Sometimes, ya gotta just put it down.

unixknight

1 hour ago, Traveler said:

Perhaps we are disconnecting because I am thinking and reflecting on myself and my hobbies and how I attempt to keep my own life in balance.  I assume that you are talking about yourself and your experiences.  I am often spiritually inspired while cycling and skiing.  I have learned many life lessons, especially when competing and attempting to improve.  I also enjoy better health than most (especially for my age).   But I also find that I can become too involved (prideful and selfish) when I take my hobbies too seriously.  I recall one discussion with my wife because my bicycle cost more than our family car.  I try to stay current with my own solutions to things by learning how others deal with theirs.  

When someone says they do not see any problem - I am left thinking they are not paying attention either because that are not trying to maintain a balance or they have no intention to do so.  It is not so much a judgement of them as it is a projection of understanding myself.

When I was a kid, I went to a Catholic school, and we were taught a song.  I think it was a hymn, not sure.  Part of it went like this:

"All that I am, all that I do, all that I'll ever have I offer now to you.  Take and sanctify thee gifts, for Your honor, Lord.  Knowing that I love and serve you is enough reward.  All that I dream, all that I pray, all that I'll ever make I give to you today."

That resonated with me, because most, if not all, of my hobbies involve repairing or making things.  Even things that are silly in the grand scheme of things feel spiritual to me.  My collection of Federation Starship models, my Imperial Space Marine armor, all the stories, software and D&D modules I've ever written, all the model rockets I've built, all the miniatures I've ever painted... all of it...  When I'm working on these things I keep God in mind, as the benefactor of whatever skills and talents I possess that allow me to do these things.  I feel a surge of emotion inside me when I imagine what it would be like to someday lay every single thing I've ever built, made or written at the feet of my Heavenly Parents.  I don't know that it will ever literally be so, but it's a daydream that I have. 

To bring it back to the topic... This is the stuff that is worthwhile.  My time is far better spent exercising the abilities given to me by God than to stew in outrage over events I cannot control.