Who called John the Baptist?

MrShorty

Let me say up front, that I don't really expect a definitive answer, since it seems that scripture does not say. As I was reading John 1, I was struck by verse 33, where the Baptist mentions "he that sent me to baptize with water" regarding where he learned of the sign of the dove. Whoever gave John the Baptist his calling seemed to anticipate Christ's baptism. Considering the Angel Gabriel's visits to Elizabeth, Zechariah, and Mary, perhaps Gabriel is a candidate. Considering that John is the son of a temple priest, perhaps this calling came through Jewish channels. Or some other source of the calling that has been left to our speculation. I guess that, for whatever reason, I had always seen the Baptist's calling as something that he almost undertook himself, and it was interesting to note that he was sent by someone to perform these baptisms and ultimately to baptize the Son of God and the Savior of the world.

Who knew his mission and calling...his mother knew his mission and calling. 

The following is NOT scripture, but is a passage that discusses and LDS view of it...

John the Baptist a burning and shining light

A few months before John’s birth into mortality, the angel Gabriel1 announced to Zacharias that he (Zacharias) would have a son, that his name should be John, and that his son’s mission would be to prepare the way before the Messiah.

When the time arrived for the Messiah to come to earth in the flesh, it was therefore also time for John, the forerunner, to begin his earthly mission.

and more so

The foregoing matter also raises a question as to the source of John’s priesthood authority. Zacharias was a priest after the order of Aaron and held true priesthood, as explained by the Prophet Joseph Smith in several statements.3 It is plausible that he should ordain John. However, a passage in the Doctrine and Covenants gives some information about this matter:

“For he [John] was baptized while he was yet in his childhood, and was ordained by the angel of God at the time he was eight days old unto this power, to overthrow the kingdom of the Jews, and to make straight the way of the Lord before the face of his people, to prepare them for the coming of the Lord, in whose hand is given all power.” (D&C 84:28.)

and finally

President Joseph Fielding Smith has explained the matter of John’s ordination as follows:

“The reason Zacharias could not ordain John is because of the fact that John received certain keys of authority which his father Zacharias did not possess. Therefore this special authority had to be conferred by this heavenly messenger, who was duly authorized and sent to confer it. John’s ordination was not merely the bestowal of the Aaronic Priesthood, which his father held, but also the conferring of certain essential powers peculiar to the time among which was the authority to overthrow the kingdom of the Jews and ‘to make straight the way of the Lord.’ Moreover, it was to prepare the Jews and other Israelites for the coming of the Son of God. This great authority required a special ordination beyond the delegated power that had been given to Zacharias or any other priest who went before him, so the angel of the Lord was sent to John in his childhood to confer it.”4

9 hours ago, MrShorty said:

Let me say up front, that I don't really expect a definitive answer, since it seems that scripture does not say. As I was reading John 1, I was struck by verse 33, where the Baptist mentions "he that sent me to baptize with water" regarding where he learned of the sign of the dove. Whoever gave John the Baptist his calling seemed to anticipate Christ's baptism. Considering the Angel Gabriel's visits to Elizabeth, Zechariah, and Mary, perhaps Gabriel is a candidate. Considering that John is the son of a temple priest, perhaps this calling came through Jewish channels. Or some other source of the calling that has been left to our speculation. I guess that, for whatever reason, I had always seen the Baptist's calling as something that he almost undertook himself, and it was interesting to note that he was sent by someone to perform these baptisms and ultimately to baptize the Son of God and the Savior of the world.

"We learn that he was “ordained by an angel,” when he was eight days of age, to overthrow the kingdom of the Jews and to prepare a people for the Lord. We learn also that he was baptized while yet in his childhood (D&C 84:27–28)." https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bd/john-the-baptist?lang=eng

We also know that baptisms were taking place long before John did it.  It's also in the Book of Mormon.

I did a little research to try to figure out how baptisms began, since it does predate Christianity.  I don't remember all the details now and I'm sure someone else here will be able to fill in the blanks, but there is a Jewish rite that symbolizes a cleansing, which I suspect is connected.

His father was not around to do it because he was dead.

Matthew 23

34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city:

35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar.

Edited by Emmanuel Goldstein

43 minutes ago, unixknight said:

We also know that baptisms were taking place long before John did it.  It's also in the Book of Mormon.

I did a little research to try to figure out how baptisms began, since it does predate Christianity.  I don't remember all the details now and I'm sure someone else here will be able to fill in the blanks, but there is a Jewish rite that symbolizes a cleansing, which I suspect is connected.

When Joshua (same name being Hebrew and Jesus being Greek) took over for Moses and before the Children of Israel crossed over the River Jordan into the "Promised Land" - Joshua cleansed all the Israel with a washing (immersion) in the River Jordan.  The place Joshua performed this ritual in Jordan was in the same location that Jesus was Baptized by John.  The precise symbolism is (in my opinion) in part involved in the reason Jesus told John that his baptism was necessary to fulfill all righteousness - which would include Joshua baptizing all of Israel.

The Traveler

Now, an intriguing aspect with regards to being ordained by an angel? As there would have been no resurrected beings who held keys (as Christ) had not yet risen, then it would have to have been a translated being (which would be an angel), who could lay hands on and bestow keys. Unless, of course, I am forgetting a principle.

Edited by Anddenex

Was this not the beginning of Christ's true church? Thus there was no need for resurrected beings to confer the keys, BUT necessary for Angels of God to do it?

In a talk by Mark E. Petersen  April 1979 General Conference - Signs of the True Church. 

When Jesus established his church nearly 2,000 years ago, it was in the hope that all mankind would come in a unity of faith and knowledge of the Son of God unto a state of perfection, that we might become Christlike in reality (see Eph. 4:13).

Now, during the Restoration of Christ's church Peter, James and John came to earth as resurrected beings to bestow the keys of the Melchizedek Priesthood to Joseph Smith, Jr, and Oliver Cowdery. When Peter, James, and John were mortal they were Jesus Christs Apostles and undoubtedly given these keys by Angels sent by God.

Edited by Iggy

5 hours ago, Iggy said:

Was this not the beginning of Christ's true church? Thus there was no need for resurrected beings to confer the keys, BUT necessary for Angels of God to do it?

In a talk by Mark E. Petersen  April 1979 General Conference - Signs of the True Church. 

Now, during the Restoration of Christ's church Peter, James and John came to earth as resurrected beings to bestow the keys of the Melchizedek Priesthood to Joseph Smith, Jr, and Oliver Cowdery. When Peter, James, and John were mortal they were Jesus Christs Apostles and undoubtedly given these keys by Angels sent by God.

Remember John is actually a translated being, not resurrected, as he is still walking this earth similar to the three Nephites.

Moses who had keys was translated. I am not remembering correctly, but Elijah or Elisha (I believe Elijah) was also translated, and we know "He appeared on the Mount of Transfiguration with Moses and conferred the keys of the priesthood on Peter, James, and John."

John the Baptist - Luke 1:17 - went forth with the spirit and power of Elias. One name or title for Elias is that of Elijah. If I were to take a guess it would have been Elijah who was sent forth to John the Baptist to begin his ministry and to ordain him as a forerunner. Just my thoughts.

On 1/23/2019 at 9:26 AM, unixknight said:

Moses 6 says that Adam was baptized:

64 And it came to pass, when the Lord had spoken with Adam, our father, that Adam cried unto the Lord, and he was caught away by the Spirit of the Lord, and was carried down into the water, and was laid under the water, and was brought forth out of the water.

65 And thus he was baptized, and the Spirit of God descended upon him, and thus he was born of the Spirit, and became quickened in the inner man.

66 And he heard a voice out of heaven, saying: Thou art baptized with fire, and with the Holy Ghost. This is the record of the Father, and the Son, from henceforth and forever;

Edited by Scott