Dating Services

Traveler

First - I must say that I am not using or interested in using any dating service.  Never-the-less from time to time there are dating services recommended when I use the internet.  For example, I listen to Pandora while working on or using my computer and there are picture of lovely ladies that a dating service is trying to recommend to me.  As lovely as the ladies are - they are the same ladies that were recommended as much as 15 or so years ago.  I would think this would indicate that they are not very good prospects for dating if after 15 years they have not found anyone to date yet.  I am inclined to think that advertising on the internet is somewhat deceptive - at least concerning some dating services.

Another odd thing I have noticed that any searches that my wife initiates will cause advertising on my work computer.  I am convinced that this is because we use the same modem.  I like to joke with my wife concerning bra and swimsuit advertisements - I really do not need to see these things (unless she is in them).

The Traveler

42 minutes ago, Traveler said:

First - I must say that I am not using or interested in using any dating service.  Never-the-less from time to time there are dating services recommended when I use the internet.  For example, I listen to Pandora while working on or using my computer and there are picture of lovely ladies that a dating service is trying to recommend to me.  As lovely as the ladies are - they are the same ladies that were recommended as much as 15 or so years ago.  I would think this would indicate that they are not very good prospects for dating if after 15 years they have not found anyone to date yet.  I am inclined to think that advertising on the internet is somewhat deceptive - at least concerning some dating services.

Dating Service Advertising use stock photos and not actual photos from the membership.

42 minutes ago, Traveler said:

Another odd thing I have noticed that any searches that my wife initiates will cause advertising on my work computer.  I am convinced that this is because we use the same modem.  I like to joke with my wife concerning bra and swimsuit advertisements - I really do not need to see these things (unless she is in them).

The Traveler

Things such as Adsense don't use modem identifier to tailor ads.  The ads are usually tailored to the website visitors and content.  If you're using google for searches, chances are, you and your wife are using the same google account so the ads get tailored to that account's search pattern.

A few years ago I was gettting daily e-mails from advertizers offering to lengthen my manhood.

There are probably thousands of them in my spam mail...

Really?  Who falls for this crap.

I know I never searched it on the web, and my wife claims she never did...

F202D889-FF49-4FFB-8462-ED946A174208.gif.d9020343be814bff72a772dccf29d68d.gif

Edited by mikbone

55 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

Things such as Adsense don't use modem identifier to tailor ads.  The ads are usually tailored to the website visitors and content.  If you're using google for searches, chances are, you and your wife are using the same google account so the ads get tailored to that account's search pattern.

Kinda.  It's a combination of things.  Some will read the cookies your browser has stored.  Others will go by the IP address, in which case then yes, your modem (or router) will be the common thread that results in ads being shared across machines in the household.

Keep that in mind if your kids have Internet connected devices and you've been watching inappropriate material on yours.

30 minutes ago, mikbone said:

Really?  Who falls for this crap.

You'd be surprised.

Have you ever noticed, in a lot of those phishing E-mails how easy they are to spot due to bad grammar and spelling, such that they couldn't possibly have actually come from eBay or the IRS or wherever?  That's not an oversight.  That's on purpose.  They do it because they don't want to waste time on people who are smart enough to sniff them out at a later stage in the scam.   They want stupid/naieve/inexperienced with the Internet people, and that's how they weed them out.  It's actually a pretty successful approach, as evidenced by the fact that it... never... stops.

That tells us that you can never underestimate the value of marketing to the dumb.

I'm sure there is a lot of doo doo to wade through on these sites.  That being said...……..

I know quite a few married couples who met through the internet.  A nephew of mine is one of them.  He and his wife were at the house last night with their one year old.  Delightful family.

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Dating Service Advertising use stock photos and not actual photos from the membership.

Really - How come you know this?  😲

This reminds me of the cruse comedian that said , "For those of you that do not know yet but the water in your toilets is salt water - for those of you that have already figured this out - boy do I feel sorry for you."

The Traveler 

2 hours ago, Traveler said:
6 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Really - How come you know this?

Nah, Traveler, this is a "How come you DON'T know this?" moment.  Not the other way around.  Part of being all grown up and having your big-girl online britches pulled up, is to know about clickbait, popup ads, fake news, multileveled ironic memes, and the thriving stock photo industry.  Featuring everything from hands, to faces, to body types, to specific emotions, to group photos.  If you have a body, you can make a few bucks posing as a dead body in your underwear covered by blood for use in "news stories" about crime or Trump or whatever.

And yes, this knowledge is supposed to come pretty quickly after climbing into the toilet bowl known as "teh interwebs".  If your defense is something like "because I avoid being online like the plague", then you have my vote for resident of New-City-Of-Enoch.  Once you live there, please consider ordering from Amazon, so the delivery people have a chance to visit.

Edited by NeuroTypical

32 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

Nah, Traveler, this is a "How come you DON'T know this?" moment.  Not the other way around.  Part of being all grown up and having your big-girl online britches pulled up, is to know about clickbait, popup ads, fake news, multileveled ironic memes, and the thriving stock photo industry.  Featuring everything from hands, to faces, to body types, to specific emotions, to group photos.  If you have a body, you can make a few bucks posing as a dead body in your underwear covered by blood for use in "news stories" about crime or Trump or whatever.

And yes, this knowledge is supposed to come pretty quickly after climbing into the toilet bowl known as "teh interwebs".  If your defense is something like "because I avoid being online like the plague", then you have my vote for resident of New-City-Of-Enoch.  Once you live there, please consider ordering from Amazon, so the delivery people have a chance to visit.

This is the greatest post I've seen in a long time...

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

Really - How come you know this?  😲

Same way I know that there are women who sell their used unwashed underwear for at least $25 a pop.  Some enterprising ones could go for $200.  Each.

Same way I know that a bunch of women who make money off the internet selling pictures and videos and chats with incels got reported to the IRS by those same incels.  Hah hah.

The internet is the wild, wild west.

Edited by anatess2

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Same way I know that there are women who sell their used unwashed underwear for at least $25 a pop.  Some enterprising ones could go for $200.  Each.

Do these guys not know about Goodwill?

(Yeah, seriously; I was in one a couple weeks ago that had a few pairs of underwear on the shelf not in any sort of wrapper.   Considering how cheap their still-wrapped surplus/seconds/whatever ones are, I didn't bother to check the used prices.)

In my initial read of the OP I thought this was a request for recommendations for dating websites.  The first sentence is what did it.  But it turns out that this is a discussion of why on earth one gets dating websites in advertising presented to one on the internet. 

I found my wife on an LDS-oriented dating website, by the way.

9 hours ago, NightSG said:

Do these guys not know about Goodwill?

(Yeah, seriously; I was in one a couple weeks ago that had a few pairs of underwear on the shelf not in any sort of wrapper.   Considering how cheap their still-wrapped surplus/seconds/whatever ones are, I didn't bother to check the used prices.)

Used underwear in Goodwill is usually washed.  ;)

9 hours ago, Scott said:

Does anyone use FB and get a bunch of ED ads?  I never look up that stuff on the net.  

You didn't, but at least one of your friends did.

So here's a little insight into Facebook's ad algorithm I learned in class when I was working at Johns Hopkins.  (One of the perks of working at the University was that you could sit in on classes in the lecture hall in the building where I worked, if the subject was in any way related to our work.)

Facebook's first choice in targeting its ads is to look at your own posts, likes, cookies, browser history, etc.  Now, because of some of the privacy settings it might not be able to access all of it.  Thus, it has to come up with other ways of trying to determine how to target ads that would be relevant to you.

One of the ways it does this is by looking, not at your posts and likes, but your friends' posts, cookies, browser history and likes.  Typically, people in a circle of friends tend to share interests, so if you're friends with a bunch of people who all like NFL football, then there's a good chance you do too and you'll get ads for NFL stuff.  So while you may never have done any searches for ED meds online, if one or more of your friends did, then it will sometimes target you, and their other friends, for such ads.

This is how we know Facebook doesn't care a whit about your privacy. It could be NFL merch... but it could also be diabetes supplies, ED meds, sleep apnea supplies, etc.  Medical privacy is a joke on Facebook.  It wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to deduce who's online looking at any particular type of stuff by seeing what groups of friends get what ads.

Edited by unixknight

15 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

For the record I hate to shop - even though my big-girl wife (who wears much more dominant britches) loves to shop and is a world class gold medal shopper (my car is over 25 years old and officially is classified as an ancient relic - as am I).  I use the internet for information and am confused at the adds that come my way - especially since I never shop - except for skiing and cycling stuff - but I never get adds for that?  

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

13 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Same way I know that a bunch of women who make money off the internet selling pictures and videos and chats with incels got reported to the IRS by those same incels.  Hah hah.

The internet is the wild, wild west.

And all this time - I thought I was odd.  Side note - I love reading your posts.  You have this way of coming up with things I never see or notice - except for the unwashed underwear thing - I could have completed my entire mortal probation without knowing that - would not have missed it.

The Traveler

20 minutes ago, Traveler said:

And all this time - I thought I was odd.  Side note - I love reading your posts.  You have this way of coming up with things I never see or notice - except for the unwashed underwear thing - I could have completed my entire mortal probation without knowing that - would not have missed it.

The Traveler

Good thing I didn't mention how you can make $13,000 a year selling your poop to fecal bacteriotherapy patients.  ;)

Wild, wild west, I tell ya.

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

Good thing I didn't mention how you can make $13,000 a year selling your poop to fecal bacteriotherapy patients.  ;)

Wild, wild west, I tell ya.

Crap - now you have gone too far for sure on the wild wild west internet thing.

The Traveler