Sunday AM road trip

mikbone

The visit to Chico CA was inspired by the Camp fire that led to 85 deaths and 1300 displaced families in Paradise, CA.  

We live in Redding, CA (90 min north of Chico) where we also experienced wildfires and had been under manditory evacuation for 10 days for the Carr fire that preceeded the Camp fire by 2 months.  

The visit was likely designed to uplift the hearts of those whom had lost family, friends, property, and livelihoods. And we learned that President Nelson had just 2 days prior lost another daughter due to cancer.

Sister Nelson testified of her husband’s nightly revelation sessions and his yellow lined scratch pad that he continues to fill and maintain in his nightstand.  She alluded to a personal revelation that she received twice, seperated by 2 days, which let her know that Russel M. Nelson is the Prophet.

President Nelson then quoted Isaiah 61:3

To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified.

D4F23EFE-BB81-4123-AD49-157E7978362E.thumb.jpeg.e7c6e7bcca72225d3c9bd1e29cfd20e3.jpeg

As I listened to the words of Isaiah I pictured the devastation near my home.  The picture above is very representative of the fires.  All the homes burnt to the foundations, but occasionally trees between the homes were completly spared.  I realized that the ‘living water’ within the trees protected them from the fires.  When the fires burn trees or brush, the smoke is white.  But when homes burn with all the plastic and artificial components the fires rage MUCH hotter and burn with a black smoke.  This made me think that we should fill our homes with the living water of Christ and avoid plastic and artificial junk that pollutes our homes and country.

He then quoted John 3:16 & John 11:25-26

He then related the life story of Horatio Spafford and his hymn, It is well with my soul.  Which the chior later sang with an extra verse that Sister Nelson wrote. 

A393816B-303C-4FAA-A546-D23E5133BB10.thumb.jpeg.1655e853a36f597c4e6927131af6c1fc.jpeg

He then shared another story of his interaction with an African monarch while he was an apostle.  When they first met there was a translator that translated each word from English to the native tongue and back.  After the meeting, the monarch approached President Nelson and in perfect english (He had been educated at Oxford) asked him who he was. Apparently the monarch was puzzled, inspired, and realized that President Nelson was special.  One thing led to another and eventually they began to read and discuss the chapter of 3 Nephi 11.  The King stated that this knowledge of another testament of Jesus Christ was more precious to him then rubies or diamonds.

Pres Nelson then contrasted the things that the Nephites were taught with those that the Jews were not taught.  Other Sheep, children of the covenant, raising children resistant to sin.   He then quoted Jesus saying.

3 NE 27:27  Therefore, what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.

And although I have personally read this scripture many times, I understood it differently as President Nelson stated the words.  When he said “I AM”, I understood it in the same manner as it was explained to Moses in Exodus 3:14.

He testified of the Abrahamic covenant.  The gathering of Israel on both sides of the veil.  And also spoke of Patriarchal blessings, detailing that a new Patriarch had been ordained in the Chico Stake last week. 

He finished the meeting with an Apostolic promise. And after the closing prayer we sang all the verses to, We Thank Thee O God for a prophet.  And hummed another six or so verses until they left the building.

😊

Edited by mikbone