Life Lessons

zil

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Actually, you can see this as an opportunity.

IMG_20190111_175914448.thumb.jpg.85e96b85fb3fe12a8a31a18104013c47.jpg

This is a mini-shelf with a hinged door.  Really useful.  We have a set of pots and pans with interchangeable handles.  Good place to put them.  There is also a silicone pot holder and the scraper for our glass-top stove.

Mine is a drawer that is part of the unit - fits under the vast majority of the oven and will hold several pans.

On 1/11/2019 at 8:56 AM, zil said:

Today's lesson: You can't hear the stove beep that it's up to temperature if the music is cranked up loud enough to rattle the windows.  (When you realize this, it's wise to turn it (the music) down before the beep that indicates your food is done cooking.)

Please feel free to share your lesson for the day - I'm sure we all have them, things you just have to experience yourself (at least a dozen times), things you plan to remember next time, things your parents never told you (or if they did, you didn't hear it because the music was too loud).

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Seventy years old and still learning - its good to see. 

Edited by askandanswer

Today's lesson: Sleep is good.  Or: You think more clearly in the morning.  Or: When you ask God to help you keep up the hard work of cleaning and reorganizing the house, He answers in the morning by reminding you of what you already have which can solve your problems.

(Spent considerable time last night trying to find foot rests to buy (on Amazon, of course) - I'm short, regular chairs are not comfortable to me without a foot rest, but most of the foot rests our there are not high enough.  This morning, I woke remembering that my ottoman is hollow and contains a mini ottoman, which works well as a foot rest under the desk where I do my journaling and scripture study.  This then let me stow some throw-blankets in the ottoman, thus freeing some storage space for other things.  One of the throw blankets then went over the back of the office chair, which has a zippered cover, which zipper gouged my wall when I wasn't paying attention - now the zipper is padded by the throw blanket, so no more risk.

And a platform my dad and brother built for my aging dogs (now in doggie heaven), so it would be easier for them to get in and out of the car, is now under the kitchen table (a.k.a. artwork station).

Further, while cleaning the floor, I emptied the bottom of the pantry and re-discovered the HUGE plastic cutting board that isn't used as a cutting board, but rather to take up space in the pantry.  This will now be the surface to which watercolor paper is taped before painting.  A bit of cardboard stuffed under the top end angles it just right.

No need for any purchases, no need to wait until spring (or build stuff in the freezing garage), existing stuff put to good use! :)

Now the irony - yesterday, after I finished the kitchen floor project, while wandering around the house looking for solutions to these problems, I discovered in one closet, a little steam cleaner mop thing that my husband bought eons ago, but never put to use, which I could have used to clean the kitchen floor instead of scrubbing on hands and knees.  Sigh.  No telling whether it would have made quick work of it - I don't even know for sure if it works / would have done the job.  But you can believe next time I feel like deep cleaning the kitchen floor, I'm going to try it.  Unless I forget its existence again. :rolleyes:  This is another reason I want my house to be empty (of all things I don't use regularly) - harder to forget what you own when you don't own anything you don't actually use.)

I have posted before about white water rafting - which is a microcosm for many life lessons.

1.  Some people feel it necessary, no matter where they are on the river, to think that we all need to paddle to somewhere else.

2. It is best for everyone in the boat to follow the directions of the boat caption - even if the boat caption is confused and wrong.  Working against your team is a greater mistake and puts more people at risk.

3. I have not figured out why this is but our Latter-day Saint culture has a very difficult time paddling together in unison.   It seems that there is always someone out of sync interfering with those closest to them - and they tend to blame everyone else.

4. If you go white water rafting - you will get wet.

5. What terrifies you as a novices becomes old hat when you are experienced.  What terrifies you as an experienced rafter - are novices' pretending to be experienced. 

6. If a boat capsizes and a parent is more concerned about taking care of their children than themselves - they should not allow them on the boat.  If a parent can trust their child enough to allow them to take care of themselves - then they are old enough to be a part of the adventure - otherwise either the child or the parent is not nature enough for the adventure. 

7. Of all things - panic is the worse thing and the most cruel thing you can do to you self and everybody with you.

The Traveler

On 1/13/2019 at 4:32 AM, zil said:

This is another reason I want my house to be empty (of all things I don't use regularly) - harder to forget what you own when you don't own anything you don't actually use.

This is a problem I often have. I generally have most things that I need - I just either forget that I have them, or can't find them when I need them. We spent a good amount of time in our family planning session on Sunday night discussing when and how we will do a major house clean up/clutter reduction.

On 1/10/2019 at 8:59 PM, MormonGator said:

Japan has an amazing heavy metal culture and one that shamefully, I was only introduced to very recently. 

They don't just have heavy metal (which is really cute metal) like this:

They also have screamo metal like this:  Which is just super awesome and blows KPop off the water.

When I was a teen-ager, I promised that when I have kids, I will never be like my parents and tell the kids to "turn off that noise!".  I will evolve musically and learn to enjoy my kids' music.

I was able to keep this promise for 17 years.... and only 17 years.  Jacob Collier broke me.