1000 years in hell??

dahlia

I was looking for something else (as usual) and came upon an article in 'Ask Gramps' about what happens if your kids can't join you in the eternities. In the response was, "If the children of the faithful couples, whose marriages remain in force for the eternities, stray from the gospel and live recreant lives, those children will not participate in the first resurrection, but will be remanded to the custody of Satan for a thousand years."  Wha? But what if they were good people, but just decided not to stay in the church?

And what about adult children of converts, who decide not to convert themselves? I understand there is probably a problem about them joining you in the Celestial Kingdom, but 1000 yrs w/Satan? 

I thought we were supposed to respect people of other faiths? It's kinda hard to say, "I respect you being a Methodist, but you're going to spend 1000 years with Satan. Sorry." 

Gramps’ answer could stand some clarification.  Scripturally, the thousand years would only be applied to those who are ultimately reaurrected to a Telestial glory—unrepentant liars, adulterers, murderers, and the other ne’er-do-wells described in D&C 76.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

2 hours ago, dahlia said:

I was looking for something else (as usual) and came upon an article in 'Ask Gramps' about what happens if your kids can't join you in the eternities. In the response was, "If the children of the faithful couples, whose marriages remain in force for the eternities, stray from the gospel and live recreant lives, those children will not participate in the first resurrection, but will be remanded to the custody of Satan for a thousand years."  Wha? But what if they were good people, but just decided not to stay in the church?

And what about adult children of converts, who decide not to convert themselves? I understand there is probably a problem about them joining you in the Celestial Kingdom, but 1000 yrs w/Satan? 

I thought we were supposed to respect people of other faiths? It's kinda hard to say, "I respect you being a Methodist, but you're going to spend 1000 years with Satan. Sorry." 

Lots of bad and phony doctrine there in that link to ask Gramps. Just a bad response, not well thought out at all.

If a person has been wicked, regardless of who their parents are, and they fail to repent in mortality they will go into spirit prison. There they will have the opportunity to repent, accept the gospel and the laws and ordinances of the temple. After they are washed clean and pay the penalty demanded by justice they can be released from spirit prison. How long that is no one knows. 

Our doctrine teaches that no one pays the price for their sins and becomes cleansed through that suffering. Only repentance and accepting Christ and then baptism has power to cleanse. No other process, whether it be suffering or pain cleanses.

My own opinion is that the wicked who choose not to repent are the only ones who remain in hell for the millennium. After the millennium is over, they will be resurrected, judged, deemed filthy still and then be cast into outer darkness with the devil and his angels. Repentance and baptism is an essential saving ordinance. No man can be saved from the eternal hell that awaits the wicked without repentance from all sin and baptism.

Edited by Rob Osborn

9 hours ago, Rob Osborn said:

Lots of bad and phony doctrine there in that link to ask Gramps. Just a bad response, not well thought out at all.

If a person has been wicked, regardless of who their parents are, and they fail to repent in mortality they will go into spirit prison. There they will have the opportunity to repent, accept the gospel and the laws and ordinances of the temple. After they are washed clean and pay the penalty demanded by justice they can be released from spirit prison. How long that is no one knows. 

Our doctrine teaches that no one pays the price for their sins and becomes cleansed through that suffering. Only repentance and accepting Christ and then baptism has power to cleanse. No other process, whether it be suffering or pain cleanses.

My own opinion is that the wicked who choose not to repent are the only ones who remain in hell for the millennium. After the millennium is over, they will be resurrected, judged, deemed filthy still and then be cast into outer darkness with the devil and his angels. Repentance and baptism is an essential saving ordinance. No man can be saved from the eternal hell that awaits the wicked without repentance from all sin and baptism.

I’m afraid your last opinion is not supported by our doctrine. I am glad you said it was an opinion.

12 hours ago, dahlia said:

But what if they were good people, but just decided not to stay in the church?

Other have answered the OP with greater knowledge and understanding than I would, but I'd like to address this question, because we (and Christians of all denominations) hear it a LOT when confronted with doctrines that require a certain standard within Christianity.

The answer is simple.  Because without the Gospel there is no universal definition of a "good person."  Take 10 different people and ask them to define a good person.  You'll get 10 different answers.  Sure, there are some universal elements like "A good person doesn't kill, steal or rape."  Okay, not much meat there.  Let's talk about the variances.

• When would a good person find it acceptable to lie?
  • When would a good person find it acceptable to sleep with someone?
  • How much money does a good person donate to charity?
  • Under what conditions would a good person be justified in killing?
  • Does a good person get an abortion?
  • What political issues does a good person support?
  • Who should a good person vote for?

Ask 10 different people that set of questions and you'll get 10 different answers I guarantee it.  And once you have those 10 answers, who gets to judge which among them goes where in the afterlife?  And once you've decided that, ask yourself what makes your perspective wise enough to make that call?  And, if you're a wise enough person to realize that it takes godlike wisdom to judge, then you know we have to leave it to God to do just that.  He's given us the standard. 

I'm still not sure I have an answer on people of other Christian religions. Just because someone decides not to become LDS doesn't mean they aren't good or have rejected the Gospel. I'm not talking about people who choose to go down the wrong path, just those who express their beliefs through some other Christian belief system. 

I guess I still need clarification - are you guys saying that because someone decides to remain Jewish, thereby rejecting the Gospel, that they are damned?  

This is what the Doctrine and Covenants Section 76 says will be the fate of those good people from other religions:

71  And again, we saw the terrestrial world, and behold and lo, these are they who are of the terrestrial, whose glory differs from that of the church of the Firstborn who have received the fulness of the Father, even as that of the moon differs from the sun in the firmament.
72  Behold, these are they who died without law;
73  And also they who are the spirits of men kept in prison, whom the Son visited, and preached the gospel unto them, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh;
74  Who received not the testimony of Jesus in the flesh, but afterwards received it.
75  These are they who are honorable men of the earth, who were blinded by the craftiness of men.
76  These are they who receive of his glory, but not of his fulness.
98  And the glory of the telestial is one, even as the glory of the stars is one; for as one star differs from another star in glory, even so differs one from another in glory in the telestial world;
99  For these are they who are of Paul, and of Apollos, and of Cephas.
100  These are they who say they are some of one and some of another—some of Christ and some of John, and some of Moses, and some of Elias, and some of Esaias, and some of Isaiah, and some of Enoch;
101  But received not the gospel, neither the testimony of Jesus, neither the prophets, neither the everlasting covenant.

It seems to me, from the above, that good people from other religions, if they continue to adhere to that other religion in the spirit world, and turn down the offers of accepting the gospel and the proxy work that has been done for them in the temple end up in the telestial kingdom. In speaking of the conditions of the telestial kingdom, Doctrine and Covenants 76:89  says

89  And thus we saw, in the heavenly vision, the glory of the telestial, which surpasses all understanding;

So it doesn't look like such a bad place to be, its just not as good as where we could be

44 minutes ago, dahlia said:

I'm still not sure I have an answer on people of other Christian religions. Just because someone decides not to become LDS doesn't mean they aren't good or have rejected the Gospel. I'm not talking about people who choose to go down the wrong path, just those who express their beliefs through some other Christian belief system. 

I guess I still need clarification - are you guys saying that because someone decides to remain Jewish, thereby rejecting the Gospel, that they are damned?  

The wicked go into hell at death. The righteous go into Paradise. In both locations the gospel is taught and those who accept will be saved. Everyone will get the opportunity to hear and accept.

2 hours ago, dahlia said:

Romans 14:11  For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.

At the second coming the identity of the Lord and his gospel and doctrine will be greatly illuminated.  And as written above evey knee shall bow, and tongue confess.

Those that have been confused by the philosophies of men will have the opportunity to revaluate their beliefs.  And everyone will have the opportunity to accept or reject the truth.

The 1000 year millennium will allow every child of God to accept the ordinances of the Gospel.

4 hours ago, dahlia said:

Remember the three degrees of glory.

4 hours ago, dahlia said:

The “Righteous” will be resurrected in the beginning. Not “Righteous Latter-day Saints”. There will be Catholics, Protestants, atheists, polygamists, Scientologist and others alive and kicking during the millennium. Even the beginning.

only righteous people will live on the earth at the beginning of the Millennium. They will be those who have lived virtuous and honest lives. These people will inherit either the terrestrial or celestial kingdom.” (https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-45-the-millennium?lang=eng)

17 hours ago, dahlia said:

I think the 1,000 years has been reduced to 666 years to give them more time to repent at home.

31 minutes ago, Fether said:

The “Righteous” will be resurrected in the beginning. Not “Righteous Latter-day Saints”. There will be Catholics, Protestants, atheists, polygamists, Scientologist and others alive and kicking during the millennium. Even the beginning.

only righteous people will live on the earth at the beginning of the Millennium. They will be those who have lived virtuous and honest lives. These people will inherit either the terrestrial or celestial kingdom.” (https://www.lds.org/manual/gospel-principles/chapter-45-the-millennium?lang=eng)

I've always found this interesting.  It doesn't say "may inherit".  It says "will".  It also says they will have agency and can practice their own religion.  It's confusing for me.

2 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Where do you see that?  Everything I've seen says "Spirit Prison".

Just remember that Rob doesn't really have his head screwed on straight regarding our belief in the afterlife.

43 minutes ago, Fether said:

You're conflating the Millennium with Resurrection.

Yes, it's true that those worthy of either Terrestrial or Celestial Glory will be alive and kicking during the Millennium, the resurrection has a schedule.  While "Latter-day Saints" is not the qualifier (per se) for those who rise, we are talking about those who inherit the Celestial Kingdom as those who will rise in the "morning of the first resurrection."

Two great resurrections await the inhabitants of the earth: one is the first resurrection, the resurrection of life, the resurrection of the just; the other is the second resurrection, the resurrection of damnation, the resurrection of the unjust. (John 5:28-29; Rev. 20; D. & C. 76.) But even within these two separate resurrections, there is an order in which the dead will come forth. Those being resurrected with celestial bodies, whose destiny is to inherit a celestial kingdom, will come forth in the morning of the first resurrection. Their graves shall be opened and they shall be caught up to meet the Lord at his Second Coming. They are Christ's, the firstfruits, and they shall descend with him to reign as kings and priests during the millennial era. (D. & C. 29:13; 43:18; 76:50-70; 88:97-98; 1 Thess. 4:16-17; Rev. 20:3-7.)

"And after this another angel shall sound, which is the second trump; and then cometh the redemption of those who are Christ's at his coming; who have received their part in that prison which is prepared for them, that they might receive the gospel, and be judged according to men in the flesh." (D. & C. 88:99.) This is the afternoon of the first resurrection; it takes place after our Lord has ushered in the millennium. Those coming forth at that time do so with terrestrial bodies and are thus destined to inherit a terrestrial glory in eternity. (D. & C. 76:71-80.)

At the end of the millennium, the second resurrection begins. In the forepart of this resurrection of the unjust those destined to come forth will be "the spirits of men who are to be judged, and are found under condemnation; And these are the rest of the dead; and they live not again until the thousand years are ended, neither again, until the end of the earth." (D. & C. 88:100-101.) These are the ones who have earned telestial bodies, who were wicked and carnal in mortality, and who have suffered the wrath of God in hell "until the last resurrection, until the Lord, even Christ the Lamb, shall have finished his work." (D. & C. 76:85.) Their final destiny is to inherit a telestial glory. (D. & C. 76:81-112.)

Finally, in the latter end of the resurrection of damnation, the sons of perdition, those who "remain filthy still" (D. & C. 88:102), shall come forth from their graves. (2 Ne. 9:14-16.) "Then is the time when their torments shall be as a lake of fire and brimstone, whose flame ascendeth up forever and ever; and then is the time that they shall be chained down to an everlasting destruction, according to the power and captivity of Satan, he having subjected them according to his will. Then, I say unto you, they shall be as though there had been no redemption made; for they cannot be redeemed according to God's justice; and they cannot die, seeing there is no more corruption." (Alma 12:17-18.) [Mormon Doctrine, p.640]

45 minutes ago, Grunt said:

Where do you see that?  Everything I've seen says "Spirit Prison".

"Latter-day revelation speaks of hell in at least two senses. First, it is the temporary abode in the spirit world for those who were disobedient in mortality. In this sense, hell has an end. The spirits there will be taught the gospel, and sometime following their repentance they will be resurrected to a degree of glory of which they are worthy." (Guide to the Scriptures)

45 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

Just remember that Rob doesn't really have his head screwed on straight regarding our belief in the afterlife.

It's screwed on straight. I'm wondering why we are discussing this issue. It's plainly manifest in scripture. The dead who repent will be saved. I teach nothing more nor less than this truth.

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

You're conflating the Millennium with Resurrection.

Yes, it's true that those worthy of either Terrestrial or Celestial Glory will be alive and kicking during the Millennium, the resurrection has a schedule.  While "Latter-day Saints" is not the qualifier (per se) for those who rise, we are talking about those who inherit the Celestial Kingdom as those who will rise in the "morning of the first resurrection."

You are right 👍