Old Wives Tales.

Fiannan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a difference between superstitions and old wives tales?

Yes. I haven't looked through all of these to see if someone has already mentioned this one, but in my family, the "Elderly Womens' Myth" was that if you gained weight on the sides when pregnant, it was a boy. If you carried the baby in the front, it was a girl. That wouldn't be a superstition.

Elphaba

UFO's exist....

Sorry, once you call them a UFO, you have identified them...so they are really just FO's.

Therefore UFO's only exist until ya see 'em. Wait, now that I have said that they exist before ya see 'em,I identified them, so they are even FO's before ya see 'em. I just changed the world.

In yer face Einstein!!!

it is unlucky to pass anyone on the stairs.

Stairways symbolized the means of ascending to the abode of the gods and it was dangerous to trespass;

also, early stairways were very narrow and two people passing each other left themselves open to attack from behind.

Stumbling on the staircase is said to be a good omen and may indicate a wedding in the household before long.