Sleep Paralysis or Evil Spirits?

clbent04

Shortly after my divorce was final and before I met and married 2nd husband, I was at a member couples home along with the Elder Missionaries and another non-member couple. The Husband was telling of a time that he, his companion and the husband of a non-member wife were having dinner at the couples home. They (the member & his companion) had been asked by the wife for a blessing. She felt she was constantly being attacked by gremlins. Tugging at her pant legs, pulling on the curtains, high-jinks around her and the house, but only when her husband was at work.

They blessed her and banished the adversary from her. Then they blessed the house, room by room. As they went into each room they ALL saw this black cloud like substance slithering along the walls baseboards as it went under furniture to get away from them. The wife ran outside and opened the kitchen door so that the black had to go out that way.

Okay, fast forward a number of years, I am now married to 2nd Husband (who by the way is active in church, temple recommend holder & user, valiant in his Melchizedek p.hood.) and have moved from Central Coast Oregon to the middle of Arizona. In the first two months I have met his mother who is now between stage 2 and stage 3 Alzhimetxzer, his worthless meth addict/selling baby brother and the thing he calls his wife and baby brothers 3 youngest daughters, who wife is pimping out to get money to buy more meth &/or cocaine. Mom's home is the most horrible feces infested place outside of a derelict dog kennel I have ever seen. Dog, cat, rodent AND human feces!!

One day while alone at our home, I felt besieged by the black slime like evil. It not only is creeping along the floorboards but also up the corners of the walls and along the ceiling moldings. I just can't stand to be in the house alone, so I go to the shopping malls, eat lunch, go to the movies, eat dinner and finally Hubby gets home from work at midnight. I am sitting outside in the car waiting for him.

When I tell him what I have seen, felt and the fear and oddly enough the disgust. He blesses the house. By now my two cats are in the extra room we used for our computer room. Hubby blesses this room first, then I shut the cats in. Before he starts in any of the other rooms I make sure all the windows are shut tight as well as all of the exterior doors EXCEPT the front door.

As he blesses each room, out of the corner of my eyes I can see the black slime moving away from us, until it finally goes out the front door. That night is the first night that I haven't felt pinned to the bed. Now every time Baby Brother or one of his brood called or even came to the house, and we discussed what the conversation was, Hubby had to re-bless the house and cast out the adversary. Every prayer we had needed to have the plea for Father to banish the adversary from us. EVERY SINGLE PRAYER.

When I would feel pinned to the bed, or that an elephant was laying on me, or that there wasn't enough oxygen in the room to breathe, I would wake Hubby up to pray with me. THIS only happened after us talking about baby brother &/or his family. So, our new rule was we only discussed baby brother outside of the house AND not in the car either.

Coming to this new home in Oregon, Hubby blessed the house before we even moved the bulk of our possessions into the house. We curtail any talk of baby brother or the three youngest girls. We also don't watch shows that have a lot of foul words, depict demons or satan as okay things. When I start to see black slime/clouds or feel paralyzed in bed, or that the air is too thick & hot, then we have to review what we have been doing to invite this evil into our home, stop it, and Hubby then blesses the home again.

One thing else is that Satan and his minions CANNOT do is hurt children aged 8 and under. That doesn't mean they can't sense and in some cases see them, but they CANNOT be hurt or possessed by them.

47 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I cannot speak to anyone else's experiences but I can speak clearly and distinctly to my own and that evil and unclean spirits do indeed exist and influence or attempt to influence our lives in many different ways and to different degrees - sometimes so subtle that we may not realize it at first - and at other with brazen obvious acts that would be unmistakable.

Agreed completely.  I sometimes wonder if temptations that we struggle with chronically, like the desire to view adult material, use unhealthy substances, etc. are the result of those kinds of influences.  Maybe even possession, in some cases?  I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised.

7 hours ago, unixknight said:

I think, if my goal were to confuse humanity and lead them astray, that's a  tactic I might use.  If you can convince people that these things are purely psychological, it not only discourages them from seeking spiritual solutions, it also erodes their faith in the wisdom of their spiritual leaders entirely.  

That's exactly what I think. Just as any positive spiritual experience can be rationalized by others as insignificant and not spiritual at all, the same can be said of encounters with evil spirits. Rationalizations that explain away all things spiritually are readily accepted by many.

1 minute ago, clbent04 said:

That's exactly what I think. Just as any positive spiritual experience can be rationalized by others as insignificant and not spiritual at all, the same can be said of encounters with evil spirits. Rationalizations that explain away all things spiritually are readily accepted by many.

This was explored a bit in the film "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" which I found to be scarier than "The Exorcist."  In the film, a Catholic priest is on trial after a failed exorcism attempt.  The prosecution basically blames him for the family not continuing to seek medical treatment for the victim.  The film is somewhat ambiguous in its conclusion but it does explore this very issue.  I don't remember clearly what exactly the family had tried before the exorcism was attempted... I should watch it again.  

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

@clbent04 I have experienced sleep paralysis - not much but only once or twice in my lifetime when I have awoken from sleep.  But I also had an experience, maybe similar to yours and not unlike the boy Joseph Smith.  I was 13 years old (about the same age as Joseph) in the attitude of prayer before retiring for the night when I sensed a presents enter my room that I immediately identified as evil or unclean.  At this point of my life I always prayed vocally out loud.   Not only was I bound unable to move but I was also unable to speak.   While I was so held I saw a "darkness" engulfing my room and creating a discernible boundary between the darkness and the light (from a lamp by my bed) as the lamp light was not able to penetrate the darkness.  The darkness was gathering in the room and gradually limiting the lamp light like a fog rolling in.  When the darkness reached me; I could feel it and it so terrified me that I as certain that I would die.

I determined to pray to G-d in the name of Jesus Christ for deliverance.  As I began to pray the darkness began to withdraw from touching me.  I am currently giving a very brief and incomplete account of what happened but obviously I was delivered.  It was my first ever encounter with unclean spirits but not by any means my last.

I cannot speak to anyone else's experiences but I can speak clearly and distinctly to my own and that evil and unclean spirits do indeed exist and influence or attempt to influence our lives in many different ways and to different degrees - sometimes so subtle that we may not realize it at first - and at other with brazen obvious acts that would be unmistakable.

The Traveler

I believe you. Especially after experiencing my experience. What's crazier about your experience is you weren't even coming out of a dream. You were completely awake. With my experience a lot of people would say, oh, you were just half-asleep. Harder to refute your experience.

38 minutes ago, unixknight said:

This was explored a bit in the film "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" which I found to be scarier than "The Exorcist."  In the film, a Catholic priest is on trial after a failed exorcism attempt.  The prosecution basically blames him for the family not continuing to seek medical treatment for the victim.  The film is somewhat ambiguous in its conclusion but it does explore this very issue.  I don't remember clearly what exactly the family had tried before the exorcism was attempted... I should watch it again.  

The movie was loosely based on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anneliese_Michel

One woman I met while serving a mission said she had terrifying experiences with an evil spirit or spirits.  She said she would have these encounters after attending church so she went inactive for a while.  She learned later she could cast them out through prayer or the name of Jesus Christ.  She was active at the time I met her.

I have had several weird encounters with evil spirits and not while asleep.  One experience I had was while living in California.  My girlfriend and I (later we married) were alone in a house at night and heard a noise that sounded like a grunt.  My girlfriend asked me what the noise was.  I said I had also heard it but did not know.  Later I could sense and see and an evil presence outside the house.  I saw three wicked spirits standing near a tree and the landscape outside.   The next morning I examined the area I saw the spirits at (it was a dark night so I could not see the landscape) and was amazed that the landscape looked exactly as I saw it in my mind the previous night.  I prayed and asked Heavenly Father to cast these spirits away.  The spirits departed not long after.

41 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

The movie was loosely based on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anneliese_Michel

Yeah I knew it had been based on a story in Germany but didn't remember the details. 

This stuff is why the Catholic church is super careful to vet cases like this to completely eliminate the possibility of mental illness before proceeding with an exorcism.  I get why they do that, and definitely a vetting process is called for, but I wonder about cases where it's legitimately something supernatural but an effective treatment is delayed... That, plus our knowledge of psychology is still way underdeveloped, yet it's used as the gold standard, even by an organization that's supposed to be entirely spiritual.

When it comes to treating someone in such a situation, I can't help wondering, why delay the exorcism?  Why not take steps there concurrent with medical treatment?  It's what we do, isn't it?  Provide blessings before, during and after medical efforts?

On 1/9/2019 at 7:00 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Rene Descartes: 'I think therefore I am'.

I have'nt seen or heard any effective counter to the arguement that what Descartes described as thinking, could just have easily come from some other influence inside his head other than himself. Why did Descartes assume that his thoughts came from him? Surely, we who believe in divine inspiration are fully conversant with the idea that all that is in our heads does not come from ourselves.

On 1/9/2019 at 3:58 AM, clbent04 said:

I went to check on our 2-year old daughter,

I understand the motivation that would lead a parent to check on their 2 year old daughter, but I'm a little unsure of the necessity to do so. Isn't it the case that under 8's are protected from evil spirits and such influences?

I myself tend to try to avoid movies that have darkness at their center.  I find having such things or watching such things can act like an invitation to things that we would not want to be around us.

Just my thoughts regarding watching movies centering around certain darker subjects.

On the otherhand watching uplifting and good videos and movies seem to have an opposite effect.

5 minutes ago, askandanswer said:

I have'nt seen or heard any effective counter to the arguement that what Descartes described as thinking, could just have easily come from some other influence inside his head other than himself. Why did Descartes assume that his thoughts came from him? Surely, we who believe in divine inspiration are fully conversant with the idea that all that is in our heads does not come from ourselves.

Well, you can't have "his thoughts" or "his head" or "someone putting thoughts into him" without a "him" to have a head, or a thought.  

Kind of hard to get around that.

1 hour ago, askandanswer said:

I understand the motivation that would lead a parent to check on their 2 year old daughter, but I'm a little unsure of the necessity to do so. Isn't it the case that under 8's are protected from evil spirits and such influences?

Couldn't help but check. It was like a burglar had just broken into my home. We check on her occasionally anyway to make sure the blanket is still covering her, so doing one extra check isn't a big deal.

Edited by clbent04

4 hours ago, Iggy said:

Shortly after my divorce was final and before I met and married 2nd husband, I was at a member couples home along with the Elder Missionaries and another non-member couple. The Husband was telling of a time that he, his companion and the husband of a non-member wife were having dinner at the couples home. They (the member & his companion) had been asked by the wife for a blessing. She felt she was constantly being attacked by gremlins. Tugging at her pant legs, pulling on the curtains, high-jinks around her and the house, but only when her husband was at work.

They blessed her and banished the adversary from her. Then they blessed the house, room by room. As they went into each room they ALL saw this black cloud like substance slithering along the walls baseboards as it went under furniture to get away from them. The wife ran outside and opened the kitchen door so that the black had to go out that way.

Okay, fast forward a number of years, I am now married to 2nd Husband (who by the way is active in church, temple recommend holder & user, valiant in his Melchizedek p.hood.) and have moved from Central Coast Oregon to the middle of Arizona. In the first two months I have met his mother who is now between stage 2 and stage 3 Alzhimetxzer, his worthless meth addict/selling baby brother and the thing he calls his wife and baby brothers 3 youngest daughters, who wife is pimping out to get money to buy more meth &/or cocaine. Mom's home is the most horrible feces infested place outside of a derelict dog kennel I have ever seen. Dog, cat, rodent AND human feces!!

One day while alone at our home, I felt besieged by the black slime like evil. It not only is creeping along the floorboards but also up the corners of the walls and along the ceiling moldings. I just can't stand to be in the house alone, so I go to the shopping malls, eat lunch, go to the movies, eat dinner and finally Hubby gets home from work at midnight. I am sitting outside in the car waiting for him.

When I tell him what I have seen, felt and the fear and oddly enough the disgust. He blesses the house. By now my two cats are in the extra room we used for our computer room. Hubby blesses this room first, then I shut the cats in. Before he starts in any of the other rooms I make sure all the windows are shut tight as well as all of the exterior doors EXCEPT the front door.

As he blesses each room, out of the corner of my eyes I can see the black slime moving away from us, until it finally goes out the front door. That night is the first night that I haven't felt pinned to the bed. Now every time Baby Brother or one of his brood called or even came to the house, and we discussed what the conversation was, Hubby had to re-bless the house and cast out the adversary. Every prayer we had needed to have the plea for Father to banish the adversary from us. EVERY SINGLE PRAYER.

When I would feel pinned to the bed, or that an elephant was laying on me, or that there wasn't enough oxygen in the room to breathe, I would wake Hubby up to pray with me. THIS only happened after us talking about baby brother &/or his family. So, our new rule was we only discussed baby brother outside of the house AND not in the car either.

Coming to this new home in Oregon, Hubby blessed the house before we even moved the bulk of our possessions into the house. We curtail any talk of baby brother or the three youngest girls. We also don't watch shows that have a lot of foul words, depict demons or satan as okay things. When I start to see black slime/clouds or feel paralyzed in bed, or that the air is too thick & hot, then we have to review what we have been doing to invite this evil into our home, stop it, and Hubby then blesses the home again.

One thing else is that Satan and his minions CANNOT do is hurt children aged 8 and under. That doesn't mean they can't sense and in some cases see them, but they CANNOT be hurt or possessed by them.

Thanks for sharing. That is a crazy experience. A very wise member in the church once taught me that when you cast out evil, always do so by adding something to the effect of, "and I place you under lock and key until after the Millennial Reign." That way, the same evil spirits can't come back to harass you. With the Priesthood power we have the power to bind and loose things spiritual here on earth. When the apostles “bound” something, or forbade it on earth, they were carrying out the will of God in the matter. When they “loosed” something, or allowed it on earth, they were likewise fulfilling God’s eternal plan.

A casting out of evil spirits has its limitations with the Holy Priesthood and with faith.  If you cast wicked spirits out in the name of Christ and then grievous sins are committed in the area the spirits can come back. 

I heard a situation about someone playing with ouji boards in a house.  A blessing was pronounced by the Priesthood and the evil spirits were cast out.  A person then began committing fornication in the house.  He told me that weird things would happen in his room.  Objects would occasionally be moved off a shelf or out of place for no reason.  Personages would be seen.

Once unclean spirits are cast out do not do things that will open the door to invite them back.

Edited by Still_Small_Voice

9 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

A casting out of evil spirits has its limitations with the Holy Priesthood and with faith.  If you cast wicked spirits out in the name of Christ and then grievous sins are committed in the area the spirits can come back. 

I heard a situation about someone playing with ouji boards in a house.  A blessing was pronounced by the Priesthood and the evil spirits were cast out.  A person then began committing fornication in the house.  He told me that weird things would happen in his room.  Objects would occasionally be moved off a shelf or out of place for no reason.  Personages would be seen.

Once unclean spirits are cast out do not do things that will open the door to invite them back.

As far as what @Iggy described though, it doesn’t seem like they were doing anything to invite the evil spirits back. They were just having conversation about some of their misled relatives. That’s why I suspect it might be the same spirits that were harassing them. It appears they cast them out temporarily, and without an invitation the same spirits returned after a period of time.

Edited by clbent04

I side more on the mental state issue.  When your mind is half asleep, it can come up with some seriously crazy stuff.

The brain doesn't just think of one thing at a time.  There are the analytical parts of your brain that are thinking the logical, but then there are emotional parts and parts that have imagination and memories and what not.  There is a lot going on up there.

The thing is that during the waking hours our cognitive part is active and tends to drown out the other parts.  When we are asleep that area tends to be quiet and the other parts are easier to be heard.  And you imaginations can get pretty crazy and seem real.  And you emotions can certainly respond to that.

Had you really been fully awake, you would have been completely fine, but at that time of the morning, you may have been awake, but just barely.

The flip side of this is... Why would satan want to attack you?  I would think that instead of attacking you, he'd rather get you friendly with him.  If he attacks you, you are more likely to turn to God and rethink life choices...  just the opposite of what he wants.  

The above is just my opinion.  I am not a doctor and certainly not paid like one.