Police Officer Douglas Scott Barney, II Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake, Utah End of Watch Sunday, January 17, 2016

mirkwood

Police Officer Douglas Scott Barney, II

Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake, Utah

End of Watch Sunday, January 17, 2016

doug.jpg

line.jpg

Police Officer Doug Barney was shot and killed after responding to an accident near the intersection of 4500 South and 2300 East, in Holladay, shortly after 10:00 am.

Upon arriving at the scene he observed a man and woman who had been involved in the crash walking away from the vehicles. As he attempted to make contact with the pair the male subject produced a handgun and shot him in the head, fatally wounding him.

Other responding officers located the subject on a nearby street minutes later. An intense shootout occurred in which the man was killed and another officer was wounded. The female fled the scene and remains at large. It was later determined that the male subject had an extensive criminal history with active state and federal arrest warrants.

Officer Barney was a U.S. Navy veteran. He had served in law enforcement for 18 years and was assigned to the Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake's Holladay Precinct. He was survived by his wife and three children.

I'm always humbled when walking into any random police station, and seeing their wall of fallen.  In my various jobs in the public sector, there has been maybe one workplace related death several decades ago.  But it's not the same thing - my job is to run away to safety, while their job is to run towards the danger to help.  Big difference - one that wins over 90% of the critics' moral arguments.