Rare 1943 Penny could bring in over $1,000,000 at auction

Still_Small_Voice

More than seven decades ago, a Massachusetts teenager found a 1943 Lincoln penny in his lunch change and he decided to hang on to it until his death just a few months ago.

That extremely rare one-cent piece could rack up as much as $1,700,000 when it's auctioned off Thursday in Dallas, the New York Post reported.

The World War II penny is one of only 20 that were accidentally pressed in copper that year, Sarah Miller of Heritage Auctions in Dallas told Fox News.

Read more at: https://www.theblaze.com/news/rare-penny-could-fetch-nearly-2-million

I have a 1917 penny.  It is over 100 years old.  I will sell to anyone for half the price of the other 1943 penny for a mere $65,000.  I cannot believe anyone would pay over $1,000 for a penny.  "It's made of bronze though."  I do not get it.  It is just a penny to me.  A solid gold penny would not even fetch in bullion weight $1,000.

7 minutes ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

I have a 1917 penny.  It is over 100 years old.  I will sell to anyone for half the price of the other 1943 penny for a mere $65,000.  I cannot believe anyone would pay over $1,000 for a penny.  "It's made of bronze though."  I do not get it.  It is just a penny to me.  A solid gold penny would not even fetch in bullion weight $1,000.

I just can't fathom paying 1.7 million dollers for something you are just going to use show off to your (generic) friends. I actually like coins, although I am far too poor to collect lol, and think it's neat to be able to hold a piece of history in my hands. But paying 1.7 million for a penny is just insane to me (although kudos to the seller 😃).

Edited by Midwest LDS

Guest MormonGator
8 minutes ago, Midwest LDS said:

paying 1.7 million for a penny is just insane to me

Remember, an asset isn't worth anything until you find a buyer willing to pay. I collect both comics and baseball cards. People who don't collect anything often ask me what my collection would be worth. I always respond, "Nothing until I find a buyer." They seem confused. They fail to comprehend that you can't just walk into a store and say "Hey, Ebay says I can get $900 for this baseball card. Give it to me." Um, doesn't work that way. 

8 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Remember, an asset isn't worth anything until you find a buyer willing to pay. I collect both comics and baseball cards. People who don't collect anything often ask me what my collection would be worth. I always respond, "Nothing until I find a buyer." They seem confused. They fail to comprehend that you can't just walk into a store and say "Hey, Ebay says I can get $900 for this baseball card. Give it to me." Um, doesn't work that way. 

You are absolutely right. I think people are often confused between what an appraised value is, and what you can actually get for it. And I absolutely respect the right of free enterprise. If you want to spend a million and a half dollers of your own money on a penny, you go right ahead. I'm still going to think you're (generic) insane, but you'll have that penny and that's all that matters😁. Plus I'm going to go out an a limb and say the kind of person who can afford to drop that much dough on something like that, probably looks at one million dollers the way I look at 1000. Pricey, but not impossible.

Edited by Midwest LDS

Last I heard, one of these pennies had not been accounted for, thus, I always check all pennies I get, just in case whoever has it is too dumb to know it, and the last penny makes it into the wild. :)  (No, I have no hope of it ever finding its way to me, but I still check.)

My dad, who was much more excited about this stuff than I am, gave me a small collection of rare coins when I was a kid.   The whole thing was probably worth maybe almost five bucks back in the late '70's.  A few years ago when I last looked at it, I figured the whole thing had skyrocketed in value, probably to maybe ten or even fifteen bucks in value.

I'll let anyone have it here, sight unseen, for $500.  I'm almost certain there's a non-zero chance that one of those rare pennies is in the pile.

The 1943 bronze penny sold for $204,000 in price.  Read more about it here:

http://fortune.com/2019/01/11/ultra-rare-penny-auction/

I hope by the year 2026 I have at least accumulated $200,000 in my retirement accounts.  It may take my wife and I seven more years to almost save what this auction for a penny just went for.