacher who is... challenging for me.  Normally when she teaches I really look forward to RS for a decent time there, but didn't have that light at the end of the tunnel this week.  I did miss it.  Again, I'll adapt (and go to the other class), and it will be good.  Just first week chaos.

I may find that next week when I don't get Sunday School and have only Elder's Quorum. It's been a long time since I have been able to attend that meeting and the last few times I've felt quite out of place.

1 hour ago, SpiritDragon said:

I may find that next week when I don't get Sunday School and have only Elder's Quorum. It's been a long time since I have been able to attend that meeting and the last few times I've felt quite out of place.

It is going to take adjusting to, that's for sure.

I've frequently found that when SS or RS is a "miss" for me, the other is frequently a "hit", so I still have a good experience in church somewhere.  It'll take some getting used to with the shorter schedule.  It'll be good, but take getting used to.

It felt odd but good. I'm the SS president and I was doing my quarterly teacher training last Sunday. It felt really weird to dismiss the class and go home, almost like I was skipping the last part of church lol. But it was a positive change for me. We were able to get my 10 month old to her nap earlier, and used the extra time to have a really spirtual lesson with my wife and myself. Mrs. Midwest is in the Primary Presidency and said it was more difficult. While less time made it easier to deal with the kids, it was more difficult to teach the lessons. However, it's something she thinks they will get used to in time. Overall, I really enjoyed it and while I enjoyed the 3 hour block as well, this change was a real blessing for us.

Edited by Midwest LDS