Can I say that a certain activity provides blessings?

dahlia

I am writing an article about the Freedman's Bureau files as part of my calling as a genealogy person (sorry, I'm a terrible callee. I think they changed the name for this calling, but I forget. It's late.). Anyway, the digitization for this project was completed in 2016. These documents are supplemented with other documents held by the Smithsonian and you can volunteer to transcribe these documents.

I want the white members to know that they can do this work, too; don't just save it for the black folks. I'd like to say that they would get blessings for contributing to the project, which will help black Americans, who have never had access to Civil War era family history before, to do their family history and temple work.

Can you get blessing for doing something like this for other people? Do regular church members have the doctrinal right to say that someone will get blessings for doing a particular thing? 

Inquiring minds, etc., etc. :itwasntme:

1 hour ago, dahlia said:

I am writing an article about the Freedman's Bureau files as part of my calling as a genealogy person (sorry, I'm a terrible callee. I think they changed the name for this calling, but I forget. It's late.). Anyway, the digitization for this project was completed in 2016. These documents are supplemented with other documents held by the Smithsonian and you can volunteer to transcribe these documents.

I want the white members to know that they can do this work, too; don't just save it for the black folks. I'd like to say that they would get blessings for contributing to the project, which will help black Americans, who have never had access to Civil War era family history before, to do their family history and temple work.

Can you get blessing for doing something like this for other people? Do regular church members have the doctrinal right to say that someone will get blessings for doing a particular thing? 

It sounds like a worthwhile endeavor for members of any race, whether they are subsequently blessed for it or not.

Do you have a link to the project?

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Ask your Temple & Family History Consultant Lead. If you don't know who that is, go to your online directory, click on Ward Leaders, then click on Family History. The first name will be your lead. Don't have one, then click on your Stake information and do the same thing. Contact the StakeT&FHC-Lead. Or ask the person who gave you this assignment.

On the third read of your post, sounds like you are an Indexing Worker - still, follow the same steps.

As a Branch T&FHC I would say that yes, the members will receive blessings for doing this work. I am unable to do indexing as it is near impossible for me to decipher the handwriting. I try, and it causes me to get a migraine. But go through the steps I have laid out, ask to get their knowledge regarding the possible blessings. Then also ask if they know of any talks, scriptures to back you all up with this. 

9 hours ago, dahlia said:

If you have a testimony, bear it! I think the Brethren have testified plenty of the blessings of temple and family history work, and this falls within that. If you do, I recommend your article have the usual disclaimers about not representing the Church. You might want to consider your audience also and whether a testimony will help you spread the word and get more involvement or not. Something to pray about!

Anyone can promise any blessing for doing any activity that the Prophets and Apostles have promised to the general membership (ex. General Conference, Church Magazine, Scripture).

Unless a promised blessing is back by the general authorities, I would t use personal experience as a basis to promise blessings (ie. Don’t promise that doing indexing will get you accepted into the college if your dreams. Even though you felt it was key to you getting accepted into your favorite college).

If you are in a position of leadership/stewardship, you can receive specific revelation and promised blessings for those you have responsibility over. You can’t make up blessings, but you can be inspired to certain blessings to promise for actions.

8 hours ago, Iggy said:

Ask your Temple & Family History Consultant Lead. If you don't know who that is, go to your online directory, click on Ward Leaders, then click on Family History. The first name will be your lead. Don't have one, then click on your Stake information and do the same thing. Contact the StakeT&FHC-Lead. Or ask the person who gave you this assignment.

On the third read of your post, sounds like you are an Indexing Worker - still, follow the same steps.

As a Branch T&FHC I would say that yes, the members will receive blessings for doing this work. I am unable to do indexing as it is near impossible for me to decipher the handwriting. I try, and it causes me to get a migraine. But go through the steps I have laid out, ask to get their knowledge regarding the possible blessings. Then also ask if they know of any talks, scriptures to back you all up with this. 

I'm not an indexer (other than in spare time), but a family history consultant.  There are now a bunch of us - youth, RS, men's, ward. We are trying to get family history & temple work in front of members each month via articles in our group newsletters.

41 minutes ago, dahlia said:

Thanks for the link.

I checked it out, and unfortunately, like Iggy, I have sight issues that make it near impossible for me to decipher handwriting (particularly cursive) even when I am able to zoom in on the digit document. As such, I am not much help even with Indexing

But, hopefully others can be of service, and I wish the project all the best.

Again, thanks for bringing this to our attention. -Wade Englund-