Sometimes, ya gotta just put it down.

unixknight

Well, it's been about a month and I think I've found the balance.

I can pick and choose what news stories I pay attention to.  I don't need to dive headfirst into every outrage, every drama, every fool on TV grabbing their 15 minutes.  I'm not going to immerse myself in political podcasts, not gonna watch hours and hours of political commentary on YouTube, not gonna engage in every political thread that even remotely interests me.  

My outrage doesn't make the world a better place.  My lack of outrage makes my home a better one.  

It's just so easy to get sucked into the outrage machine.  It doesn't matter what side you're on politically, everybody gets outraged at the same incidents.  Maybe that's the one thing we all have in common.   We get outraged for different reasons, but we always get outraged at the same time.  

We can rise above that, guys.  We can be informed without being manipulated.  We don't need to derive a sense of righteousness by being mad at every injustice.  Don't fall for the clickbait.   

I used to think I was being better informed by watching videos or listening to commentaries by multiple people on the same subject.  What I learned is that all it did was make me obsess over things that aren't even important in my life.  It also meant that I was picking and choosing from a menu of opinions, rather than just forming my own.  I'm all done with that.  Maybe I don't NEED an opinion about every little skirmish between ideologies on the streets of our country.  Maybe I don't NEED to follow every little story blow by blow and I can afford to wait and see how it turns out.  

Around the time I decided to take that break was when the big story was the high school kids who were accused of harassing some guy in D.C.  For a few days there, it was all I could think about.  I was so angry at how unfairly these kids were being treated by the media, by their own church... But now, I understand they've filed lawsuits for defamation against the media outlets who attacked them.  Well good.  I hope they win huge.  That tells me we still have a working system.  Did I really need to hear commentaries on it by every political talking head on the Internet?  Am I more edified?  Not really.

Am I supposed to be all fired up over Jussie Smollett?   Meh.  He's probably not going to do prison time but the damage to his reputation and personal credibility go far beyond any of that.  He cried wolf, he got eaten.  End of story.  Sure, I could get all mad because on some level he's a symbol of what's wrong with the whole anti-Trump movement, but it's not like we learned anything new from this.  Leftists hate Trump.  In other news, water is still wet.  Some reported hate crimes are fake.  Tell me something I didn't know.  If I really want to know more, I know where the news sources are.  

So yeah.  I'll pay attention to the news and stuff, and I'll chime in on politics threads here too, but I'm done letting the outrage media live rent-free in my head.

13 minutes ago, unixknight said:

So yeah.  I'll pay attention to the news and stuff, and I'll chime in on politics threads here too, but I'm done letting the outrage media live rent-free in my head.

Meanwhile... I'm 2 hours 40 minutes into the Joe Rogan/Alex Jones/Eddie Bravo podcast.  It's highly entertaining it's sooo awesome.  :D

Guest Gallant Pioneer
On 1/24/2019 at 3:05 PM, unixknight said:

Every once in a while the relentless hammering of political topics gets to the point where I just have to set it aside and take my mind off of it for a while. 

I listen to political podcasts and watch videos on YouTube about political commentary.  I used to call myself a politics junkie, but I don't find myself particularly enjoying it.  I guess there's a part of me that feels like I should be aware, so that I can see trouble coming or know the issues so I can make informed decisions at the ballot box.  

But... it takes its toll.  I find myself being less patient with my family, less productive with my work and my hobbies because my mind is on all these issues, less spiritual, and less comfortable around my friends who are of opposing viewpoints.

And the truth is... so much of it is just noise anyway.  One side is constantly trying to keep me on high alert so I hate the other side, while the other side is trying to constantly keep me on high alert so I hate the first side...  There's media on one side telling me I'm supposed to live in a perpetual state of outrage over red baseball caps and private school curricula, while the other side lives on that absurdity to keep me outraged over the outrage machine.  Then the media wants me to be outraged at the outrageous things the other side says about the outrageous things the media wants me to be outraged at, which is outrageous, according to the outraged side that's outraged at the outrageous outrage over the outrage of the outrageous stories that outrage people who are outraged by the outrage outgrageoutrageoutrageoutrageoutrage...

"Mr. Unixknight, it seems your blood pressure is up since your last visit.  Do you have stress in your life?"

Why no, doctor... I have a great wife, great kids, a great job, great friends, a great house, and a  great ward I got to church with.  What's to stress me?  Oh, right...  I'm not outraged enough, according to everybody's news/commentary I hear, and half the things my friends talk about on all political sides.

Seriously.  When's the last time you  heard a national news report about anything that wasn't supposed to keep you outraged?  Or listened to a new commentary that wanted you to be outraged over something else?  

In advertising, they say that sex sells.  I say in the media environment, outrage sells.  It must be so, since that's all we get.  Even entertainment media is getting into the game with political pandering that just leads to more outrage, or outrage at someone else's outrage.

I'm tired of it, and I see through it, and I'm not playing anymore.  

I took the same decision last year. I just got fed up with the trigger happy reactionaries losing their minds over the slightest thing. 

I've lost interest in the political hosts on YouTube as well, they simply parrot the headlines and then put their spin on it but not before selling you a goofy t-shirt or a silly mug. 

I've felt a shift in my perception ever since reading ( Amusing ourselves to death) by Neil Postman. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 12:19 PM, unixknight said:

Day 7.

My wife said to me last night that my demeanor has changed noticeably since I took that break from politics. She says I'm less grumpy and more playful than I was.

Ignorance is bliss.

The Traveler

1 minute ago, unixknight said:

I wouldn't call it ignorance.  I call it focusing on the news items that matter.

I do not disagree - but there is a reason that in the last days - neighbor will take up arms against neighbor.  When we focus - there are things we ignore - which is the root of ignorance.

The Traveler

1 minute ago, Traveler said:

I do not disagree - but there is a reason that in the last days - neighbor will take up arms against neighbor.  When we focus - there are things we ignore - which is the root of ignorance.

I don't see how wringing my hands over every little outrage triggering event makes me a better informed person.  That kind of garbage is not only a distraction form the issues that actually matter, it saps one's spirit. 

Yes, I'm going to ignore things like Jussie Smollet and Brie Larson and Catholic students in MAGA hats.  That isn't ignorance by any useful measure, that's keeping a clean mental house.

Guest LiterateParakeet
On 2/28/2019 at 11:59 AM, Gallant Pioneer said:

I've felt a shift in my perception ever since reading ( Amusing ourselves to death) by Neil Postman. 

I've heard of that book but haven't read it. I'll have to put it on my list. Thanks for the mention.

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

I don't see how wringing my hands over every little outrage triggering event makes me a better informed person.  That kind of garbage is not only a distraction form the issues that actually matter, it saps one's spirit. 

Yes, I'm going to ignore things like Jussie Smollet and Brie Larson and Catholic students in MAGA hats.  That isn't ignorance by any useful measure, that's keeping a clean mental house.

I do not disagree. 99.9999 % of what is called news is actually biased opinion and unlikely to matter much in as little as a few weeks.   What I find almost comical is that much that is reported is not news at all - just old stuff being brought up over and over and over.  As a side note - one of the primary indications of higher than average intelligence is dislike of repetition (redundancy).   It is possible, since you're a bright intelligence, that you are annoyed and stressed with the repetition in the news. 

The Traveler

21 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I do not disagree. 99.9999 % of what is called news is actually biased opinion and unlikely to matter much in as little as a few weeks.   What I find almost comical is that much that is reported is not news at all - just old stuff being brought up over and over and over.  As a side note - one of the primary indications of higher than average intelligence is dislike of repetition (redundancy).   It is possible, since you're a bright intelligence, that you are annoyed and stressed with the repetition in the news.

Thanks... and maybe.  What seems repetitive is the themes.  You can almost categorize any of the stories into categories.  "Celebrity says something to alienate the fanbase."  "Confrontation occurs between members of opposing ideologies."  "New act of outrage revealed to be a hoax"  "Politician puts foot in mouth, suffers no consequences." 

You could almost design a drinking game around it. 

Edited by unixknight

Guest MormonGator

Choosing to unwind or take a break from the news is fine as long as you don't view yourself as more spiritual or in some way better than those of us who are news junkies.  

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

Choosing to unwind or take a break from the news is fine as long as you don't view yourself as more spiritual or in some way better than those of us who are news junkies.  

On the other hand - there is no reason to be different from someone else - unless you think that is some way - it is better.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Traveler said:

On the other hand - there is no reason to be different from someone else - unless you think that is some way - it is better.

Maybe. Remember though that just because you (generic) don't understand someones hobbies, or how someone could be spiritual and still have said hobbies doesn't mean those hobbies are in some way immoral or damaging. I see this all the time. All the time. It's so annoying. 

Guest Gallant Pioneer
3 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I've heard of that book but haven't read it. I'll have to put it on my list. Thanks for the mention.

You'll never look at your TV the same again. 

18 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Maybe. Remember though that just because you (generic) don't understand someones hobbies, or how someone could be spiritual and still have said hobbies doesn't mean those hobbies are in some way immoral or damaging. I see this all the time. All the time. It's so annoying. 

There are two ways to look (or try to understand) at your statement.  The first I would say is given prophetic importance in Moroni chapter 10 and concerns spiritual gifts.  The second way is that of the world - based in pride and personal gratification.  I am personally inclined to think that hobbies are most likely to be a mixture of the two.  Enough of one that an individual can justify that their time and talents are somehow helping to build up the kingdom of G-d and yet enough of another that someone else can sense pride and personal gratification.

With that said - the spectrum of possibilities is such that some hobbies are more obvious to lend to the spiritual than others.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
21 minutes ago, Traveler said:

There are two ways to look (or try to understand) at your statement.  The first I would say is given prophetic importance in Moroni chapter 10 and concerns spiritual gifts.  The second way is that of the world - based in pride and personal gratification.  I am personally inclined to think that hobbies are most likely to be a mixture of the two.  Enough of one that an individual can justify that their time and talents are somehow helping to build up the kingdom of G-d and yet enough of another that someone else can sense pride and personal gratification.

With that said - the spectrum of possibilities is such that some hobbies are more obvious to lend to the spiritual than others.

The Traveler

There is a third way. And that way is, "just because you (generic) don't understand someones hobbies, or how someone could be spiritual and still have said hobbies doesn't mean those hobbies are in some way immoral or damaging."

15 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

There is a third way. And that way is, "just because you (generic) don't understand someones hobbies, or how someone could be spiritual and still have said hobbies doesn't mean those hobbies are in some way immoral or damaging."

I think I can agree with that - at least to some degree.  However, I think we have all encountered someone doing things that are not helping them spiritually and yet they claim to feel closer to G-d in doing it.  I have dealt with many that have put away their covenants and quit going to church that claim they "feel" spiritually closer to G-d than they did trying to live their covenants while going to church.

I am inclined to think (and this is from my own experience) if we do not self evaluate and seek spiritual guidance with our hobbies - that they can become too important and detract from other "things" that are more important.

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I have dealt with many that have put away their covenants and quit going to church that claim they "feel" spiritually closer to G-d than they did trying to live their covenants while going to church.

Um, that has nothing to do with what I'm saying. 

What I'm saying is that I often see people thinking/expressing "How can you be a news junkie/play Dungeons and Dragons/listen to heavy metal/not enjoy camping etc" and still claim to be spiritual!!?" Very easily. Because hobbies, for the most part, have nothing to do with how spiritual someone is. Just because you (generic, generic, generic) don't understand how someone can be spiritual and enjoy X doesn't mean they can't be spiritual and still enjoy X. 

4 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Um, that has nothing to do with what I'm saying. 

What I'm saying is that I often see people thinking/expressing "How can you be a news junkie/play Dungeons and Dragons/listen to heavy metal/not enjoy camping etc" and still claim to be spiritual!!?" Very easily. Because hobbies, for the most part, have nothing to do with how spiritual someone is. Just because you (generic, generic, generic) don't understand how someone can be spiritual and enjoy X doesn't mean they can't be spiritual and still enjoy X. 

Perhaps we are disconnecting because I am thinking and reflecting on myself and my hobbies and how I attempt to keep my own life in balance.  I assume that you are talking about yourself and your experiences.  I am often spiritually inspired while cycling and skiing.  I have learned many life lessons, especially when competing and attempting to improve.  I also enjoy better health than most (especially for my age).   But I also find that I can become too involved (prideful and selfish) when I take my hobbies too seriously.  I recall one discussion with my wife because my bicycle cost more than our family car.  I try to stay current with my own solutions to things by learning how others deal with theirs.  

When someone says they do not see any problem - I am left thinking they are not paying attention either because that are not trying to maintain a balance or they have no intention to do so.  It is not so much a judgement of them as it is a projection of understanding myself.

The Traveler