Remember, Democrats Are NOT Elitists

Apparently Pelosi has been known to spend over $2MM in a single 2-yr term as a representative on luxury vacations on the taxpayer's dime.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/21/nancy-pelosi-travel-husband/

Beginning in 2009, after the media failed to follow up on concerns raised about Nancy Pelosi’s use of luxury Air Force jets to travel between her congressional district and DC, Judicial Watch’s Freedom of Information act requests exposed her abuse of this travel perk.  Judicial Watch uncovered that Pelosi’s military travel cost the United States Air Force $2,100,744.59 over one two-year period — $101,429.14 of which was for in-flight expenses, including food and alcohol.

Edited by Guest

One of the most wealthy politicians in our modern era was Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ).  He was born dirt poor and was a high school teacher before entering politics.  There is no other profession in this world that allows someone to become filthy rich without adding anything to the economy.  Even at a local rural level for small towns or county commissioners that serve at less than minimum wage can make themselves instant multiple millionaires by rezoning property for which they have some connection or payback.

Currently one of the most lucrative scams by politicians are investment that pay unusual dividends, speaking engagements, book deals (sometimes just being mentioned in a forward), charitable foundations and what I consider the worst - gifts .  All of which were standard Clinton policies but they are hardly exceptions.  It is my personal opinion that all citizens should be skeptical of any public servant that could easily make more $$$$ than what they earn in compensation for an elected office (think Trump and Romney).  I completely lost it when Senator Hatch in a reelection about 20 years ago announced that his election war chest did need a single cent from any Utah citizen.

And then, what I consider the worse of all - are politicians that say they will represent their constituents more than their party.  It would take a minimum of a chapter in a book to explain why this will not and cannot happen - not just at the federal level but even more so at the local and state levels.  Voting for someone you think will keep their party in check on platforms contrary to your and most citizens should be proof you are insane and should not be allowed to vote.

Our two political party system is seriously broken and is exponentially getting worse.  It is my personal opinion that if this is not fixed (just considering what I believe I have observed over the last 50 years - and I see noting to suggest that there is any effort to change anything concerning our two party system) that in 16 to 24 years freedoms and liberties in this country will be as bad or worse as Communism was under Stalin.  People seem to forget that Russia under Communism was better than living under the Zar or even other monarchs of Europe (in particular select monarchs in England, Denmark, France, Spain and Italy.)

The Traveler

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

One of the most wealthy politicians in our modern era was Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ).  He was born dirt poor and was a high school teacher before entering politics.  There is no other profession in this world that allows someone to become filthy rich without adding anything to the economy.  Even at a local rural level for small towns or county commissioners that serve at less than minimum wage can make themselves instant multiple millionaires by rezoning property for which they have some connection or payback.

So... what do you make of a President who entered politics a billionaire and 2 years later comes out with a diminished net worth?

15 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

So... what do you make of a President who entered politics a billionaire and 2 years later comes out with a diminished net worth?

You know, I've been thinking about that.  Here's my theory.

Trump really doesn't care about offending anyone because this is it for him.  This is his last thing to do on earth before he dies.  I think he fully expects to die in office or shortly thereafter. 

He doesn't care if he gets his business back.  He's left it in the hands of his heirs as it is, basically.  He's going to have enough to retire on in luxury.  And his kids get the rest no matter what.  He wants to leave a legacy for them.  That's all.

This is his last hurrah, his magnum opus.  That's why he's simply doing this 100% s if he were dying.  Maybe he is.

3 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

You know, I've been thinking about that.  Here's my theory.

Trump really doesn't care about offending anyone because this is it for him.  This is his last thing to do on earth before he dies.  I think he fully expects to die in office or shortly thereafter. 

He doesn't care if he gets his business back.  He's left it in the hands of his heirs as it is, basically.  He's going to have enough to retire on in luxury.  And his kids get the rest no matter what.  He wants to leave a legacy for them.  That's all.

This is his last hurrah, his magnum opus.  That's why he's simply doing this 100% s if he were dying.  Maybe he is.

The question is:  100% what?  100% following his strong convictions of making America great?  100% following his ambitions of corruption?  100% of prideful self-aggrandizing, without regard for what is truly good for the society he presides over?  100% oppressing the minorities he supposedly hates?

3 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

The question is:  100% what?  100% following his strong convictions of making America great?  100% following his ambitions of corruption?  100% of prideful self-aggrandizing, without regard for what is truly good for the society he presides over?  100% oppressing the minorities he supposedly hates?

1) I was addressing your question about "what do I make of a president who..."?
2) I have said from the days of the campaign that I have no idea what motivates the guy.  But whatever he believes in, he goes 100% into it.

1 minute ago, Carborendum said:

1) I was addressing your question about "what do I make of a president who..."?
2) I have said from the days of the campaign that I have no idea what motivates the guy.  But whatever he believes in, he goes 100% into it.

Okay, I'm going off the internet.  I can't seem to get anybody to understand what I'm saying today.

1.)  I know.  That's why I said... the question is 100% what... because if we can figure that one out then we can tell if Trump fits what Traveler is describing.

Okay, I'm done.  Might not be back for a while.  I need to fix my health issues (from the 2019 Weight Loss Group thread) and feeling like nobody understands a word I'm saying is not helping.

21 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I have a very good and close friend that is a billionaire.   I knew him when he and his wife was dirt poor - he was the son of a goat farmer.  He currently lives a low profile life on a small goat farm that is tended by him and his kids.  If you met him or any of his family on the street you would think them lower middle class - he also has a daughter serving on a mission.  It is possible that a billionaire is not an narcissist and ego maniac but it is rare and our current President is, without question, an immoral, narcissistic ego maniac on a power trip (not unlike almost all politicians and leaders of governments).   Power is not always about money.

With all being said about Trump there are a few good things I like about him being president:

1. Any effort by him to screw anything up - 90% of the media will let everybody know.  He is not going to get away with anything.  Most politicians can get away with murder.

2. He is not a politician and he is not smart enough to act like one - so as much has he wants and intends to be the smartest person in the room - he never is.  Thus, with all his desire - he will never be able to get his way or get away with much.  For example - he will never build a wall - but everybody will, for sure, know who in government is being bought and paid for by the drug cartels (why so many politicians are so rich).

3. He is exposing how corrupt, bad and even stupid and ridiculous the Washington establishment has become.

Sadly I do not think Trump will change much of anything - except expose how broken and divided our country has become, how close we are to civil war and how willing citizens are to follow anyone that will stand up to the politicians they hate.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
24 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I have a very good and close friend that is a billionaire. 

There are only 540 "billionaires" in America and even less in Canada. The odds of you knowing one are very slim unless you live in an elite enclave like the Upper East Side of NYC or Fisher Island. To make that money you need to be in the public eye. You can be a millionaire and live a relatively quiet life, but a billion dollars is a lot of money. I am slightly skeptical of your friends net worth. 

Edited by MormonGator

15 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

There are only 540 "billionaires" in America and even less in Canada. The odds of you knowing one are pretty slim. To make that money you need to be in the public eye. You can be a millionaire and live a relatively quiet life, but a billion dollars is a lot of money. I am slightly skeptical of your friends net worth. 

You are somewhat correct.  My friend is in the public eye because of his business and holding - for example he does have a private jet and never travels the airlines.  Though many know he is quite wealthy they think him somewhat eccentric and have no idea his net worth is over a billion.  Mostly because he prefers it that way.  I could provide a name and if you like I will send a private message - his status is public record.  But I would not post it on the internet but if I provide you a name by private message I would ask you to keep his privacy.

The Traveler

On 1/23/2019 at 9:50 AM, Traveler said:

One of the most wealthy politicians in our modern era was Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ).  He was born dirt poor and was a high school teacher before entering politics.  There is no other profession in this world that allows someone to become filthy rich without adding anything to the economy. 

Not true.  Drug dealing and various forms of slavery, both make it possible for some folks to become this rich (although they would argue that their products add to the economy).

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Traveler said:

You are somewhat correct.  My friend is in the public eye because of his business and holding - for example he does have a private jet and never travels the airlines.  Though many know he is quite wealthy they think him somewhat eccentric and have no idea his net worth is over a billion.  Mostly because he prefers it that way.  I could provide a name and if you like I will send a private message - his status is public record.  But I would not post it on the internet but if I provide you a name by private message I would ask you to keep his privacy.

The Traveler

I understand, and no, you don't need to give me a name. 

3 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Not true.  Drug dealing and various forms of slavery, both make it possible for some folks to become this rich (although they would argue that their products add to the economy).

Perhaps - but the examples are individuals that provide goods and services that people are expected to pay $$$ for and thus add to the economy.

The Traveler

On 1/23/2019 at 8:50 AM, Traveler said:

He was born dirt poor and was a high school teacher before entering politics.  There is no other profession in this world that allows someone to become filthy rich without adding anything to the economy.

Darn teachers.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:45 AM, Traveler said:

The Traveler

People forget that there are a lot of very rich people who are very good people and do a lot to help others. I am glad that you one. Thank you sharing, it boosts my faith in humanity. 

On a side note I know several poor people who are despicable and frankly evil people.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:44 AM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

People forget that there are a lot of very rich people who are very good people and do a lot to help others. I am glad that you one. Thank you sharing, it boosts my faith in humanity. 

On a side note I know several poor people who are despicable and frankly evil people.

Agree - those that are defined by money - generally speaking seem to be evil or at least tied to evil.  In Islam there are specific ways that money and wealth identify those that are evil.  Perhaps I should reference the term "filthy lucre" instead of money.  But #1 on the Islamic list of filthy lucre and the prime indication of someone in league with Satan is compound interest.  -- Which is also the #1 leading cause of the ever increasing separation between the rich and poor in our western culture.

The Traveler

• 4 weeks later...