Life Lessons

zil

Today's lesson: You can't hear the stove beep that it's up to temperature if the music is cranked up loud enough to rattle the windows.  (When you realize this, it's wise to turn it (the music) down before the beep that indicates your food is done cooking.)

Please feel free to share your lesson for the day - I'm sure we all have them, things you just have to experience yourself (at least a dozen times), things you plan to remember next time, things your parents never told you (or if they did, you didn't hear it because the music was too loud).

Edited by zil

2 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Japan has an amazing heavy metal culture and one that shamefully, I was only introduced to very recently. 

Truly something we should all remember and keep sacred in hour hearts.

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Japan has an amazing heavy metal culture and one that shamefully, I was only introduced to very recently. 

I'm thinking this is more a discovery, and that the life lesson is something about finding your people in the last place you'd think to look for them.  Or maybe that one should search all cultures for metalheads before assuming they don't have any.  So, where are you off to next?  Nepal? Iran?  Maybe Tahiti?

6 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

This reminds me of another life lesson I've come to realize over the past couple of years.

Houston, probably the most diverse of all U.S. Cities, having a fantastic selection of almost every type of ethnic cuisine (truly, if you can think of a type of ethnic food, Houston has a dozen restaurants for that specific type) seems to have trouble with Korean food.

8 out of 10 Asian fusion restaurants misunderstand what kim chee is.  <shakes head>.

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, zil said:

I'm thinking this is more a discovery, and that the life lesson is something about finding your people in the last place you'd think to look for them.  Or maybe that one should search all cultures for metalheads before assuming they don't have any.  So, where are you off to next?  Nepal? Iran?  Maybe Tahiti?

Discovery/life lesson. Doesn't matter. Japan has some amazing metal. 

15 hours ago, zil said:

Today's lesson: You can't hear the stove beep that it's up to temperature if the music is cranked up loud enough to rattle the windows.  (When you realize this, it's wise to turn it (the music) down before the beep that indicates your food is done cooking.)

Please feel free to share your lesson for the day - I'm sure we all have them, things you just have to experience yourself (at least a dozen times), things you plan to remember next time, things your parents never told you (or if they did, you didn't hear it because the music was too loud).

That is some...LOUD music.  Can't say I've ever done that.  Would that not make one deaf after a while?

Good tip for those who listen to music that loud...or having some other way to know when the oven is done.

No life lesson, but I have a tip regarding Kim Chee, since it was brought up above.

If you have never eaten Kim Chee previously in life and are invited to eat some made by a Korean, be aware it MIGHT be far more spicy than you thought.

I was invited to eat Kim Chee once upon a time by a Korean individual that I knew (this was many years ago when I was actually a young man).  We knelt (no chairs, we knelt instead) and he had a small cooking pot.  He had some other items mixed in with it...and IT WAS SPICY. 

I don't know what he put in it, but it was Hot.  You may think you like spicy food and eat Tex Mex hot all the time, but I tell you, this could compete with the best of them.

So, when eating Kim Chee with a Korean, be aware that it might be a tad spicy.

Read this book with your daughters in their youth

2578EE96-E77C-4555-93B5-8362AF83E968.jpeg.83568b710fc6766841cba2270c3495f2.jpeg

Then when you have the talk about dating and boys you can simply explain that boys are mice and kisses are cookies.

I just sent my daughter to college and sent her a framed book to hang on the wall.

Edited by mikbone

Guest MormonGator
42 minutes ago, Vort said:

Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine. Which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.

That was awesome. Made me laugh out loud. 

6 hours ago, Vort said:

Change out of your Church clothes before you eat spaghetti.

6 hours ago, zil said:

This is excellent advice.  Somehow spaghetti sauce always ends up in places you couldn't have imagined when you started eating.

I must share this with my wife so that she will know that her husband is not a slob.

4 hours ago, zil said:

Today's lesson is that that drawer under the stove is in fact easily removed, but if you remove it, you'll wish you hadn't.

Actually, you can see this as an opportunity.

IMG_20190111_175914448.thumb.jpg.85e96b85fb3fe12a8a31a18104013c47.jpg

This is a mini-shelf with a hinged door.  Really useful.  We have a set of pots and pans with interchangeable handles.  Good place to put them.  There is also a silicone pot holder and the scraper for our glass-top stove.