Only the seed of Aaron can be bishops?

Guest Scott

So in the future, is it true that only the seed of Aaron can be bishops?  Some of the information seems somewhat confusing.  

I am intentionally not going to provide sources because I want new ones to be read and discussed other than the ones I can find.

What to you think (and feel free to provide sources).

I assume that this applies to the Millenium when blood sacrifice will be reinstituted.

Pretty sure the first presidency has yet to invoke this rule and call a direct descendant of Aaron

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ldsscriptureteachings.org/2016/09/16/literal-descendants-of-aaron-and-bishops/amp/

https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Question:_Did_Joseph_Smith_teach_animal_sacrifice_as_part_of_the_"restoration_of_all_things"%3F

I don’t know that the office of bishop as we know it will exist in the millennium.  

If you closely read D&C 13 (and disregard for a moment the alternative wording in Oliver Cowdery’s letter as cited in JS-History)—it’s not at all clear that the Aaronic Priesthood itself will continue to function in its current form beyond the millennium.  Joseph Smith is reputed to have said that all priesthood is Melchizedek, anyways—it seems to me that the AP was an ad hoc development by the Lord, a sort of limited-priesthood package He gave and gives to men who for whatever reason are unprepared to exercise the fullness of the priesthood.  

Edited by Just_A_Guy

13 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I don’t know that the office of bishop as we know it will exist in the millennium.  

Me neither, but I am talking about before the millennium.  

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

Me neither, but I am talking about before the millennium.  

OK, but your OP speaks of the future as though some event may occur that would change the status quo.  Short of the Second Coming, what sort of event do you have in mind?

4 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

OK, but your OP speaks of the future as though some event may occur that would change the status quo.  Short of the Second Coming, what sort of event do you have in mind?

Well, let's first turn to the Bible Dictionary:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/aaronic-priesthood?lang=eng&letter=A

Although the Aaronic Priesthood is conferred in the Church today without restriction to the lineage of Aaron, the keys of this priesthood rightly belong to the firstborn of the seed of Aaron, and in the restoration of all things the office of bishop (president of the priests) will once again be conferred on one of that lineage, as it is designated by revelation to the president of the Church (D&C 84:14–21; 107:13–17).

Edited by Scott

31 minutes ago, Scott said:

Well, let's first turn to the Bible Dictionary:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/aaronic-priesthood?lang=eng&letter=A

Although the Aaronic Priesthood is conferred in the Church today without restriction to the lineage of Aaron, the keys of this priesthood rightly belong to the firstborn of the seed of Aaron, and in the restoration of all things the office of bishop (president of the priests) will once again be conferred on one of that lineage, as it is designated by revelation to the president of the Church (D&C 84:14–21; 107:13–17).

I was always under the impression that being of the direct lineage of Aaron just means, as long as you are worthy, that you have a legal right to hold the office of Presiding Bishop, not bishop of a ward. Especially since, according to D and C 65:19 they would be set apart by the hand of the First Presidency.

19 But, as a high priest of the Melchizedek Priesthood has authority to officiate in all the lesser offices he may officiate in the office of bishop when no literal descendant of Aaron can be found, provided he is called and set apart and ordained unto this power, under the hands of the First Presidency of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

That was always my interpretation but I could be wrong. 

4 hours ago, Scott said:

So in the future, is it true that only the seed of Aaron can be bishops?  Some of the information seems somewhat confusing.  

I am intentionally not going to provide sources because I want new ones to be read and discussed other than the ones I can find.

Here we go, this is a quote from Joseph Fielding Smith's Doctrines of Salvation

"The person spoken of in the revelations as having the right by lineage to the bishopric is the one who is the firstborn. By virtue of his birth he is entitled to hold “the keys or authority of the same.” This has reference only to the one who presides over the Aaronic Priesthood. It has no reference whatever to bishops of wards. Further, such a one must be designated by the First Presidency of the Church and receive his anointing and ordination under their hands. The revelation comes from the Presidency, not from the patriarch, to establish a claim to the right to preside in this office. In the absence of knowledge concerning such a descendant, any high priest, chosen by the Presidency, may hold the office of Presiding Bishop and serve with counselors."

Edited by Midwest LDS

4 hours ago, Scott said:

I believe the word "only" is where the confusion begins. I have understood that IF a person is able to lineage prove that he is a direct lineage of Aaron, then he has a right to the office of bishop and to serve in that calling.

I do not believe this forces a person though that they must serve in the office of bishop. So, if the direct lineage is not willing to speak out or up, then another would be called to server just as we see now.

Also from the teachings of Harold B Lee, a rather interesting story saying more or less the same thing.

"I remember a man, a big, heavyset, rough-looking fellow, dressed in a working garb, came into my office, and after a few pleasantries and a little introduction, he said to me as though to startle me, “I’m a literal descendant of Aaron.” Well, I said, “I have always been curious to see a literal descendant of Aaron.” And when he saw that I wasn’t too much impressed, he said, “And I have come to claim my right to be the Presiding Bishop of the Church.” “Well, now,” I said, “that is very well, but there is just one little matter that you have overlooked.” And he wanted to know what that was. And then I read to him from the revelations [that] a literal descendant of Aaron may serve without counselors, if called by the President of the Church and ordained to that office (see D&C 68:20; 107:76). “Now you just go back home and wait until the President of the Church sends for you, and then if he ever does send for you, you won’t have to have counselors to be the Presiding Bishop of the Church.” Well, he had lost that vital thing, which, if we understand, would keep us from being led astray. He failed to understand that only through that one man who is His mouthpiece on earth will the Lord reveal instructions for His church." 

Edited by Midwest LDS

It is my personal interpretation that 

• The Literal Descendant of Aaron being First Bishop is mostly about the final days prior to the Second Coming.  Up until then, the principle is true.  But in a practical sense it will never actually be practiced.  With the current system, it just doesn't seem there would ever be a situation where it would be the most prudent path to go.
  • The blood sacrifice thing really does appear to be something that is to be done near the Second Coming . . . like within a man's lifetime.  And it would probably be by a literal descendant of Aaron.  Although the prophecy could be fulfilled by one who holds the Aaronic Priesthood (since they are figuratively a Son of Aaron) my personal feeling is that this ordinance will be performed by a literal descendant.
  • I believe the blood sacrifice will be performed by the First Bishop himself.

The references are pretty much within the links provided as well as the posts above.  My reasoning and interpretation are my own.  It just seems to make sense to me.

On 1/17/2019 at 3:43 PM, Scott said:

As I understand it, they need not be ordained to the office, but they still must be called of God, and set apart as the steward of a ward.  And I believe this applies today.  In other words, you can't just walk into church and say, "I am a Levite and therefor your new bishop."

Edited by bytebear