So... Solo. The Han Solo Movie. The.... yeah.

unixknight

Here is a question about episode VII and VIII.

Why did they use Luke in the way that they did in the movie?    We don't know for sure, but I mean a real answer, not because they're idiots or something like that.

The paid Mark Hamill a boat load of money for what was really a minimal role in the movie.

My own guess is that they wanted to use Luke Skywalker in the movie to attract a lot of old fans, but that they didn't want him to overshadow the new characters or their stories, so they give him a minimum role.

Thoughts?  

43 minutes ago, Scott said:

My own guess is that they wanted to use Luke Skywalker in the movie to attract a lot of old fans, but that they didn't want him to overshadow the new characters or their stories, so they give him a minimum role.

I think that's basically it.  They wanted to appeal to the older fans and have Luke, Han and Leia there to pass the torch.  

"This is legitimate, real Star Wars!  We swear!"

(In Star Trek, this is exactly why they brought in Leonard Nimoy for the Abramsverse films.)

2 hours ago, Scott said:

Here is a question about episode VII and VIII.

Why did they use Luke in the way that they did in the movie?    We don't know for sure, but I mean a real answer, not because they're idiots or something like that.

The paid Mark Hamill a boat load of money for what was really a minimal role in the movie.

Thoughts?  

This one has been answered (or basically we put 2 and 2 together).  So, this is what happened.

Ok, before that... the way Lucas has done it after the success of Episode IV, Lucas puts a script plan for the trilogy.  So since episode V, he has a story arc for the trilogy before he makes the first movie (not counting ep IV).  It also helps that there’s only 1 director for the whole thing.

So Disney took over.  They had a vision team, a script writing advice team, a merch team... but I don’t know what Kathleen Kennedy was thinking because when he gave Ep 8 to Rian Johnson, she gave him blanket control over the entire movie.  And guess what, Rian’s vision did not at all coincide with JJ’s vision and Rian threw away everything JJ set up because he wants a “shock factor”.

So the Ep 7 plan was to build the tension by concentrating on building up the new villains so they will be “worthy” of facing the legend of Luke.  Well, idiot Rian decided nah, JJ put Luke in this island, let’s make him an anti-Jedi hermit.  Mark Hamill told Rian, that’s not what Luke would do and Rian says, yeah!  Exactly!  We’ll ahock the fans!  It will be glorious!

Anyway, after Ep 8 blew up and Kathleen Kennedy went on damage control, we find out that with all those teams Disney had, they never drafted the story arc for the entire trilogy!

Ok.  Now that I've had more time to digest that movie I have decided now that I didn't like it.  And it isn't for the reasons I mentioned in the OP.  Oh, and more spoilers.

I can sum up my dislike with one word:  Leia.

When Han Solo and Leia Organa fell in love in The Empire Strikes Back, it felt like a great love story.  It felt authentic, it was believable, and it was perfectly executed.  It felt like Leia had brought out the romantic, softer side of the rogue smuggler and that made her, and them as a couple, special.  

But it wasn't, was it?  Han had been in love before.  He'd been in love so deeply that he was trying to get ahold of a ship so that he could return to Corellia to reunite with her, even after a 3 year tour of duty in the Imperial military, becoming a deserter and a criminal, and having had precisely -zero- communication from her in the meantime.  And when they do reunite?  The flames came right back up and the only thing that took her out of the picture what that she turned out to have become evil and was working for Darth Maul.  🙄  Then she ditched him.

So now the whole Leia relationship feels weird.  (Mind you, Disney's been smashing that to pieces already since Episode 7, bit I digress)  Does Han still think about Qi'ra when he's smooching Leia?  I mean, I always assumed that he'd kissed other women before but that none of them were special like Leia was.  Did he ever tell Leia about Qi'ra?  I dunno maybe I'm making too much of this, but he uniqueness of the Han/Leia romance in Star Wars just feels diluted now.