Joseph Smith Foundation, unlocking the mystery of two prophets

Barrett Maximus

Can someone please help me out here? I just started the month long free trial from living scriptures and decided to check out a documentary called " Unlocking The Mystery of the two Prophets"

I see it's produced bt the Joseph Smith foundation which I am ignorant of.

Is this something to steer away from? I don't seem to get a very good feel about it at all. Thanks

I don't know anything about the documentary you talked about, so I don't know what to respond on that.

We used to get the videos from the Living Scriptures with the Animated Scripture stories (Book of Mormon, New Testament, Old Testament) and items such as that. 

They are probably not the most accurate as far as scriptures go, but they are effective at helping children at least know the basic stories of some of the scriptures.  They are told more in the way a Disney story is told, but children, especially little children find them FAR MORE entertaining than trying to read the scriptures to them rote.

We also have the entire collection of biographical sketches from them about the Modern Prophets and something which I think is called the docudrama of the Church.  All of our items used to be videotapes (well the animated scripture stories, the docudrama and Prophets were always DVD items) and then we got the DVDs  We never were subscribed to their streaming service that I suppose is these days.

Taking a quick gander it appears that they have greatly increased their library past what they used to have.  I had heard that they were acquired by another company (which normally goes by NEST I think) and at one point employed an Anti-Mormon to edit their Bible (New Testament and Old Testament) videos to get further away from the Mormon ideas found within. 

Of what we got from them, I've always enjoyed watching the videos.  They are better entertainment than much of the dreck out there today.

On the Living Scriptures site today it looks like they have items that they created and items other people created.  Just like any service like this it probably has some good items and some bad items, some that are good for the soul and those that are not.

As stated above, I do not know anything about the particular documentary you named or the company itself, but the premise I read sounds far more like someone's speculation on a matter rather than any doctrinal basis. 

I'd probably rely on your own spiritual feelings on what is appropriate and what is not on what to watch (and not just on this site, but probably on most things).

Edited by JohnsonJones

5 minutes ago, JohnsonJones said:

I don't know anything about the documentary you talked about, so I don't know what to respond on that.

We used to get the videos from the Living Scriptures with the Animated Scripture stories (Book of Mormon, New Testament, Old Testament) and items such as that. 

They are probably not the most accurate as far as scriptures go, but they are effective at helping children at least know the basic stories of some of the scriptures.  They are told more in the way a Disney story is told, but children, especially little children find them FAR MORE entertaining than trying to read the scriptures to them rote.

We also have the entire collection of biographical sketches from them about the Modern Prophets and something which I think is called the docudrama of the Church.  All of our items used to be videotapes (well the animated scripture stories, the docudrama and Prophets were always DVD items) and then we got the DVDs  We never were subscribed to their streaming service that I suppose is these days.

Taking a quick gander it appears that they have greatly increased their library past what they used to have.  I had heard that they were acquired by another company (which normally goes by NEST I think) and at one point employed an Anti-Mormon to edit their Bible (New Testament and Old Testament) videos to get further away from the Mormon ideas found within. 

On the Living Scriptures site today it looks like they have items that they created and items other people created.  Just like any service like this it probably has some good items and some bad items, some that are good for the soul and those that are not.

As stated above, I do not know anything about the particular documentary you named or the company itself, but the premise I read sounds far more like someone's speculation on a matter rather than any doctrinal basis. 

I'd probably rely on your own spiritual feelings on what is appropriate and what is not on what to watch (and not just on this site, but probably on most things).

Thank you, your reply is very helpful

10 hours ago, Barrett Maximus said:

Can someone please help me out here? I just started the month long free trial from living scriptures and decided to check out a documentary called " Unlocking The Mystery of the two Prophets"

Is this something to steer away from? I don't seem to get a very good feel about it at all. Thanks

You could just as easily go to their webpage and read about the organization.

https://josephsmithfoundation.org

They even say to contact them if you have any questions.

M.

@Barrett Maximus I watched that documentary not to long ago and found it to be all over the place lacking a sense of direction leading to clarity. They seem to be suggesting that Joseph and Hyrum will be the two prophets in the Holy Land in the last days, but fail to provide anything convincing to back such an assertion.

On 1/14/2019 at 2:01 PM, Barrett Maximus said:

Here is the trailer: 

This is just a documentary that is looking into the possibility that Joseph and Hyrum are the fulfillment of the Revelation prophecy of two prophets. Take it with a grain of salt and pray for yourself to know if it is true. I personally try not to lock in prophecies as fulfilled until the Lord tells us it has been fulfilled by our living prophets.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't bother watching all of it, I came to the conclusion that it was false and in my opinion mixing false doctrine and prophecy with other uplifting LDS entertainment seems like spiritual roulette. I even canceled my living scriptures subscription. I'll stick with official church productions from now on.

1 hour ago, Barrett Maximus said:

...I even canceled my living scriptures subscription. I'll stick with official church productions from now on.

Seriously? From what I can tell Living Scriptures is a very pro-Latter-day Saint company. They cater specifically to Latter-day Saints. They are one of the good guys. I'm always surprised by this suspicious attitude. If it's not official or affiliated, it must not be good. Ridiculous. This forum is not affiliated with "your Church" @Barrett Maximus, but you still come here.

M.

On 1/20/2019 at 9:25 PM, Maureen said:

Seriously? From what I can tell Living Scriptures is a very pro-Latter-day Saint company. They cater specifically to Latter-day Saints. They are one of the good guys. I'm always surprised by this suspicious attitude. If it's not official or affiliated, it must not be good. Ridiculous. This forum is not affiliated with "your Church" @Barrett Maximus, but you still come here.

M.

Thanks for your opinion. Hope you have a great evening