Twilight Series Discussion~ Book Spoiler

StrawberryFields

There are quite a few of us how have now read the first three books and are waiting for the fourth in the fall of 2008.

This thread will be just to discuss these books openly to give our thoughts and views. IF you have not read the books and plan on doing so this may ruin it for you.

Guest DolphinGirl

FYI - I just came across the following article . . .

Robert Pattinson, the actor well-known for playing Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter films, has just recently been cast to play a character by the name of Edward Cullen in a movie adaptation of the Twilight series. Stephenie Meyer, the author, is quoted saying:

Quote:

I am ecstatic with Summit’s choice for Edward. There are very few actors who can look both dangerous and beautiful at the same time, and even fewer who I can picture in my head as Edward. Robert Pattinson is going to be amazing.

The press release, which took place today, also had Erik Feig, Summit Entertainment’s President of Production, speak. He had the following to say about Robert:

Quote:

“It’s always a challenge to find the right actor for a part that has lived so vividly in the imaginations of readers but we took the responsibility seriously and are confident, with Rob Pattinson, that we have found the perfect Edward for our Bella in TWILIGHT.”

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/

Guest DolphinGirl

Okay, so what do you think about this actor as Edward?

Well, he isn't exactly how I pictured Edward in my head, but I am hopeful that he can pull it off. We will see . . .

Well, he isn't exactly how I pictured Edward in my head, but I am hopeful that he can pull it off. We will see . . .

I thought that the guys who she had pics on for Edward on her website were much better. :wub:

<div class='quotemain'>

Well, he isn't exactly how I pictured Edward in my head

I thought that the guys who she had pics on for Edward on her website were much better. :wub:

He was kind of a let down for me...Edward needed to be someone who made your heart stop! (No pun intended!)

I'm not sure how I feel about the Bella actress either....

• 1 month later...

Hi guys! I'm glad Sioux told me about the bookclub thread for Twilight, though I'll post here since I've read all three books.

I really love these books and can't wait for the fourth one to come out. I seriously think poor Jake is getting a raw deal. I already told this to Pam, but I think he's imprinted to Bella and just didn't tell her for some reason (maybe he wants to know she chose him out of love and not a sense of obligation? I don't know). She says in book 3 that Jacob is her soul mate, but that her love for Edward can trump even a soul mate. Edward, as a vampire, has a magnetic attraction that is virtually irresistible (and he can't help it), and Bella has been around him a lot. I agree with what Jacob said: Edward is like a drug for Bella. I think she's more addicted to him than anything. I think that if Edward wasn't a vampire she would never choose him over Jacob. Jacob would have zero competition whatsoever. That's my theory anyway. I'm still hoping Bella will end up with Jacob, or that if Jacob isn't imprinted to her that he will find the one he is supposed to be with. I don't want to see things end badly for Jacob.

I have to say that this is the first vampire/werewolf story in which I preferred the werewolves! Usually I like vampires more, but the way they're described in this book (cold, hard as marble, etc.) just doesn't seem very appealing. The werewolves are just more to my liking this time around.

I'm not sure how I feel about the casting for the movie. I loved Robert as Cedric in Harry Potter, but I just don't think he's anywhere near attractive enough to play Edward. Of course, since everyone's idea of what is and isn't attractive is different, there's no way they could find someone who would please everyone. Personally, even though he's too old and too dark-skinned to play the character, I've always pictured Orlando Bloom as Edward. As for Bella, I've only seen the girl chosen to play her in one film, so I don't really know much about her. Her performance in that film (and the title escapes me, sorry) was okay. She didn't really stand out to me, but she was definitely not bad either.

As for Jacob, I've always envisioned a neighbor of mine in his roll, so I doubt they could cast anyone I would agree with.

Someone mentioned in the other thread about the smells of each character. I know Bella describes Jacob as having a woodsy smell, but I can't remember if the scents of the other characters were ever described. Does anyone remember?

Okay, so that's my .02. Amazing how I can make those two pennies stretch, eh? Lol! ^_^

MormonMama loved your whole theory and interpretations of the characters. As I already mentioned to you...I'm hoping Bella goes with Jacob. I really do feel she would have more of a "normal" life with him than with Edward. She then wouldn't have to give up her father and mother. She wouldn't have to turn herself into a vampire and feeling the blood thirst that comes with that. I hadn't thought about the "imprinted" theory that you had. Glad you brought that up. Gives a little food for thought. I just can't wait for the next book. Isn't the next one the same as the first but through the eyes of Edward?

Isn't the next one the same as the first but through the eyes of Edward?

Is it? I didn't know that. That will definitely be interesting. It will give us a whole new perspective if she does it that way.

I was reading the second book again last night and saw so many things that seem to indicate that Bella is supposed to be with Jacob: the fact that she feels whole again around him, the fact that she has to fight against her feelings for him because she feels she isn't good enough for him ("damaged goods" is what she calls herself), etc. Of course, it could just be wishful thinking on my part, lol!

I believe it was.

I just remembered something that might throw a monkey wrench into my theory. At one point in book 3 Edward tells Jacob that he (Jacob) might someday leave Bella, that he won't be able to help it, the same way Sam could not help leaving Leah for Emily. That strongly implies that Jacob is NOT imprinted to Bella, as if he was you'd think that would come up in his thoughts while talking to Edward, especially after Edward's comment. You'd think Jacob's first thought after that would have had something to do with being imprinted to her. Edward might not have understood it, but it would have at least raised a question in his mind, and there's no indication that Jacob's next thought did so. It's not a definite theory-breaker. Edward said at one point that someone actually has to think something for him to be able to read it in their mind, so it's possible that Jacob never thought about it during all the times he was around Edward for some reason. However, as book 1 tells us that Edward's thought-reading ability can extend to 6 miles or so, and Bella seems to be constantly on Jacob's mind, it's highly doubtful that Jacob could have avoided thinking about it around Edward during all that time. But it definitely raises a strong possibility that my imprinting theory is wrong.

I wanted to post a link to an article on Stephanie Meyer's website that raises other questions about my theory: StephenieMeyer.com | Twilight Series | New Moon | The Story

In that article she talks several times about Edward being Bella's true love. Here's an excerpt:

"WHAT IF… What if true love left you? Not some ordinary high school romance, not some random jock boyfriend, not anyone at all replaceable. True love. The real deal. Your other half, your true soul's match. What happens if he leaves?

I had to answer the question for Bella. What does Bella Swan do when true love leaves her? Not just true love, but Edward Cullen! None of those other heroines lost an Edward (Romeo was a hothead, Willoughby was a scoundrel, Tristan had loyalty issues, Heathcliff was pure evil, Rhett had a mean streak and cheated with hookers, and sweet Gilbert was much more of a Jacob than an Edward). So what happens when True Love in the form of Edward Cullen leaves Bella?"

So, if Edward really is Bella's true love, does that mean that Jacob can't possibly be imprinted to her? Or does it mean that the imprinting isn't guaranteed to go both ways? What if the werewolf imprints to someone who doesn't want him (or her)?

I just can't help but feel that the whole issue of imprinting was brought up for a reason. I can't buy that it is of no consequence for the main characters in this story. And as Jacob said, in Quil's case the person he imprinted to is a 2-year-old child. Right now there's nothing romantic or sexual about it. He will be whatever that girl needs him to be as she grows up, friend, big brother, etc. Isn't that what Jacob has been doing for Bella, maybe without even realizing it? Just being what she needs most?

So is it possible for Jacob to have imprinted to Bella, even though her true love and soul mate is someone else? Is it possible to have two soul mates (in the context of these stories, keep in mind). And is it possible for a werewolf to imprint on more than one person? And why is it unusual for such a large number of the pack to have imprinted? Jacob mentions that it's rare, and the fact that 3 members of the pack had all imprinted had the others "worried". So what does this mean? What is the implication here?

Well, I for one can't wait until the next book, and I hope it answers these questions. And I just hope that, whatever happens, it doesn't end for Jacob like this. I don't think it will. Stephanie also talks about how much she really loves the character of Jacob, so I can't imagine she will just abandon him to such an unhappy fate. Time will tell I guess.

Also, if I read everything correctly, Breaking Dawn will NOT be the book written from Edward's perspective. That is for a future book, titled Midnight Sun. I still have no idea what exactly Breaking Dawn is going to cover (and it's also possible that the title will change, as Stephanie has said that it's a "working title"). According to a Wikipedia article (which usually needs to be taken with a grain of salt), Breaking Dawn will be the last book written from Bella's perspective, but will also include another point of view (they speculate it will be Jacob's).

If anyone is interested in that article, you can read it here: Breaking Dawn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm not happy with the casting so far at all. I think I'll be skipping the theater for this one. Even my daughter, who is a bigger fan of the books than I am and has been very eagerly awaiting this movie, now says she's disappointed and not interested in seeing it.